License to Have Children

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2005

I think people should have to get a license before having children.

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2005

And get a instruction manual to go along with them!

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2005

Grammy, last time I interjected my thoughts on deplorable parenting skills, I got accused of being judgemental! But, I think you know how I feel! ;)

5. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Sep 17, 2005

I completley agre.. I think there should be a long and involved parenting test just like the teacher test.. Weed out the potentially bad parents!!

6. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2005

I think people should have a license to drive. Unfortunately, in many parts of California, a large percentage of people drive without one. I don't think requiring a license to have kids would be any more successful.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 17, 2005

Grammy can I sign up for a license to have children in about four to five years?

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2005

I think that would be fine JamieMarie! The whole problem with the idea is, who would be in charge of issuing the license? How could we be sure it would be run fairly?

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 17, 2005

Get those Supernannies and Nanny 911 gals to do the screening... lol.

10. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2005

Just get a group of teachers who want a side job. They would be the best people to offer licenses.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 17, 2005

I just said last night after watching Super Nanny that I wanted to book her now to come in and help me with my children in four or five yrs. Of course I'm crazy and want triplets. Paula (bf's mom) keeps telling me to be careful what I wish for. My mom thinks I am just plain crazy. I figure way not get it all over with at once. So the joke is I am putting my order in for two girls and a boy.
    Even have the names of the girls picked out Rachel Elizabeth and Paige something (might change my mind on Paige seems to be getting to popular again).

12. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 17, 2005

I think some people should have mandatory sterilization when they have already proven they are crappy parents. Now, I don't mean crappy in the sense that my parents were crappy. I mean down right unfit!

13. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 17, 2005

I also want to add that I am not a know-it all, nor do I have all the answers to life's problems. I am merely stating my own opinion.

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2005

katerina,
    Touche' :D

15. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 17, 2005

My sister's name is Rachel. I love that name too JaimeMarie.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 17, 2005

Rachel Elizabeth was the name of my friend that died of meningitis when I was four years old. I have always wanted to name my daughter that. I am glad it's not a common name.

17. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 17, 2005

Both Rachel and Elizabeth are names passed down in my family.

18. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2005

I have a neice named Rachel. She is the one who had leukemia at age 3. She is a fighter, so when I hear that name, I am reminded of my little "fighter' neice. It is special to me.

19. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 17, 2005

My niece is Rachael Elizabeth and she is a very special young lady. Usually the first girl in every family has the middle name Elizabeth on my husband's side of the family.

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2005

I like the name Mary Elizabeth.

As for deciding who could and could not have children, I think one of the obvious reasons to NOT allow someone to have children is cleanliness in general. I think one of the requirements would be to have their homes inspected...not the white glove test, just 'CLEAN' in general...and whether the person is clean(hair and fingernails)...are their clothes clean? Can they 'TALK'...ya know what I mean, right? I am appalled at some of the people I see out in public...dirty, foul language, what is wrong with them? Then they will have a pile of kids with them who look just as bad and they are usually swearing at them or hollering...they should not have kids!

21. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2005

You guys made me think of a parent I talked to the other afternoon. I was working the security desk during the afterschool program on Monday. Parents were asking me when Back to School Night was (it was Thursday). One mother exclaimed, "Oh no! not on my bingo night Why's it have to be on a THURSDAY??!" I think she needs a license...lol.

22. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 17, 2005

I'm all for regulating who can reproduce. I mean, they don't have to be perfect. Because America is all about freedom (and that's a good thing to an extent) we will never have such regulations. There will always be too many idiots with too little money and too little brains having kids and a social worker with too many cases will allow these kids to fall between the cracks. As a teacher I swear to do right by these kids the best I can.

23. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 17, 2005

My mom, who also teaches preschool special ed, made this comment after curriculum night...

It's because they don't use chastity belts any more that we all have job security.

Sad, but true.

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 18, 2005

The little boy down the street will be seven years old in December. He has tourettes and ADHD. Which basically means no impluse control at all. His father is never home, and his mother is a drunk. This little boy has been riding his bike up and down the busy streets since he was FIVE! He used to play chicken with SUVs, cars you name it. One day I was so pissed off because he did it to my bf. I hoped in the explorer drove the street found him, told him it was not ok to be in the road when a car is coming and to get on the side of the road the minute he sees a car coming, Then went and talked to his mom. She told him he lost his bike for the night. Not that he had to stay inside or anything just he lost his bike. I don't think he is ever really in the street any more. But still he was five years old!
    I want to adopt him so badly. He is a sweet kid, a little naughty but with the right support I think he could make it really far in life.
    As it is now he is raising himself.

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 18, 2005

To me it seems that the people who shouldn't be parents seem to have children all the time and yet others who would be wonderful parent never have children (medical reasons, etc). There was a boy that I taught 2 years ago who I knew had a horrible home life. Three or four families lived in their house, parent drank, he was neglected, filthy, bad teeth, no support for school...etc. He has a brother in 4th this year, one in 2nd, 1 in first, and mom just had another baby. That's what gets to me, these parents who don't care about their kids having more kids. :(

26. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 18, 2005

I forgot to add another example. Several years ago I taught a child named "Johnny" . He was a precious child. He wanted to learn and do well, but never could do homework because he had to take care of his family when he got home. His mother got out of jail while he was in my room (drugs again). He had a 9 month old sister that he was raising. His mother's boyfriend had to get up at 4 am to go to work and Johnny was expected to get up and cook breakfast for him. His sister slept with him because he had to get up with her. He was always late coming to school because he had to walk (he had to feed his sister so he missed the bus most days). He always had baby food on his clothes, spit up, etc. According to those that have lived here all along his grandfather was arrested for molesting his mother...about 9 months before Johnny was born. It was a horrible horrible situation. I wanted to bring him home with me.

27. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2005

I wish there was a way to stop the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. Isn't it in China that they are only allowed one child per couple?

28. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 18, 2005

I agree some families I am amazed they let them take the baby out of the hospital! I can't believe the home life of some of my students and it breaks my heart!

29. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2005

But doesnt anyone have any suggestions how we can make it better?

30. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 18, 2005

Christy what grade do you teach?

31. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 18, 2005

I agree, there are soooo many parent out there having kid after kid, and they don't take care of any of them, then there is my best friend, who is also a teacher, who would make an excellent mother, but has tried and tried and STILL hasn't been able to have any children.

32. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2005

Grammy,
    If I knew how to make it better, I'd run for president. I have some ideas, but don't want to start a controversy.

33. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Sep 18, 2005

I'm not sure about the license, but I do believe that ALL parents should be required to be a substitute teacher for a week (although not unsupervised! :) ) That might be scary, but open their eyes a bit? Just a thought! :eek:

34. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 18, 2005

I don't know if there is anything a teacher can do about the chaos at home. Maybe the only thing is to make sure that school is a safe, secure, loving, sane place to be.

35. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 18, 2005

yes, it is in China. But their government can regulate birth because they are Communist, not free like us. I hate to rely on our government to solve societies problems because it never will. But what can we do? I do make it a priority to get to know kids and find out about their lives even as a sub and I have gone out of my way to help kids. I was a child pych major but switched to teaching because I felt teachers are the greatest influence and are can be saviors. People are always saying, "You can't save the world". But it seems there are so many of us who want to save the world and if each of us tries like heck, I bet we save more than anyone ever thought we could.

36. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 18, 2005

Kinderkids, don't worry about the controversy thing. We can't let a few people stop us from sharing our ideas. Please don't stifle yourself. This thread was started to get us discussing. The thread topic is controversial in itself. Don't worry, be yourself.

37. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2005

Alright, Kat, here goes.........now, no one get on me for this, cause I know many won't agree, but for starters, I'd put prayer back in schools as well as the ten commandments. Oh, would the ACLU have a field day with me!

38. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Sep 18, 2005

Amen Sister!

39. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 18, 2005

That would be a tough one because who's prayers would you use?

40. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Sep 18, 2005

awwwww....I love the sonogram. I look at mine from 10 and 15 years ago sometimes. March will be here before you know it.

41. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Sep 18, 2005

Grammy...what a great thread. Let's see how long it takes someone to take your post out of context. Are you referring to the whole permissive parent ideology?