Light the Night

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by leighbball, Aug 23, 2007.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2007

I wasn't sure if I should post this or not, but you guys are like an extended family to me, so I figured I would go ahead with it;)

Anyway, I've talked in the past about losing my mom when I was 4 and how hard its been and stuff. Its been 22 years, which I still find hard to believe. But I feel good that I honor my mom by working with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and specifically the Light the Night walks. My mom died of lymphoma.

I raise money every year for the LTN walk. I don't do it for the incentives, although after 7 years I have my own LTN wardrobe! My main goal is that no daughter ever loses her mom to blood cancer again. My dream is still a long way off, but I'd like to think my contributions over the years have helped just a wee bit.

If any of you are willing to contribute to my fundraising efforts this year, it would mean a lot. You can even just check out my page to see my favorite picture of me and my mom from when I was 2 or so. :)

Obviously I know you probably have a lot of charities you give to and I don't want anyone to feel obligated or offended that I posted this...just wanted to share with you guys b/c we share so much of our lives on here!

Here's my site: http://www.active.com/donate/ltnWestmo/2145_LGarretLTN5

Thanks for reading this! :D

3. mincc

mincc Companion

Aug 23, 2007

Leigh,

I love that picture. It is beautiful.

I am so sorry for your loss.

My best friend lost her mom a year and a half ago. She was a teacher, too. She fought a great fight against lung then brain cancer.

You both have moms with angel wings watching over you.

I sent you a little donation.

Tell your dad I said hello!

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2007

Thank you so much for your donation:) It means a lot!

5. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 24, 2007

I can't make a donation, but I wish I could. My son is a survivor of leukimia. He is half way to the time they say he is cured (10 years they say its cured).

I am sorry about your loss. Its always hard to loose loved ones, especially as a child.

6. mincc

mincc Companion

Aug 24, 2007

You are welcome...I wish I could give more.

ABall,

I will think positive thoughts for your son. :love:

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2007

I'm glad your son is doing well! I love hearing success stories about people being survivors:D

I think my mom's death has made me stronger in a lot of ways. And its given me a chance to really give back to the community who goes through the whole ordeal with cancer. But obviously, I'd give anything to have had her for the last 22 years :(

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 24, 2007

That beautiful picture and your heartfelt words made me cry. How beautiful, though sad. I lost my husband to cancer 6 years ago Tuesday.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 24, 2007

Leigh, I can see why that picture is your favorite. Anyone who sees that picture can tell your mom loved you very much.