Light bulb phase out

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Dec 15, 2013.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2013

After January 1, 'regular' light bulbs will no longer be imported into or manufactured in the US...WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS. I don't particularly live the energy saver 'new' bulbs I have in a few lights at my house...they take too long to get bright although I'm sure there will be improvements in all the allowed bulbs:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2428279,00.asp

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 15, 2013

I have the same problem with bulbs having to "warm up". I have a lot of chandelier bulbs and haven't seen any energy efficieny bulbs to replace them.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2013

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 15, 2013

Yeah, that's expensive. I have 3 chandeliers and 2 are on dimmers. Replacing the floodlights in the kitchen over the last few years has been ad enough, they are $18 each and we have 10 in the kitchen/breakfast area.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 15, 2013

That's a calm and reasonable article; thanks for posting it.

I stopped buying incandescent lights for any but highly specialized applications in the 1990s. CFLs - compact fluorescent lights - that fit in a standard light socket were large by today's standards, and the light was indeed rather blue, but one gets used to it, and the CFLs that are lighting my kitchen today - four 60-watt equivalent bulbs, drawing a total of 52 watts - are both smaller and noticeably warmer in color. The one downside to CFLs is that they are tricky to dispose of - but they last so much longer than incandescents do that that hasn't been much of an issue; the local Target and IKEA and hardware stores all accept the bulbs, and the trash company has regular disposal days.

There are several upsides to moving away from incandescents. First, one simply doesn't have to replace them as often. Second, one can obtain the same light level (measured in lumens) for less than a quarter of the wattage; that's a nice savings on the electricity bill. Third, the lower the wattage for the light level, the less waste heat one is putting into the air - and in summer, that makes a difference in cooling. (A CFL that's just given up the ghost is also much less hot and therefore easier to change fast.) Fourth, a light fixture rated for a maximum of 60 watts can safely be fitted with a CFL or LED that produces much more light without fear of exceeding the rated wattage. Fifth, using non-incandescent bulbs is an easy way to save energy and reduce the need either to build more power plants or to burn more fossil fuels in them.

I expect to start moving to LED bulbs as the price comes down and as the CFLs need replacement.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 15, 2013

IKEA and most hardware stores carry CFL and LED lights with both the standard table-lamp-type socket base and the smaller chandelier base. And the high price per unit? If I'm spending as much on a CFL as I do on four incandescents but the CFL lasts longer, I think I'm saving money.

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2013

I know that they CAN be disposed of properly at many places, but I worry that many people WON'T dispose of them properly...

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 15, 2013

I haven't checked IKEA, but I have tried Lowes and Home Depot for the chandeliers and haven't found them so far.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 15, 2013

Tasha, we've got 'em in California: you might need to lean on your local vendors a little.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 15, 2013

I've been buying regular lightbulbs a lot in the past few years. I've got quite the stash of them. I absolutely cannot do my cross-stitch without a regular light bulb, and 100 watt is best. When I first heard of the phase out, I started buying them whenever they went on sale.

I keep my house cool (62) in winter, and it takes forever for the fluorescent bulbs to get bright enough for me to see well with them.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2013

Thanks for the reminder--right after the break, we're examining the environmental impact of CFLs in Science.

13. physteach

physteach Companion

Dec 16, 2013

Doesn't bother me - I buy all CFL or LED anyway. I appreciate the effort being put forth to make a small step towards reigning in our energy consumption.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2013

I don't like the new ones...especially since I suffer from migranes...they are awful... we have some in the house & kept the old ones as well!!!
    How will an easy bake oven work now?????

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 16, 2013

My husband HATES the new bulbs.
    They don't bother me.

16. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Dec 16, 2013

Doesn't bother me at all. I'm happy to save energy.

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2013

But will the CFL and LED bulbs work in my lava lamp?

[​IMG]

18. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2013

I remember reading some reports on the color of light and what it does to people if I remember right, the new blueish ones were really bad.

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 18, 2013

It's the way they do color & make shadows!!! Like I said we have some in our house and it took a long time to get the ones that didn't bother me too much!!!