Lifeskills curriculm PK-12 explain?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by texashistory, Aug 6, 2014.

1. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 6, 2014

Lifeskills curriculum PK-12 explain?

Can someone explain to me what life skills roughly consists of throughout the years in school?

I know with high school it's mostly vocational preparation and functional skills for semi-independent living.

Middle I have no idea. In my mind at this point they can dress themselves and eat and what not so I have not idea what's a general life skills class 6-8 grade.

For elementary school what exactly is it? I've worked in ABA and life skills were the most difficult for me. I'm strong but almost every kid I've worked with has hated anything related to life skills. Bathroom - teeth brushing, potty training, being independent in the bathroom (parents usually have them initiate and help them so me prompting them to do it on their own usually = hell raising because despite parents training parents still do diapers and pullups through age 7), eating is just as bad.

I really dislike teaching math and I'm not excellent at it either but I'd rather apply for a Calculus position rather than basic life skills like that. I just know my limits and strengths. I'm great academically and vocationally. Self-help skills are frustrating all around and at the beginning almost broke me. I can assist the older ones if need be but from jumpstreet teaching them how to do it is something I just don't want to do.

Are all elementary life skills like this? They have OT and speech for fine motor and verbal assistance so IMO what I said above is PK-5 "lifeskills" or is it more small group social skills?

I'm thinking life skills on the elementary level = self help.
    Am I wrong?

3. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 8, 2014

Bueller?

If you teach it what does it consist of? I know it's different depending on the school and probably the district but a general rough idea would be helpful.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

5. Busy Bug

Busy Bug Rookie

Aug 25, 2014

Life skills 6-8

I have very low functioning CD kids. I will be teaching Manners, please and thanks you, personal space, table manners, cover mouth when coughing, financial skills like recognizing money, Time management telling time, hygiene, safety with signs like traffic signs, riding city bus to doctors dentists grocery stores ect... health and exercise, social skills by interacting with each other. That is some of what I teach for like skills class. I hope this helps.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2014

Our life skills classes are focused on very basic needs such as eating, dressing, and toileting. Most if not all of the students are non-verbal and have very severe needs so it's not a typical classroom setting where you would sit down and teach "regular lessons" at all. If you know you don't want this type of job, don't apply to one! It's okay to have preferences. I teach mild/mod. and my lessons are all regular academic lessons. My heart is in academic instruction so I would never apply for or take a severe needs position. I would also literally go live with mom and work at McDonald's before working in a severe emotional/behavior disturbance classroom. I think they should pay those teachers a million dollars a year!