Lifestyle Changes?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by pwhatley, Jun 27, 2010.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 27, 2010

What are you doing DIFFERENTLY this summer? I for one, have begun working out 3-4 days per week, because:
    a. I'm sick-n-tired of being sick-n-tired
    b. Those new 1st graders kick my behind!
    I go in, do my cardio (bike, treadmill), lift weights for a while (about 30-40 min), then attend an hour-long water aerobics class. I may not lose weight, but I am bound & determined to become healthier and to increase my stamina!

That said, what are you doing?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2010

Peter is determined to get his blood sugar under control.

Brian and I could stand to lose a few pounds as well.

But it's to be kind of understated. I want to stop buying soda. (Translation: get Peter to stop buying soda!) We're going to "run out" of junk food a whole lot more, though there will be lots of fresh fruit around.

I've got to kind of sneak the healthy in there; the kids will rebel if they see it as a lifestyle change.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2010

Alice, I think that is wise. And you don't want Brian to get a complex. My dad made a stupid comment to me when I was a thin middle school student and it stuck.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2010

I started doing the Insanity workout. 35 more days to go! I did it so I will feel healthy. I already look healthy, but I'd be huffing and puffing if I had to go up any stairs. I am also learning to eat better. I have cut out 85% of processed foods. That is a big change.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2010

I have a new stair stepper and I am working to lose some weight and get rid of my cankles!

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 27, 2010

I have (almost) stopped drinking (diet) sodas as well. I used to go through at least a six pack of diet cokes each day. I bet I haven't had a six pack in the last 3 weeks! Instead, I'm drinking water and iced tea (green & mint - yum!) that I make myself (sweetened just a tiny bit with stevia), saving tons of money! (oh, and its still calorie free!)

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 27, 2010

What is the insanity workout, Lynn?

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 27, 2010

I have almost entirely stopped drinking soda also. Even the diet ones. I try to drink ice water with lime and sugar free iced tea.

10. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Jun 27, 2010

This is part of my plan for the summer, too. I also need to figure out something to do in the fall when school resumes concering school meals. Breakfast is offered, whether I want it to be or not, and my son's packed lunches go uneaten.

I will probably be a little less subtle with my approach to my own health. I want to start the thirty day challenge on my Wii EA Sports. I need to lose weight, as well as gain stamina. I'm thinking about joining Weight Watchers on line.

11. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jun 27, 2010

All summer I have had a marathon in South Dakota that I've wanted to do but I have been slacking on my running. Finally, I realized that I did have time to run, but I was being lazy and making excuses. Now I'm trying to log as many hours in the week as I can before the race in August comes.

12. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 27, 2010

I am power walking every day! I almost took a day off but I trudged through. :p I go between 4 and 6 miles right now and hope to add on a few more miles by August. I've been trying to add yoga, medicine ball, and pilates workouts but haven't got my self onto a good schedule with them yet. I just love having the time to get out and do it! I'm hoping if I stay diligent now it will help me continue in the fall. It's so hard when school starts and we get so busy. :D

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 27, 2010

I have a couple of medical issues that prevent me from exercising in the heat/sun, and I don't have any indoor equipment at home. That being said, I know myself well enough that its better that I joined a "wellness center" (aka gym). First, the fact that I'm paying good money for it motivates me NOT to sit on my butt at home - I should at least get my money's worth, lol. Second, I have professional guidance, which, in my condition (old & broke) is invaluable. Third, it gives me a social support system that I don't have at home. Lastly, the fact that the classes are scheduled prevents me from "doing it later." Even if I stop going to water aerobics, I plan to pick up some form of organized class - pilates, yoga, whatever, to keep me on track. I do my personal workout around the class.

14. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 27, 2010

I cut out soda over a year ago, it sooo makes a difference. Every once in a while when we go out, but even then very rarely. Now I don't really want it. I love water and iced tea.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2010

I stopped drinking cokes in high school...not a sip since. I was all about some Sprite and Seven Up! I'm a big girl as is so I can't imagine if I threw that back in the mix.

In my dreams I drink coke and I panic thinking I've fallen off the wagon. :haha:

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 27, 2010

I'm trying to improve myself in the areas of health/fitness, livelihood/career, & recreation. :)

- I have more time to be serious about working out at the gym. I go 4-5 days/wk.

- I'm excited about getting the ball rolling w/ my work at home businesses.

- I'm looking forward to continuing to move forward toward my future career in speechlanguage pathology. I'm taking 2 online courses now.

- I'm in the process of planning my 2012 summer Olympics trip to London & Paris.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2010

I tend to drink diet decafinated soda, so it's not reallly about the calories or the caffeine.

But I bet I would drink more water if I gave up soda.

18. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2010

Do you like it? I've been considering buying it.

19. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2010

I used to go to the gym all the time, but stopped this year and gained a lot of weight. So I've been going to the gym Monday-Thursday. I'm already on base those days teaching, so I'm close to the gym. I've also been going on 4.5 mile walks with one of my coworkers 4-5 days a week.

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 27, 2010

I, too, drank exclusively diet soda (sometimes decaf), because I'm a (not very good) diabetic. However, have you looked at the ingredient labels? Between the chemicals in the soda and the expense OF the soda - its no wonder my body has been going to he**! LOL I'm not completely off of processed foods, but my grocery bill is much lower (about $20/week).

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 27, 2010

I'm staying strong with Crossfit-I fit into my size 2 skirt the other day!!! I started off at about a size 8/10 just three months ago. The energy it gives me is startling. I'm trying to wear workout clothes and running shoes when I work in the Sprout garage (huge workout in it's self) as sometimes I'll get bursts of energy to just go take a run around the block. If any of you are looking for a serious change in your workout schedule and don't have a lot of time, I highly suggest you look into Crossfit-just twice a week for an hour has made HUGE changes in my body-even my trainer is amazed. I never got this with classes or a personal trainer.

Not much else to change. I got started on that during the school year, so the goal is to keep it up, and hopefully add some of my own workouts in at home!

22. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jun 27, 2010

I completely cut out soda. I haven't had any for a month. I have only had ice water.

23. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2010

Insanity is an intense cardio workout program. It is a 60 day program. VERY intense. It is by the same company who does P90X. I'm half way through the program. I definitely notice a difference in how I look and feel. I was never fat or anything. However I am toned now! And I am more flexible. I had a child back in '03 and sort of stopped working out. I had been in college before that and was on the college bball team and have been athletic all my life.

I don't recommend it if you have any problems (knee, ankle, heart, etc.).

I caught myself watching the infomercial again last night. It inspires me! Lame, I know. But I had a great workout this morning! haha

24. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jun 27, 2010

I started off the summer doing the 30 Day Shred, but I've done that on and off for the past year or so (um...more off than on), and it's just gotten so BORING to me, so much so that I've pretty much quit doing it. I'm reading up on Insanity and thinking about getting it.

I used to work out with a trainer 5 days a week, so even though I've let myself get lazy lately, I'm familiar with getting my butt kicked.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2010

I was forced to cut out sodas completely 3 weeks ago because of bladder infections so that has helped me so much! I'm down to drinking just water and tea. I also work out between 4-5 days a week which has helped me tone up. Haven't really been overweight, but could stand to lose a few lbs. I'm down 5 and looking for about 5 more.

26. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jun 27, 2010

I've made an effort to go every other day to the local gym. Besides seeing my former students gawk at my inability to run on the tredmill without wheezing and looking like I'm about to collapse, I really like it. (But it's only been 1 week so who knows if I'll stick with it.)

I've also cut WAY back on my coffee intake. I now only get coffee in the morning and only 1 cup. I'm actually craving some right now even though it's about 85 degrees in my house and I'm sweating!

I'm also cutting out the junk food. I developed a very bad habit of eating chips at night on the couch (has anyone else had the Spicy Sweet Doritos? they're my favorite indulgence!)

27. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2010

What is the 30-day Shred? I am looking for something to do after I finish this Insanity. I plan on doing Insanity again... just not right away.

28. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jun 27, 2010

It's a DVD by Jillian Michaels that does strength (you need some hand weights), cardio, and abs in a 20 minute workout. It's a really good workout and pretty comparable to the stuff I was paying a trainer to teach me. There are 3 levels...when you feel like Level 1 isn't killing you anymore, you move up to Level 2, and so on.

The problem with it is that it's the same thing every day, unless you move up a level, and then it's the same until you go up to the next level. I've memorized every word she says and always know what's coming next.

I've recommended it to lots of my friends and they all agree that it's a really good workout. I think I've just been doing it too long and have gotten bored.

I just ordered Insanity. :eek:

29. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 27, 2010

For those of you (skinny) people who are toning up or getting back into your size 2s, congratulations. :) For those of us (fluffy people) who haven't exercised in (double digit) years and who are (finally) doing something, yeah for us! Personally, I think most of us could stand to get in better shape, regardless of weight. :hugs:

30. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jun 28, 2010

I agree pwhatley! This was going to be the summer I learn to run. Except I got pregnant and the doctor said "nope" (ahh..shucks!) and then I was told to lay off the rollerblading because I am really not that great and the risk of falling out weighs the potential benefit. I guess that means I am suppose to walk a lot and I am aloud to ride my bike. In addition, I am learning how to do not much. I am retraining the hubby. His schooling is ending and he will be back to just working not work and school so it's time for him to help out more (yay!!) plus I am exhausted!

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 28, 2010

I'm trying to cut down on iced tea because it irritates my bladder. The biggest change is that I've had to totally change my diabetes regimen. The good news is that my sugars are finally under control after a year of experimenting with various meds. The bad news is that I'm testing 3 times a day and injecting 4 times a day. It's very inconvenient....

32. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

dizzykates - have you thought about yoga? It's supposed to be great for pregnant women - and so is (are?) water aerobics.

Upsadaisy - have you asked your doctor about a pump? I have a friend with one, and it has TOTALLY simplified her life!

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2010

The exhaustion will end after a while.. that first trimester can be rough!!!

The good news is that you're normally allowed to do anything you would normally do un-pregnant. So, once your energy returns, you can go for several long walks a day, climb stairs, you name it. Moderation is the name of the game.

34. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 28, 2010

Uhhhhmm, dizzy, I'd say it is very wise not to rollerblade. In fact, you probably will have to give it up until your child is old enough to join you.

Pw, my doctor said they have had an almost impossible time getting insurance companies to pay for insulin pumps for those with type 2 diabetes, like I have. It sure would be easier if I had one.

35. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

I'm so sorry, upsadaisy! I'm also type 2, so I'm praying for you!

36. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 28, 2010

I think this is a great thread. When I finished my LTS assignment four years ago, I was 205 pounds. My class picture was all the inspiration I needed to join WeightWatchers. Since then I've lost about 50 pounds, and kept it off for about three years. I found the key to my success was exercise, and took up running and loved it. :) I'm excited for the mild temperatures to start up a running schedule again, I cancelled my gym membership when I moved.

Keep up the great work! It pays off!

37. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

I weigh WAY too much, and would like to be exercising more than the 2.5 - 3 hours/day, 3 days/week that I am right now (and there will be some weeks this summer when I can), but I have professional development classes to attend, lol! However, I did tell my dh that I wanted a year's worth of the "wellness center" for my bd present in August (which also happens to be when my summer membership ends!). So now I'm planning long-term, which is better than quick weight loss anyway!

38. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 28, 2010

Thanks, pwhatley. I found a good diabetes support group at
    http://www.dailystrength.org/groups/dealing-with-diabetes2/discussions . They have support groups for everything else under the sun there, too.

I've been swimming in the pool more often this summer than last year. It's so darn hot that I don't want to be outside if I'm not in the water.

39. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jun 28, 2010

I've started Crossfit and I'm having my second "elements" training session with my trainer tomorrow. I feel guilty about spending so much money on it...it's much more expensive than a regular gym, but the people I know who have embraced it swear by it.

I'm trying to add a Paleo diet to it. That means cutting out sugars, processed foods, grains and dairy. The dairy part is easy, but I do love my summertime ice cream....the grains are a bit more difficult and the sugars hardest of all! But, I did get through today without any sugar except a small handful of m&m's after dinner.