lice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Aug 28, 2012.

1. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Aug 28, 2012

Have any of you ever caught lice? I haven't yet, (fingers crossed) but I do know a teacher who went to get her hair cut and was told she had lice. She was humiliated. I have 2 students (brother and sister) in my class who are prone to lice. Of course, they LOVE to hug. I don't hug students, so it's not like I am singling them out when I say, "No hugs."

Subconsciously, I feel like I keep my distance from them. When I catch myself, I immediately correct my behavior, but I am still worried about catching the things. I have long hair, but usually keep it pulled back.

Just wondering if YOU have every caught the creepy crawlers.....:eek:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Your friend shouldn't feel humiliated...it happens.:(

I've never had.

4. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Aug 28, 2012

I had them last when I was in 2nd grade (as a student, not a teacher). :D

This is only my 3rd year teaching. No student in my class has ever had lice, thankfully!

5. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Aug 28, 2012

I've never had lice. I've had students in my class have lice, and when I find out, it always makes me feel sort of creepy crawly. I have fairly short hair, and that is one of the reasons why.

6. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 28, 2012

No, I haven't - but I am really good at identifying lice! That was one of my jobs when I worked for Head Start.

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2012

I've never heard of someone being prone to lice before.

Last year I had it in my classroom. One of my students had it really, really bad- ended up missing like 4 days of school if I remember correctly. I was positive someone else was going to turn up with it after that but luckily no one did- not even her own sister.

8. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 29, 2012

I've never had it but I have had children in my room with it. Our school nurse of 20 plus years retired 2 years ago and our new nurse is truly an angel. She does classroom head checks once a month and a lice problem in our school is almost non existence. (only have 13 classes
    k - 3)

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 29, 2012

Same here!!!

Thankfully, I'm a guy and my hair is super short!

10. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Aug 29, 2012

No, but my dd did. Creepy little things. But it happens!

11. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 29, 2012

I had it as a child once. It was AWFUL. I get the creepy crawlies thinking of it too, and I'm so afraid of catching it.

12. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Aug 29, 2012

I had it as a child as well. In the first grade several children in my class got it and I was one of them. My hair was long and thick and my mother decided just to cut it all off! It was awful!

I'm also super-paranoid about bedbugs, which I've thankfully never been exposed to.

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 29, 2012

I had a preschoolers my first couple of years that was "prone" to it. We battled it all year off and on. We did head check every other Friday. Most times she had it. Our nurse cleared her one time but during nap when I was rocking her, one crawled in her bangs. I FLIPPED! I did the re-checks from then on. I didn't trust that nurse's eyesight. Then it got to where she might not have it on head check day but that next week she would be scratching and there they were.

Another case in another class was worse. They hired someone to come and pick the bugs and eggs out DAILY so she wouldn't miss anymore school. DHR (CPS, whatever your area calls it) was involved, too.

They weren't treating the house, the bedding, etc. It was awful.

14. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 29, 2012

It makes more sense for someone not to be "prone" to it, but frequently exposed in their home environment.

15. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2012

I think if someone keeps getting it again and again and again frequently then it never actually went away. I also agree with what Bison said about the home environment.

For those of you who worry or get it in your class- they do sell a special shampoo and conditioner that is supposed to prevent you from getting it if you're possibly exposed. I used it as a precaution when the student in my class had a really bad case. It came highly recommended by someone who used the same brand but a different type of shampoo to get rid of her daughter's terrible lice. I don't remember the name off the top of my head, but I still have so I could check.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 29, 2012

I got it from the hair salon! Grrr. .. .

I agree, those that are "prone" to lice are probably not getting everything clean. I had twins who kept getting it, but Mom wasn't telling Dad. I don't know how she kept it from him.

I had another girl who had a hard time getting rid of it. From that I experience I learned that the lighting in the room when you are checking makes a difference. Mom & I would check her & not see anything. Take her outside into bright sunlight & you could see them!

It was very hard to get rid of them when dd got them. When my kids were in elementary school we frequently got the letter that said someone in their class had had lice. I always did an immediate head check on both & toss coats into the dryer.

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 29, 2012

When my daughter was young, our entire Girl Scout troop caught lice. It was horrible. I get itchy just thinking about it!