Lifestyle education for students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by negar2000, Jul 20, 2018.

1. negar2000

negar2000 New Member

Jul 20, 2018

In my opinion, if a student takes on a lesson about social and lifestyle habits, the students will shine better in their social life, including topics such as how to treat parents, spouse, marital relationship, respect for the older, ... source:سالن عروسی

3. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 20, 2018

agree, 100%. I always wished that in schools we teach students more skills actually needed for everyday life. Yes, there is home economics and stuff, but that's not enough. Why, do they teach these kinds of topics in schools somewhere else?

What language is the source in, by the way?

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 20, 2018

Why aren't these things taught at home?

a2z likes this.
  5. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 20, 2018

not all children learn from their parent's teaching. You know how they say, parents usually make the worst teachers for their own children. I agree a lot depends on the child as well. My older son was always like that. We have good relationships with him, but as far as Lifestyle education, he almost never picks up anything at our house. Or at least, it doesn't look like it. :(

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2018

There is no one right way when it comes to those things.

There are also situations where if you act in what should be a more appropriate manner you will be taken advantage of and treated badly.

Should teachers and administrators model kindness, compassion, honesty, and empathy. Absolutely! But there is a line where schools have no place teaching social views. For example, in some areas people believe women should stay home and raise children when possible. It isn't about being less than a man, it is about being different. Some people believe this to be disrespectful to women.

7. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jul 20, 2018

Home economics is mostly an outdated term/class now, it is actually Family and Consumer Sciences. Instead of Home Ec teaching a little bit of everything, FCS breaks up Home Ec and has individual classes like Culinary, Fashion, Child development, Nutrition, Dollar and Sense, etc. :)
    Under the FCS umbrella is the class Interpersonal Relationships and I wish that all students had to take it. I think it would be a great class that all students could benefit from, unfortunately it's only an elective.

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2018

The most important skill that is not being taught in schools that should be taught is how to properly communicate with others. How many issues really are from poor communication skills rather that the actual issue at hand?

anna9868, bella84 and txbelle like this.
  9. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jul 20, 2018

I totally agree! Interpersonal relationships class covers this a lot. :D

a2z likes this.
  10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 20, 2018

This is kind of off topic, but we had a parent register her child for kindergarten back in May. She brought him in on one of of these. She said, "I have to walk him on a leash or he'll run away. Good luck to you guys in August."

Can't make this stuff up. We all just stood there with our mouths wide open.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  12. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2018

The truth is there are some parents terrified to pick that child up out of bed and drag them to school. They are afraid of being reported to CPS.

On a different site there were several teachers talking about how CPS should be called because a student was coming to school in the morning drinking a Pepsi. Yep. That was an interesting discussion. I think some parents are lazy, some are clueless, and some are afraid of what society will do if they force their child to do something.

13. RaiderFan87

RaiderFan87 Rookie

Jul 21, 2018

I have parents of first graders tell me that their child refuses to come to school and there’s nothing they can do about it. I think that’s a cop out.

14. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 21, 2018

I can't believe it!! 5 years old!!! must be her only child
    (I used it with my son until the age of 3 or so for that reason. it did feel weird though, even at that age )

15. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 21, 2018

that reminds me. One time I was subbing in High school and there was no teaching work, so for a couple of periods my job was to go through a HUGE number of late and absence notes that got accumulated over time in the Office.

Since I was bored doing it for that long I was looking at each note and kind of making mental notice why kids in school are late (for those notes that were actually written legibly ! )

One kiddo's late notices got my attention. I think it was a girl, and she had something like 20 late notes, all of them nearly identical: My child has Bipolar disorder so she refused to get out of bed. "How convenient", I thought, "have you (the parent) heard of such a thing as meds or psychotherapy?"

I wonder what kind of excuses this parent is going to be doing in college for her daughter is she does go to college. Some kind of special accomodations?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jul 21, 2018

It shows you just how much our progeny have fallen from previous generations...

17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jul 21, 2018

This.

I remember an incoming student entering the school where I work wailing and throwing a temper tantrum (I was disgusted) about having to go to school and the mother finally had enough and shouted for all to hear, “The world is indifferent to your problems. You are no better or more important than anyone else to receive extra considerations. Everyone gets tired. Everyone has to work. Everyone has to do things they don’t want to do. So. Get. Over. It. You spoiled brat! Now, get to class and make something of yourself!” In response, the mortified child immediately quieted and rushed through the entrance and never piped up again. It was music to my ears and I wish more (all, cough cough) parents were like this.

My favorite part was when the teachers, myself included, who just happened to be standing in the front office and watched the whole thing, just stopped what we were doing and gave the mother a standing ovation. She blushed, chuckled, and apologized for the disturbance, but I instead walked up to her, gave her my best smile, enthusiastically shook her hand, and said, “Don’t be. You should get a Mother-of-the-Year Award for that. Your daughter needed that and it was *long* overdue.”

More parents need to start disciplining their children and being consistent with their parenting, to stop making excuses for their child’s failings, stupidity, or inexcusable actions, and to force them to take initiate and responsibility. For instance, one of the parents at the school where I work won’t accept anything less than a flawless GPA (they have 11 children in total and four attend my school). This means if they have anything less than an A or don’t do their absolute best, then they are put on restrictions and lose all privileges until they have all A’s again. And this is for every occurrence. The mother went on to tell me how her children are highly successful doctors, lawyers, scientists, pilots, engineers, business owners, etc. I was mightily impressed and enjoyed speaking with her.

We need to raise standards for all children and hold them accountable to them.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  18. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 21, 2018

I think we need to have more Mindfulness instructions at elementary level schools. Definitely for kids. Parents would benefit as well

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2018

You clearly don’t understand bipolar disorder. It may or may not have been a true absentee note, but the idea that someone with mental illness simply needs to just get “meds or psychotherapy” is part of the stigma in this country. We do not treat mental illness well. Changing mindsets about this is a good first step in helping those afflicted.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2018

One of my students last year suffered from depression and an anxiety disorder. Her mother is a psychologist, specializing in teen mental health; she goes to counseling, is on meds, and has a tremendous support system both in and out of the school. That said, there were many days when she simply couldn't make it in the front door of the building. It broke my heart, knowing that she wanted to be in the classroom, but just couldn't get there. She didn't need me (or anyone else at the school) to be angry with her or expect her to just "suck it up". We will be putting an IEP into place for her next year when she's in Grade 8 so that accommodations can follow her to high school and post-secondary.

bella84, YoungTeacherGuy and czacza like this.
  21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2018

Perfect.

22. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 21, 2018

oh yes, what do I know about bipolar disorder! I only had it for 15 years, the harder type, Bipolar II.
    And I have no idea about stigma attached to it.

Read Checkov, Ward #6 to get an idea about mental illnesses in exSoviet Union.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  23. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jul 21, 2018

If the student has a diagnosed mental disorder, that’s different than a student with extreme entitlement issues who thinks they’re too “cool for school” or their problems are somehow more insurmountable than everyone else’s on planet Earth and this shouldn’t have to go to school.

24. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jul 21, 2018

I agree with you and support you! I hope you are able to cope with your condition. My sister and uncle both have bipolar disorder and somehow managed to get to class every day. Hm.

25. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 21, 2018

thanks.
    I also want to point out that in my example I only THOUGHT or WONDERED about those notes. Had a met a student or a parent, I would never say anything in their face or talk to them in a condescending way. So, it was just some...... philosophical thoughts on my part :)

26. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jul 21, 2018

Absolutely! The student from my initial post was so difficult to work with that it was wearing on my colleague’s and my last nerves. When the mother exploded at her because she was sick of her, too, it was like Christmas came early. She said what I have been wanting to say for months and months, but I was tight lipped because I had to be professional and courteous. We couldn’t help but cheer and thank the mother.

27. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 21, 2018

you know, I would've agreed with you..... 2 or 3 months ago.

but then, something very important happened. I ran a charitable (free) even at my house. It was Gametime for little kids (my way of advertising yoga classes that I teach) . And I had a mom with a child come in. It was one of those super hyperactive boys (4 y.o) who doesn't know what it means to sit still. Within 10 minutes he managed to get all the toys and games off the shelves in my living room where I was going to play with children.

Hey, I worked at Special Ed for ages, so I managed to calm him down enough to send him to the kitchen with my son (my helper). However, after that, hoping to do some 15 min of yoga presentation with kids, this kid messed it up completely again. ok, I wasn't surprised deep down. After all, Special Ed consists of like.... at least 1/3 of kids with ADD/AHDH problems, whether diagnosed or not.

Later on, I ran a free semi-private Yoga class for that mom and a child, hoping she'll see how doing yoga may have a soothing effect on him. You know what the mom told me after that class? Hey, we have too many birthday parties this summer, so I don't think we'll do yoga. Besides, I was hoping my son would be relaxed after your class, but he wasn't! he was still active after the yoga class.
    ==================================
    You know, I was dumbfounded by her words. Thanks to the wonderful Yoga teacher site I belong to. There, I was recommended to read this book :

The Deepest Well: Healing the Long-Term Effects of Childhood Adversity

This book changed my mind on the World of ADHD. In it, the author explains how there are basically 2 types of ADHD. One that the person is born with, you know, the neurological one. And another one, the "acquired type" based on the number of abuses the child goes through early in life. Emotional abuse, physical abuse, etc...... it's a well written, very deep book. I think ALL teachers who teach kids (especially, in special ed) should read it.

28. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jul 21, 2018

If a child has a diagnosed learning difference or a disability or has experienced physical and/or emotional trauma that affects their learning, then I’m all for providing accommodations for them and am very empathetic to them. Absent any of that, I expect them to behave and do as they are told. I will not tolerate a 14 nearly 15 year old crying about having to go to class because they don’t feel like it or are tired because they stayed up all night. Like the mother said, everyone gets tired. What makes them so special? Neither will I sit there and let them denigrate their peers or myself because they don’t want to be there and so they are going to make the day miserable for everyone. Not on my watch and I won’t stand for that. As youth approach adulthood they better start acting accordingly or they will face the consequences.

Linguist92021 likes this.
  29. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 21, 2018

oh yes, my post was not about not disciplining children if you have to or enforcing consequences. It was more for an empathy purpose. Believe me, diagnosing works for only a portion of kids. I never allowed my own children to get diagnosed, for example, because I don't believe in Special Education. And many people who came from Soviet Union have similar attitude towards Special education.

The book is amazing at simply understanding what a huge number of children are going through. A silent majority of children. The book was written this year, so god knows when or if it will ever be read by school personnel or even people like psychologists or guidance counselors

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2018

One would think your ‘philosophical thoughts’ would have been more empathetic given you have suffered with the same illness.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  31. That Business Guy

That Business Guy Rookie

Jul 22, 2018

I agree; however, these topics usually align with ethics and as humans, we all have different ethical beliefs. This means that a lesson on how to treat a spouse might be correct in your mind, but not in your students’ minds. What is considered respectful to one person might be viewed as disrespectful to another. HUGE EXAMPLE would be standing and facing the flag during the national anthem. Shouldn’t everyone stand and fave the flag? Is it disrespectful to sit during the anthem?

I do believe that these topics should be debated in class so students experience different viewpoints.

32. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 23, 2018

That's interesting! As a substitute who worked in many schools in multiple districts I have never seen anyone being against standing and facing a flag (other than kids being lazy). What is there to debate, I'm just curious?

33. That Business Guy

That Business Guy Rookie

Jul 23, 2018

I’ve had students against standing for the flag because they do not believe they should respect a flag that represents a country where racism and oppression still exist. Some students also did not stand to support Colin Kaepernick and his stance on police brutality.

anna9868 likes this.
  34. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 23, 2018

wow! you dealt with some serious and informed students!

35. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 23, 2018

I had third graders who did this last year. Our social studies curriculum involves studying relevant current events, so they were informed about why people were kneeling during the pledge. Some felt strongly and chose to do the same. Some of those who knelt didn't fully understand what they fighting for, but they knew that they were standing up for the rights of others.

36. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 27, 2018

I always remind my students that my aim is to teach them how to communicate well, so that they can advocate for themselves. so out there, in real life, when they have to handle some kind of business dispute (mistake on bill, etc), instead if just wanting to cuss out the other person, they can actually sound educated, straight forward, verbalize what happened and what they want. In my opinion, this is more important than reading Shakespeare.

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2018

Elementary kids are incredibly impressionable. They may have read an article or known about the NFL protests but their behaviors are more imitation than carefully thought out choices, IMO.

bella84 likes this.