Lifeskills scope and sequence

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Luvmykiddos1, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Luvmykiddos1

Luvmykiddos1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014

Hi
    I am a new life skills teacher with lots of questions! My class is going to be grades 3-5. I've been reading through the IEPs of the kids that are registered so far. Several are non-verbal and at least one is medically fragile.
    This is my first time in public school, my second year teaching. Is there no standard curriculum for life skills? I was told to review the essence statements for the STAAR ALT test (we are in Texas) and create a scope and sequence from this.
    I am so lost. The essence statements are really general. I don't even know which grade 3-5 my kids are actually in. One student is noted to have the intellectual development of a 6 month old. So I understand I can work with his IEP goals but its on the IEP he should identify themes in fables and legends. ??How is this possible when the next goal is he turns his head when spoken to?

Please if you can tell me how to start writing lesson plans or scope and sequence. Is everything related to be being functional? Can you give me an example of what you would be doing in September in a class like this?

Thank you!!

3. Luvmykiddos1

Luvmykiddos1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014

When I was working in preschool we did it by themes. Would you just do a series of themes say related to the time of year-Sept back to school, October Halloween etc and then work in the essence goals?

Or when I did special ed for higher functional students we had to use the state goals for that grade and themes really got in the way.

Which is better for life skills?

4. elleveeaych

elleveeaych Rookie

Jul 16, 2014

Hi Luv,
    I taught life skills in NC for a few years and had no curriculum except the state standards (CC).
    I understand the frustration of having very little to go on, its tough. I tried themes and they worked my first year, but I had too big of a range the next year so I did away with them. Soft themes are good for sensory activities/buckets though.
    I also had students who had goals that didn't make sense to me. She was functioning on a 2 year old level and had goals appropriate for a 4th grader. When it came time for her annual review, I was honest with her parents that I felt the previous goals were inappropriate, I showed them the data to back up my reasoning and they were thrilled that I was teaching her at her level as opposed to making her "look better".

If your students are non-verbal, make sure you have tons of visuals and see if you can find out what their method of communication is. Do they use choice boards, aug com devices, sign language? Do they get related services? Once you understand how they actually function within the school, you'll have a better idea of the best way to work with them. I feel it's best to have plans for general routines/structure for the first few days until you work with the kids a few times. Try a few different teaching arrangements out and see what's going to work best for your team. Do you have assistants? They may be able to tell you a lot if they've worked with these students in the past.

Good luck, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

5. samsmom

samsmom Rookie

Jul 17, 2014

If you google: "PreK-12 Life Skills Curriculum
    Guide", a pdf should show from westbayregionaltransition.... It may give you some ideas as to where to begin; parts were relevant for me when I was working with a 6th grader who functioned at a 2nd grade level.