Lie or Proud About Your Age?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 13, 2011

So guys, are you the type who'll proudly tell someone your age if asked OR will you shave some yrs off (if you're 40+ for example)...OR is it not anyone's business & if so, how do you gracefully avoid the question?

I know age is nothing but a # & all that, but that doesn't necessarily mean I want to tell everyone my age either. I'm still fairly young now & may tell certain people, but when I hit 40+, I'm not so sure. My mom tries to avoid the question if asked. I think she just pretends she didn't hear the question & starts talking about something else.

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 13, 2011

I love telling people my age because they always tell me I'm lying. I look about 10 yrs younger than what I am. LOVE IT!

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 13, 2011

I can't imagine ever being worried about telling someone my age.

I'm 36 now, and better than I was at 26 ... I can't wait to know myself at 46, 56, 66, 76!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 13, 2011

I don't have an issue telling my age. I do wish I were a bit older, though. I'm looking to have a bit more life under my belt, working to be more graceful in character and learning from past experiences. I think I'm really going to love my 30's and up!

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 13, 2011

ku-we wrote that at the same time! Ha!

7. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 13, 2011

That's a really cool perspective jem and ku_alum - I really appreciated that.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 13, 2011

I will be forty in one month and three days. I can't wait!

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2011

I don't usually share my age with students just because I don't think they need to know it to be successful in my class. In real life, though, I don't have any problem whatsoever sharing my age and can't imagine that I ever would.

10. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Apr 13, 2011

It never bothers me to tell my age. I am younger than almost every single friend I have, and I am the youngest in my family. My sister is only two years older than me, but she doesn't like answering the question and has been that way for years. :dunno:

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2011

I am 28 right now and will forever stay 28. No ifs, ands, or buts. This is not up for discussion.

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2011

If anything I want to tell people I'm older, haha. I haven't actually done that though. I feel like it's hard to be considered a professional at 22. People just automatically assume you don't know anything based on your age. I also look really young. I won't tell my students my age if they ask because I'm afraid they won't take me seriously! All but one of the teachers in my building are 32 or younger, so we have a really young staff. I still feel like the "baby" of the group though- the youngest besides me just turned 26.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 13, 2011

I feel that age is a generally irrelevant topic for professional and casual discussion. In a professional setting, why does my age matter? The only thing that matters is whether or not I can do my job. In a casual situation, it seems a little creepy for somebody to be asking me that if said person doesn't know me. If you're my friend, then you already know the answer.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

It depends on who is asking.

My own children know my age, as do my friends.

But while I occasionally allude to growing up with Pythagoras (and I went to school with the parents of some of my kids) I've never seen a reason to bring it up in class.

I'm 52. And I see nothing about that to be ashamed of.

The alternative is not making it to 52. No thanks.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

I don't advertise my age, but I don't hide it either. Most people are surprised when they find out my age because, thanks to my mom, I don't look it (50). I tell my students that I grew up in the time of the dinosaurs; they laugh, but I think they would be surprised to find out that I am much older than most of their parents. Age is something we can't control; I see no sense in being ashamed of it.

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 14, 2011

Thanks, EdEd!

17. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 14, 2011

:)

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 14, 2011

I told a little girl yesterday I was 21+...she looked at me and said "wow, my mom is older. She is 35." I then tried to explain to her I was kidding and she said, "So are you real old like my dad...he is 40!" Actually, I must be super old, I am 42!

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

I'll be 30 next month and I'm really looking forward to it!!

20. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2011

Not ashamed and not proud. It is what it is. I am sure I look my age, gray air and all which I can't seem to want to get rid of - I earned every one - lol! No really, I am afraid I wouldn't keep up with it and then it would look bad and it reminds me of my mom and grandmother, as does my wavy hair. My hairdresser used to nag me but now she says she likes it and I should keep it. Wish I didn't have the saggy eyes but I inherited those, as well. Still young at heart, I think...at least, most days.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 14, 2011

That's great that many of you don't mind your age. After all, if we keep on living, we're ALL getting older.

My mom doesn't look her age at all. The times she has to tell people or show her license, people take triple looks & can't believe it. I hope I look as good as she does when I'm that age! We can thank not being out in the sun, not smoking/drinking, etc.

My thoughts exactly.

22. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 14, 2011

Have never minded telling how old I am-I think I look pretty good for my age (58). It is all relative. The only thing I don't like about getting older is facing some health issues-plus JOWLS! Other than that, I am super and happier than I ever was in my younger years.

23. nitsirk

nitsirk New Member

Apr 14, 2011

I must say it's inspiring hearing from the 40+ crowd about being positive and self-affirming regarding the so-called "age issue." thanks for being good role models, kindergarten31, AliceACC, MrsC (and any others i might have missed....)

But, oh! The dreaded jowls!!! Face yoga, anyone? I do it religiously! BTW, I'm 38. Frequently get told I look younger, but live in a region that's particularly obsessed with youth/age. people, including my students, can be quite obnoxious about it at times, and I'd like to say it doesn't upset me, but it does. Like all prejudices/biases, age discrimination has no logical basis when its thought system is examined. So I try to challenge (gently) these beliefs but at the end of the day, some people basically seem to cherish having someone/some group to look down on....

24. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2011

My age does not bother me at all but my mother hates when I tell people my age because then they can figure out her age. I have a 23 year old daughter and I was always the youngest parent in her class because I was young when I had her. People usually guess that I am younger than I am.

My grandmother was the best with age. It was in her will that we could not put her birth date on her tombstone. We have an idea of how old she was when she died but we are not sure. She lied on her drivers licence and although my dad is 3 years older than his brother, she was 4 years younger on my uncle's birth certificate than my dad's. My mom's job when my grandmother died was to make sure that she did not have grey roots because she did not want to be grey for eternity!

25. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2011

I am 30, and I don't really love telling my age, but I don't lie about it, and I am feeling better about it. I guess it was hard turning 30 for me... Oh well, as my father used to say, aging is better than the alternative...

26. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2011

Up until my birthday, I told people I would be "29 and holding." 30 was hard... but everyone says it gets easier :) Plus, Alice is right - the alternative is not an option.

27. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 14, 2011

I am 32 an proud to be in my thirties. I still feel like I'm 25 most days. The only time I don't like to tell my age is in the work setting, and not being too old, but being too young. I work mainly with Principals and district administrators who are wonderful, but I frequently feel like I'm being "questioned" about my job and what I've done.

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2011

I agree with another member—not proud, not embarrassed...it is what it is.

There are random circumstances in which someone might as your age or graduation year or something along those lines and I don't at all find that creepy. When it's happened it's just been part of the conversation and never seemed "off".

29. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2011

I don't care who knows my age. I think I look pretty good for 40 . . . but if I lied and told people I was 29, they'd think I looked pretty rough for that age!

My mom doesn't lie about her age, but I heard her lie about her boyfriend's age the other day! She told someone that he was 62 . . . and he's 58. (She's 64.) :lol: My dad was 9 years older than Mom, so this "younger man" thing bothers her a bit.

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 14, 2011

I'm 35 and apparently I look young. (I agree I look younger than others my age but some people are just ridiculous in their assumptions). I'm still waiting for the day when people realize that I am an adult. Strangers still think I'm a kid. It's pretty annoying. I don't mind telling people how old I am but sometimes they just don't believe me. Tonight I was leaving my part time job and this woman asked me, "are you getting a ride home honey"? I wanted to say to her, "no lady. My mom isn't picking me up. I've had my driver's license for almost 20 years. thanks for your concern".

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 15, 2011

On Thursdays, I work at a middle school & I was walking to the office. The proctor who checks to mk sure all the students are going to their classes was behind me & calling out, "Are you going to class?" When I turned & she saw that it was me, I can tell she was embarrassed. That's kinda nice to know I can blend in w/ middle schoolers...well, from behind anyway! ;)

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 15, 2011

One time I was subbing in a high school and this hall monitor asked me if I had a pass. I said, "this is my pass" and showed her my sub folder". She turned redder than the folder I was carrying LOL

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2011

What people are asking for your age? It seems rude for those who just meet you to ask...:2cents:
    My friends know my age. My colleagues probably surmise an age range based on hearing me talk about my kids...no one can believe I have kids the ages they are and I could pass for a lot younger, but I don't lie....about anything.

34. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2011

TeacherNY~I get that too! I was working in the middle school and went through the lunch line. The woman tried to get me to put in my number. When I told her I didn't have one, she looked up at me and was embarrassed that I was actually an adult.

I'm almost 30!

35. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 15, 2011

:lol:

36. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2011

Well, I will be 60 the end of Oct and I have "silver" hair (and I earned every single one)
    60 is hitting me hard
    I guess I have always thought that 60 was the age at which we started to be "OLD"
    My Dad retired at 62
    My grandmother retired at 62
    My mom retired at 57.

37. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 16, 2011

The only people who ask about my age are my fourth grade students. Every year I make them wait until my birthday in March when I give them a Problem of the Day that leads them into figuring out what year I was born, and how old I am. They love it!