Lice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ll1301, Jan 23, 2013.

1. ll1301

ll1301 Rookie

Jan 23, 2013

Ok teachers...I am in my second week of student
    Teaching and ALREADY there was a note sent
    Home about lice being passed out through school. Have you ever gotten it? I never did growing up, and I'm terrified and beyond grossed out at the thought of getting in now. Any preventions/cautions I could take? Thanks!!

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 23, 2013

I never have caught it as a teacher. Our school nurse says lice are attracted to clean hair, be sure to use hair product every day and put your hair up if it is long. She also reccomends a vinegar rinse - a tablespoon in a cup of water, but I haven't tried it. I've never had a major outbreak in my class, just one student here and there.

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jan 23, 2013

Never got it, but back when I worked for Head Start, it was part of my job to do head checks. Needless to say, I am very good at finding nits. I would echo the advice to keep your hair up. I would also limit any contact with soft, stuffed objects in your classroom, and I would make sure that coats and hats belonging to children are kept in separate spaces for each individual.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 23, 2013

I've never heard of an adult getting lice. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm sure it does... but I've never personally heard it, so I doubt it happens frequently.

6. JoanPD

JoanPD Rookie

Jan 23, 2013

I have had it as a child as it went through the school, and then as an adult as it went through the house.

Avoid any soft furnishings in the school. When I was in school it was traced back to a couch in the classroom, and a few years ago it was found spreading from the pillows in the kids room of the town library. I also know someone who got it from the upholstery of a car

Many of the infections of lice today are becoming immune to the chemicals used to kill them. I found the best way of treating is with something called robi comb (sp). It makes a buzzing sound, and when it catches one in it's teeth, the sound stops, and it kills it immediately.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2013

I had it as a child a few times (oh, the torture) but not as an adult. It is VERY bad at school right now. I have long hair and I don't use hairspray and gels and such (every now and then I use mousse), so I guess that's working against me. Fingers crossed!

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2013

Tasha, lice are attracted to clean hair? I never had lice nor have I ever had a student who had it, I think, so my knowledge is pretty limited, however I would think it'd be the opposite. I saw an episode on The Office last week about lice. Don't shave your head, and apparently smothering your hair with mayonnaise should work. But that's from a tv show... (would mayonnaise really work?)

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2013

I've had it as an adult (when I was around 20-21), but I didn't get it from school. It was awful! The only way I got rid of it was by putting vinegar on my head overnight.

One year I worked at a school where a lot of kids got lice. I never got them when I was there. I wore my hair up most days and tried to avoid hugging students.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2013

I had actually typed something about The Office episode and then deleted it. Haha! :)

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2013

Haha, what did you say? I thought it was a funny episode. And I loved Creed's, "Great, I have to work with a weirdo" comment. :p

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2013

Pretty much what you said and then mentioned how they showed step-by-step pictures of the bald cap process on FB. I miss Michael, but I love The Office. And maybe Jim. :p

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2013

I didn't see the bald cap process... I'll have to find it.

I just remembered when my brother was sent home from school for having lice... My mom bought a lice killing kit and had us all put this stuff in our hair. I remember sitting in the bedroom, she did my brother and my dad first. I can't remember if I put the stuff in my hair or not. Anyways, I remember she was combing through my brother's hair and it turned out to just be dandruff. She was furious!

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 25, 2013

My daughter brought it home. I spent days looking for nits! Days cleaning.

Yes, lice prefer clean hair. When ever my kids would get the note, I'd check their head, wash their sheets & toss their coats in the dryer.

Hair products help to prevent lice.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2013

I've not been able to find information from a reputable source indicating lice prefer clean hair. Most health sites and the CDC say it truly doesn't matter to the buggies. I have found that clean hair can make it easier for lice to move to another location because clean hair has more volume and fly-aways which are like little bridges for them since they crawl (and not hop or fly), but that's it. It's been suggested that this clean hair myth makes parents feel better when their children get lice. Hmmm...

16. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 25, 2013

Our nurse says it isn't "clean", it is more the hair product. So, a child with freshly washed hair and a child with dirt in their hair are equal targets, it is the hair product that they have a hard time getting through to get to the scalp.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2013

Ah, now that would make sense. Seems, though, you'd need to use a ton of hair spray (thinking 80s Aquanet here...haha) to make it that difficult. But maybe lice are just wimpy. :)