Licensing question - Expired NYS license

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BioAngel, Jun 1, 2019.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 1, 2019

I think it is time to shake things up and my husband and I are making plans for NEXT summer (not this summer). I'm still planning on staying at my current school for one more year.

I have an expired NY teaching certificate (and a 4-year BS science education degree in Biology 7-12). We are thinking about moving to Indiana and I think I'd like to continue teaching. I'm trying to figure out their licensing process but it doesn't make much sense to me.

What I was thinking of doing it getting my NJ state (where I live) license for elementary teaching and/or middle school science, but I wanted to check with someone about what type of license I should get.

Are there any NJ teachers I could chat with? Or Indiana teachers? I wish the states would offer a mentor to help with licensing ~ I'd totally pay someone :confused:

3. BioAngel

Jun 1, 2019

Btw, I have checked out the process for both states - so I don't need links per say. I just need someone to clarify based on my situation what is the correct route to take (paper work, testing, etc).

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 1, 2019

I'm from NJ. If you are talking about essentially taking the expired license out of consideration, and just considering your transcript, I might to able to help. However, I am pretty sure that you will need to consider that NY license if you are trying to get a standard NJ certificate, as opposed to a provisional one.

BioAngel likes this.
  5. BioAngel

Jun 1, 2019

What would be easier do you think? I was considering just forgetting about the expired one and get a NJ one.

I was thinking of getting a CEAS license:
    • CEAS -The Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS) is a credential issued to an individual who HAS completed a teacher preparation program (done) and has met the basic requirements for certification including academic study (done.. I think) and applicable test requirements (I need to take Praxis tests - would need to figure out which ones though). The CEAS authorizes an individual to seek and accept employment in NJ public schools requiring certification. The CEAS is issued to an individual who does NOT hold a NJ Standard certificate (I don't) or has NOT completed two years of full-time teaching under a valid out-of-state instructional certificate (I have done this though).

My NYS license expired in 2013 - my private school never required me to keep it up-to-date. Since it's been 6 years, I think I would have a harder time getting that to be valid again than going the NJ state route.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 1, 2019

Before I started taking the necessary Praxis Exams, I would contact NY and find out what would be necessary to reinstate that certificate. It might not be as bad as you think? If you would need to retake standardized tests, then maybe going the NJ route is better. However, if taking their exams will get you a full fledged certificate, that is definitely going to be better, IMHO, because your years of experience are from NY.

That said, to go the CEAS NJ route is going to need the following: your transcript will need to be evaluated by the NJ DOE, which comes with a fee and a valid copy of your transcripts directly from the university you acquired credits from; you will need to take the Praxis 5001 series of exams to meet the K-6 certificate, and then you also need to take the 5440 for the MS Grades 5-8 Science certificate. Since your degree was Biology 7-12, you may want to consider the K-12 certificate for biology, however, since it gives you a greater range, should jobs be tight in IN. That would be
    Biology: Content Knowledge 5235 and General Science: Content Knowledge 5435. I say this because these tests are a little harder, but the material covered actually is worth knowing if you teach grades 7--8. If you go that route, you can scratch the 5440, sine the K-12 certificate automatically covers you to teach MS.

What I don't know is whether or not NJ would look at your expired NY certificate and consider any testing you have already done to replace the Praxis testing. Obviously, if they did, and you acquired your NJ certificate through reciprocity, that would be better, since I would think there is a decent chance that it would be a standard certificate, which trumps a CEAS - no provisional teaching needed.

Hope this helps. Personally, I would seriously consider anything that left you with a valid standard certificate in hand versus a provisional certificate that might affect how you are licensed in IN. So my first two choices would be reciprocity in NJ, and finding out how to reinstate the NY license to bring it current. Otherwise, the series of Praxis exams and what the state will require here in NJ is current and valid for acquiring the CEAS.

Best of luck.

BioAngel likes this.
  7. BioAngel

Jun 3, 2019

Before I started taking the necessary Praxis Exams, I would contact NY and find out what would be necessary to reinstate that certificate.

I just emailed me them this afternoon and will see what they say. I've honestly been dreading asking them, but it's time to figure this out. I'm hoping it will be an easy process - I can't imagine that I would have zero chance of getting a license back after getting a degree and teaching for 11 years. I will say that those 11 years have been in New Jersey - in accredited private school (Middle States accredited).

TBH I still plan on wanting to stick to private schools, but there are many in Indiana that are religious and require a teaching license, so that's why I'm going through this route (besides being the right thing to do as a professional).

If NY falls through, I'll start tackling NJ.

Thank you so much for the guidance, vickilyn! I'll let you know how it goes.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 3, 2019

Quick question - what would have been required to keep/renew the license in 2013? Was the renewal, or lack thereof, your responsibility, or somewhat dependent on your employer? Honestly, I can't believe it can be harder to reinstate than to go the full route in NJ. That said, if I were you, I would see if reciprocity might work for you, with minimal effort. That could be a good plan. Best of luck - thanks for letting me know when you get some answers.

9. BioAngel

Jun 4, 2019

I had just been laid off from my first job and I had to get my masters before 2013. Just didn't feel financially stable enough to go back to college - although it is still my desire to do so. My employer didn't offer any benefits to pay for it and my sister was living with me (who was not financially stable either - worse off than me).

Could I have struggled/taken out more loans/not paid bills on time? Sure... but that wouldn't have been the mentally/emotionally/physical safe decision for myself. My school never required me to get a masters or keep my license from expiring so less incentive to do so.

Hubby and I have made the decision to move out of state now - 600 miles away - and I'm trying to figure out my options. I'd love to teach in a Catholic school, but most of them require a teaching license.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 4, 2019

Is having a Master's required by NY to renew or validate your license after a certain amount of time? I am so not judging, but very curious. I've lived as a neighbor to NY for three decades, but know nothing about how you get a license or keep one in that state. Understand that I am not judging, only trying to learn more for my own edification. I still think that reciprocity with NJ may be worth looking into, but if you can reinstate your NY license without tons of hoops or stress, I would still be inclined to think that way first. You would think that some NY teachers would chime in on the subject, to help both of us understand more. Maybe someone will still come out of the woodwork with more information. Until then, contact NY DOE and assume that everything can be fixed until you have proof otherwise. Going deeply into debt for a MEd. isn't always feasible, so I'm thinking there has to be a plan X, Y, or Z that we don't know about yet.

Wishing you the best in this journey.

From another thread: does this help? http://eservices.nysed.gov/teach/certhelp/CertRequirementHelp.do

11. BioAngel

Jun 7, 2019

Got my answer today: "To receive the professional certificate in New York State you must complete the masters degree and apply for the professional certificate."

Yes - you get your initial license and have 5 years to get a Masters degree to get the professional certificate. To get an initial one, you need to a Bachelor's degree and have gone through a teaching program, taken a few tests, etc.

We are probably moving in a year and my current school is not stable enough for me to throw a ton of money at getting a Masters degree. Poor planning on my part - I can own that, but as much as I would like to get my Masters idk if that's an option for us right now with moving and possible job insecurity (I do have a job for at least next school year at least).

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 8, 2019

Have you checked about reciprocity with NJ or IN? I would do that, while considering what it means to have the certificate of advanced standing. That may or may not be helpful, depending on reciprocity.

13. BioAngel

Jun 8, 2019

Does it matter that my NY license is expired?

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 8, 2019

I don't know, but I would sure think it would be worth looking into. Actually, if you didn't have a certificate, but you still had your education, how would IN handle that? If the answer is to make you take their teacher's exams, examine your transcripts, etc., how could that be harder than getting the CEAS in NJ, which isn't a standard certificate, but, rather, the statement that you are eligible to be hired into a provisional teaching position in NJ, and all that means.

http://ecs.force.com/mbdata/MBProfAllRTANW?Rep=TCL17STA

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  15. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Jun 9, 2019

I started teaching in NY. Regardless of where you're moving too, you will need to take that state's test, which in most cases is the Praxis. NY has different tests, and while they may grant you a provisional certificate in another state based on your NY license, you will have to take whatever exams are required for your state. I had a Masters and my professional license, and i still had to take all the Praxis tests when I looked to get out of state.

Now, things might have changed, this was a number of years ago, but I know NY does everything a little different than everybody else, so probably not. Your best bet is to take all the Praxis exams you think you're going to need - check out what Indiana wants, and then sometime well before you really start to look for work, apply for that Indiana license. If you have it in hand, it will make you more marketable if you are applying from out of state.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 9, 2019

I agree that every state does their own thing. Indiana doesn't use the Praxis Exams, but instead requires the Indiana Core Assessments, a Pearson product. With that in mind, spending money and time to take the Praxis Exams seems far less important, and the testing that would be required for the CEAS for NJ, all Praxis Exams, would be a waste of money, UNLESS Indiana specifically states somewhere that the CEAS, which is a certificate of advanced standing that means you can be hired in NJ because you passed the exams and have the right GPA and transcript. However, it isn't a true teaching certificate, but can lead to a provisional certificate if hired.

Don't get me wrong - I actually like taking tests, but I don't like paying to take tests that will essentially have to be repeated in a different format in Indiana. My recommendation has been to find out precisely what Indiana will need, specifically whether or not having a CEAS will make any difference at all, since it isn't actually a teaching certificate.

The link I have based both my advice and questions on is as follows:
    http://www.in.nesinc.com/PageView.aspx?f=GEN_WhatTestsDoINeedToTake.html

I'm kind of a "go to the source for the right answers" kind of person. Since it is obviously not going to mean acquisition of a master's degree to meet NY's requirements for a permanent certificate, then I would truly want to know that the NJ CEAS has benefit, since the two states require different teacher assessment exams. Hope that explains my train of thought and the questions I have asked.