lightheadedness/dizzyness

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by clarnet73, Dec 9, 2010.

1. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 9, 2010

Ever since I woke up this morning, I've had these on-and-off feelings of lightheadedness and trouble with my balance. I noticed it when I was half-asleep and crossing my room to snooze my alarm clock, and the 3 other times I did that before i turned it off and finally decided to get up. I chalked it up to only being half-awake... but it's continued. Mostly if I'm sitting down, it's not too bad. But if I go to stand up quickly, I have to catch my balance... turn around too fast... same problem.

This is NOT something I've ever experienced before. Does anyone have ideas as to what might be causing it, or what to do about it?

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Dec 9, 2010

Congestion and infection in the your ears will cause those symptoms.

4. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Dec 9, 2010

Do you have high blood pressure or any blood sugar issues (high or low)?

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2010

Sinuses. I woke up the exact same way yesterday. I have had it happen before so I knew what it was and went straight to the doctor. It can cause congestion in your ears, which can make you really dizzy. If it has never happened before, I would go to the doctor, but I most likely that is what it is. They can give you antibiotics if you have an infection.

And for the record, when I got up yesterday, the dizziness was my only symptom. I didn't feel congested at all. So you don't have to be stuffed up for it to be your sinuses.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 9, 2010

hmmm... maybe I'll stop by the Walgreen's clinic and see if that's it... I don't feel congested at ALL, have never had blood pressure issues, or blood sugar issues. Every time I've had those checked, they come out right in the "normal" range.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2010

Are you pregnant?

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 9, 2010

Nope.

Funny, that was the first thing my TA said to me this morning when I told her, too.

Not a chance :)

9. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Dec 9, 2010

Do you have high blood pressure or any blood sugar issues (high or low)?

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 9, 2010

nope... every time I've ever had them checked, they came out normal.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2010

There's a condition where your blood pressure lowers when you stand up. I forget what it's called, but it's not all that uncommon. Maybe that's something to ask your doctor about?

12. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 9, 2010

It may be possible that your blood sugar level dropped too low over night. If it did and it didn't 'rebound' when you woke up, it could explain why you're feeling so lightheaded and dizzy today.

But I'd have a doctor not only check blood sugar levels but what others were saying too. Sinuses or even an ear infection.

I am hypoglycemic so I'm used to randomly getting lightheaded or dizzy if I don't eat right, etc. But two years ago, a few months after I started working, I kept getting really dizzy. It was all day and all night for two weeks. I thought it was that I couldn't get my sugar levels raised so I just kept snacking in between meals. After two weeks I decided to go to the walk-in-clinic. It turns out it wasn't because of my hypoglycemia. I had a double ear infection; the doctor couldn't believe I was able to hear because both of my ears were completely clogged. My ears weren't even hurting.

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 9, 2010

Thanks, guys... I'm going to stop by one of the walk-in places either this afternoon after my class or tomorrow right after work and see what they can tell me.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2010

That's the same thing I am fighting right now. She said the one is completely clogged and couldn't believe it didn't hurt. And like I said, other than the dizziness, I had NO other symptoms this time. I would still say if you woke up with it and it never happened before, that's what it is.

15. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Dec 9, 2010

Another reason could be simply getting up too quickly. I know if I jump out of bed, etc I can feel lightheaded/unbalanced so I sit up until I feel like I am ready to stand up and that helps.

I hope you feel better soon.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 9, 2010

Those inner ear things are notorious for causing dizziness. You can even get vertigo. What did the doctor say, clarnet?

17. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 10, 2010

Syncope.

it could be in the cardiovascular system or it could be a neurologic syncope.

try getting out of bed slowly tomorrow. Take a few seconds to wake up fully.

Or else you'll have balance like me :p

My balance is horrendous most of the time, but much worse at night when tired.

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 10, 2010

I'm going this afternoon... by the time I got to the walk-in place yesterday, the line was rediculous. If i go right after school today, I have more time :)

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 10, 2010

Good luck!

20. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 10, 2010

Thinking of you and good luck!

21. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 13, 2010

When I went to the Walgreen's clinic, she found a bunch of impacted wax in my right ear... cleaned that out (wow, the peroxide bubbling sure feels wierd!!!) and found a little water behind my ear drum... so she told me to get the Sudafed from behind the counter and put me on a nasal spray. Definately no ear infection and BP came out fine from different positions.

I'm feeling lots better now :)

22. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2010

That makes sense. I've had a cold this last week. Friday night, my wife told me to get up and fix the star on the Christmas tree. I stood up abruptly, reached up and nearly lost my balance and fell over.

23. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 13, 2010

Glad to hear that it wasn't anything serious. Feel better!

24. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2010

That's why when I was sick last week and home from work with dizziness, my boyfriend came home to find the tree decorated on the bottom 2/3 but not the top. It stopped right at my eye level. I couldn't look up any more than that! (It's done now though.)