Lifting

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Teachermdssi, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Teachermdssi

Teachermdssi New Member

Apr 12, 2014

Hi everyone. Teacher of severe and profound here. We have been waiting a year for a mechanical lift. Been doing two person transfers but student is beyond that point. Anyone experienced this? Student is 110 lbs same as me plus I'm pregnant. Took myself out of lifting rotation but worried for others. We are using safe body mechanics but student has no ability to help and needs a lot of repositioning.

Any advice? Is this normal. Pt has stated it's too much weight before. They have promised a lift but nobody gives me a date. How far should I push this matter?

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2014

Who is Pt? Just curious. I would imagine that your aides job description and contract stipulate they have to be able to lift x amount of pounds. If you are all union, then you can call the union and find out how to get this taken care of quickly.

If I were in your shoes, I would push the matter until you get a lift. It's dangerous for the student if the student is too heavy to lift safely.

4. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 7, 2014

I'd push it far. I'd walk into HR with my tiny frame and hugely pregnant belly and tell them I refuse to lift the kid. Even FedEx and other packaging/shipping companies have a limit of 50 pounds. With two people lifting 110 pounds, that's 55 pounds each! Where did PT order the equipment from? What's the expected delivery date? What's the PO or requisition number? I'd ask to see some proof that it's on the way. I'd bother them everyday via phone and email about this. What does the principal say? Can he bother the right people to get the equipment? Are the parents aware of this? Can they complain on your behalf?

5. deefreddy

deefreddy Companion

May 7, 2014

Who is supposed to be supplying the lift? Is it a medicare expense or a school district expense? Maybe everyone is expecting the other party will take care of it. I have the same issue, and the PT is responsible for getting the equipment for this type of situation.

When I went to my higher ups, they told us to do a 3 person lift so each person lifted under 50 lbs. I made the PT come out to train us, and he (a strong 6 ftr) said it was impossible to do. LOL

I still haven't gotten the lift either.

6. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

May 9, 2014

THIS is the only reason I can't do severe and profound. I LOVE that population, but the lifting is something I just can't do anymore. I'm 32 and move like a 50 year old. (At least I think I do.) When I was pregnant, they gave me a man for a T.A. I had all females that were non-ambulatory. This meant that he couldn't help change diapers. That was a LOOOOOONG year.