Lies told by students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2010

Something else made me think... what are the most outrageous lies students have told?

I have 2:

1. I started teaching in 1980. One of my students that year was Mary. She had an easy A average, in spite of very frequent absences. Her friends frequently asked her why she was out so often. Her response was that she was the first ever survivor of Legionaire's Disease.

It was only at her funeral in 1983, just after graduation, that they learned that Mary had Cystic Fibrosis. The faculty knew, but all her classmates really believed her story. Hey, if you're 15 and you have a death sentence hanging over your head, you're allowed any story you want.

2. Several years ago, a number of our Seniors had a big party. Instead of 'fessing up, they told their parents they were all on retreat at school; they printed up permission slips and everything. The parents of the host, of course, were out of town for the night. I think an older sister was in charge.

They were caught when they arrived at school the next day, some still smelling of booze. Let's just say it wasn't pretty.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2010

A couple of years ago, one of our students was "busted" for posting some particularly nasty comments about some staff and students on Facebook or MySpace (don't remember which). Although he finally admitted to posting, he said that he wasn't able to delete the comments or remove the page because he was unable to remember the password. He also couldn't use the "Forgot My Password" button because not only couldn't he remember which email address he used when he registered, he couldn't remember the password to access that email either.

While his mother bought his excuses, his teachers didn't. The comments were removed, the page deleted and the student suspended.

4. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Sep 14, 2010

A few years ago a student was caught texting in class. In an attempt to keep her phone she started to cry and explained that her mother just texted her telling her that her grandfather had just died. Her story didn't stand for too long, but I was impressed with how quickly she was able to command tears (she should've been in drama)

5. hac711

hac711 Companion

Sep 14, 2010

I had a student tell me her grandfather died and that is why she didn't do her huge assignment, when I called her parents to give my condolences, it took a few minutes to figure out everything. I really wonder what she was thinking telling such a lie since I am the type of teacher to call home after 2 straight absences, excessive absences, poor behavior etc...Her parents were mortified and made her write an apology to me and her grandfather who was still alive!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2010

Oh, I thought of another:

A long time ago I had a Senior who wanted to leave class for a drink of water every day. (THe water fountain was right across the hall.) After a few days I let him know that he was going to need a doctor's note if it kept up.

He responded that he was being tested for diabetes. So of course I let him go, knowing that diabetics are frequently thirsty until they get their sugars under control.

A few weeks later I called Rob's mom to let her know that Rob wouldn't be graduating if he didn't pull his Precalculus grade up. While I had her on the phone, I asked if they had gotten back the results of Rob's testing.

"What testing?" she wanted to know.

"Umm, the testing to see whether or not he has to leave my class every day for a drink because he's diabetic???"

Turns out that his DAD was the one being tested; that's how Rob knew the symptoms.

The dean had a good chuckle before calling Rob in for a little chat.

7. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 14, 2010

This wasn't told to me but I asked another student what was wrong with "Jenny" in class.

She said Jenny's dad had just died in car accident over the weekend. And the car accident was caused by one of the dad's employees. Of course, I called Jenny's mom and asked if everything was ok. Well, it was fine. Jenny had made it up. She is one of those girls who likes the drama.

8. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Sep 14, 2010

My first grade student came into school with purple glasses that looked like "cat eye glasses". I had all I could do not to chuckle at what they looked like. She then handed me a note that said, "As you can see "Amanda" has glasses and yes they are real". The bottom of the note was signed, "Amanda's Dad". Well the print of the actually messaged looked like an adults but the "Amanda's Dad" part looked like it was written by a child. So I let her wear the glasses all day since I had a note that looked like an adult had written it. But boy did those glasses make my first grader look silly.

I called the mother that afternoon and she told me that "Amanda" went to the eye doctor and no she did not need glasses. Well I explained I had a note written by an adult and so she put her hand over the receiever and yelled to her husband who said yes he wrote the note. HOWEVER, he only was writing down the words so "Amanda" knew how to spell them herself so she could write a story. Anyways, "Amanda" never wrote a story but brought the note to school, signed it "Amanda's Dad" and wanted people to think she needed glasses. Pretty sneaky for a 6 year old.

Looking back, what parent would sign a letter....soandso's dad/mom. Oh well, her parents and I had a good laugh.

9. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 14, 2010

We had a new student in middle school last year that was struggling in several classes. She had gone to school in England for several years and also been tutored by her aunt in math.

One day, she came up to one of our teachers during break looking very depressed. She told the teacher she had just learned her best friend in England had been killed in a car wreck. She and her friend had been born on the same day in the same hospital and had been best friends since they were babies. She had been hoping to go visit her friend during the Fall Break at our school.

Turns out the whole story was a fairy tale, but at least she had a good imagination and (like many of the others mentioned) a definite flair for drama.

10. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2010

1. One student's backpack was wriggling....a lot....when asked what was inside her back pack, she said, "nothing" but then we notice a cat's paw poking out of the zippered opening. She acted surprised and said she didn't know the cat was in there!

2. Johnny came to me and told me that "Billy" was crawling under the stall while Jphnny was pooping....his words.....Billy said, "it was an accident!"

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 14, 2010

Yesterday one of my students left the classroom without permission. She managed to slip out in the middle of a busy art activity and was gone for 10 minutes or so. When she returned I asked her who had given her permission to leave the room. She responded, "Well you weren't around." Um... hello... I've been in the room the whole time.... I would know if I hadn't been!! I asked the question again, hoping to get a straight answer!

12. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 14, 2010

Some of my students believe they are entitled to an extended recess, so they make up every thing under the sun as to why they were late. I had a few students last year who threw rocks at the mailman during recess. They said it really was egg corns that fell from the tree and hit the man. I can't believe they actually thought I would buy that!

13. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2010

Last year, I had a student who lost her father. She was very upset, and getting some extra attention, which my little drama queen couldn't stand. So my drama queen comes up, crying, "my sister died this morning!" Oh boy, was I furious with that! She got a major the boy who cried wolf talk - how can I believe you when you're really hurting, if you make up stories now?

On a lighter note -
    My old glasses said "Be a glamor girl" on the side (how I didn't notice that before I bought them....). I had a student read my glasses, so proud of herself, and shout out "My dad's glasses say 'Be a glamor GUY' on them!" Oh, I sure hope not! ;)

14. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Sep 14, 2010

1: Student said that his parents had been killed and he lived with his grandparents. This lie was believed for a couple months, until his dad showed up at school to discuss the student's grades, very much alive.

2: Student was drawing on my desk. I saw him, he saw me see him, and quickly covered it up with a book. I said, "Do not draw on my desks." He said, "I didn't!" I moved the book. He said (with the same sharpie in his hand), "It wasn't me!"

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2010

Don't you just love it when they have the evidence in their hand and STILL deny it.

16. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Sep 14, 2010

This conversation goes on almost daily:
    kid:__________said a naughty word.
    Me:What did _________say?
    Kid: it was in Spanish.
    Me(they don't know I know those words): what was it?you can whisper it to me.
    kid: I forgot.

Me(to self) yeah right.
    Me To kid:you won't get in trouble for telling me. You can whisper it to me in my ear.
    And then one of the body part words I've heard a hundred times.

Until today, when the kid who swore said it in English to his "friend".

and the word choice was so accurate, I wanted to fall over laughing.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 14, 2010

Just today! A student told me she did not have her math done because she had to go to her brother's football game. I asked her what time it got over. She said 8:30-and it started at 4:00.

Um, I was at the game too. It started at 5:00, and was over by 6:00. Nice try.

She then told me that after the game she had to go deliver "something" to old people. Ahem.

THEN, not 20 minutes later, she starts telling me about the show she watched on TV last night...yeah, I saw that too, it was on from 7:00-9:00...wait, weren't you still at an 8:30 football game?

Can you just picture the hole getting deeper, and deeper, and deeper...

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 14, 2010

1. I had a student tell her classmates that her mother died and she was moving to Branson to live with her grandmother who was going to be a country western star. When I called mom she told me her little darling "never lies." I told her "well, then you sound great for a dead person!"

2. I had a student tell me a story about her mother getting a tiger because someone abused it. Turns out it was a tiger striped kitten that her mother brought home from an animal shelter.

3. I had a student tell me the reason she was late was because she was in a car wreck on the way to school. When I called mom, I found out she lied. About three weeks later she was late again. When I asked why, she said that the bus had a wreck on the way to school. I chewed her out for telling that lie again...come to find out, the bus did have a wreck on the way to school...uh, oh!

19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2010

Ok, this isn't exactly a lie but rather extreme honesty and transparency. The kid thought he was deceiving someone, just didn't know who.

Some first graders in my class had gotten in trouble on the playground and had been called down to the office. When they returned, one of them had a discipline referral that they had to take home and have signed. He and some other kids in his group were looking at it.

Then the boy comes up to me with the referral and asks me how you spell Lila. I asked him why. He said "I have to write my mom's name here and I don't know how to spell it." I said "No, your mom has to write her name there. In cursive. It's called a signature." He said "No, I don't want my mom to see this so I need to write her name there."

Needless to say, I made sure I saw his mom face to face after school. We both agreed that it took some real nerve to ask for the teacher's help forging his mom's signature.

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 15, 2010

There is a little boy at my school that loves to tell whoppers. Just today he told me about his 'twin' brother and sister (who were really his triplets, as he told the story, but he didn't know the words). It's why he needed a queen bed, so they could all sleep together.

He's an only child.

He also told me about his pet bunnies on a very long car ride to camp. I was really into it. Turns out he does not have any pet bunnies. So sad.

He's an amazing kid, just has a very active imagination so you can never tell what is the truth.

21. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 15, 2010

My favorite was when a student told me that they couldn't do their homework during the entire month or so of Hanukkah because they were a candidate for rabbinical school...

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2010

I had a grade 6 student a few years ago who just couldn't seem to tell the truth--but he could never keep straight what he had said and who he had said it to. I finally had enough one day and told him, that if he wasn't going to tell the truth, he needed to just pick one story and stick to it!

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 15, 2010

I've never actually caught any kids I've worked w/ in any (outrageous) lies, but I remember when I was a child myself in elem school, a classmate told me her dad got shot in the head, which I even reiterated to her & she confirmed it. When I brought it up again, she said it didn't happen & she must have been dreaming. :confused:

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2010

Hmmm..One of the benefits of being a 1st grade teacher is how honest the students tend to be...

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2010

Did they say 'egg corns'? That's hysterical.

26. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2010

I still remember being terrible angry at a classmate in 2nd grade:
    "What neighborhood do you live in?" I told her - "Oh, I'm moving there. What street?" I told her -"Oh, that's the street I'm moving onto. What house number is yours?" I told her - "Oh, that's the house I'm moving into. I guess you're moving and no one told you!"

I was so mad! I knew she was lying, but it infuriated me! (enough that I still remember her "story" all these years later)

27. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Sep 15, 2010

Uh, that his grandpa was eaten by a crocodile in the Nile River.

28. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2010

Many years ago, this lie was told to a 2nd grade teacher who is a very sweet southern Baptist older woman, since retired. I've never forgotten it because of....well, just listen.

The boy, who was an extremely odd kid, told her that he had to kneel and pray to his god several times a day during a particular month. So, being what she felt was a tolerant person, she let him go out in the hall and kneel and put his arms out on the floor in front of him. He would kneel there, prostrate, and mumble things. On his second trip out to the hall, she asked the teacher across the hall if she knew what the religion was that he was practicing....The teacher came out in the hall and was of course incredulous. They called the principal down, who put the matter straight and told him to get his little self up off the floor and get in the classroom and get to work. He had dealt with the kid the previous two years and knew what the 2nd grade teacher did not know. Of course it was just a big lie told to a gullible teacher so that he wouldn't have to work.

She really was a sweet teacher, but so very gullible.

When that kid made it to fourth grade, he used to wail and carry on out on the playground during recess because of how difficult the work was and how he couldn't possibly do it, etc. I mean truly wail and cry and fling himself about. I saw this happening one day and asked his teacher what was going on with him. She was trying to tell me about him and how odd he was, but she couldn't stop laughing. She finally called him over and told him to tell me his name. With a tear-stained woebegone expression, he said, "JC". I said, "Hmmm. JC. What does that stand for?" while his teacher (my friend) turned away shaking with laughter. The boy said in the most tragic voice ever, "Jesus Christ".

I have no idea what happened to this kid. He was really beyond odd. He was a very pale white kid with a blonde bowl cut, and wore his pants "old-man style" up very high on his waist.

29. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2010

I have similiar thing happen in my class last year. I had several girls get glasses at the beginning of the year and as I wear glasses I always made sure that the kids that had wore them. I made huge deals about the girls wearing glasses. Then one day one of my other girls comes in wearing glasses. She wore them for several days, but then started not wearing them. SO I started questioning her where her glasses where. This went on for several days also. Finally after about 3 or 4 days I get a call from Mom. She told me she didn't wear glasses, but had found her Mom's old ones and was wearing them. I laughed about it and went on, but promised her I would get "even" with her.

30. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2010

This is My Lie,as a 3rd grader
    My friend and I would walk to school. On the way was a Walnut grove
    and there were squirrels my friend would watch the "squirrel circus" running along the telephone lines and jumping from limb to limb and wire to limb etc. we would be sometimes 10 minutes late.
    When ask why I was late I would say "My alarm clock didn't go off"
    my friend who walked in with me would say he had to walk his little brother to his kindergarden class because he would try to run away (he didn't have a little brother). We never got "caught"........ at least we didn't know if we were caught.

31. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2010

I had a student last year tell me (about several obviously very blank pages in his handwriting book), "I did them, I don't know what happened. Someone must have erased them." After explaining that there were no eraser marks, he said the pencil must have disappeared. And he stuck to that story for quite a while...

32. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Sep 16, 2010

This didn't happen to me but it did happen to a friend of mine.

Two students stole permission slips and created a "debate team" weekend retreat. So the parents signed them and thought nothing of it. Turns out they went on some romantic getaway and when the girl turned up pregnant the parent went to school and asked how an over night trip was unsupervised. She threated to sue and everything until she found out it was all a lie.

33. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Sep 16, 2010

I had a kid who missed 4 or 5 days of school a week or so after Katrina. He came back and told everyone how him and his dad took their 18 wheeler down to New Orleans and busted through the HG barricades and rescued abour 400 people and brought them out of the city. BTW, we are about 1000 miles from New Orleans.