Lice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jen12, Apr 19, 2012.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 19, 2012

I'm doing an LTS job at a school that apparently had a lice outbreak a few months before I got there. I'm not sure what constitutes "outbreak," but I have an aide who thinks every time a kid scratches his/her head it's lice. She was even convinced she had it but it turned out to be nothing. Since I've been there, they found one bug in one kid's hair, which led to having to check all of them. Several weeks later a parent claimed to have found it in another kid's hair, but the nurse said it was just dead nits. The parent's claim, however, led to another check of my whole class. This check led to one more child found with nits. The parent said it was just dry skin and that the nurse was wrong.

So...I'm wondering...is this panic overblown? Is it possible there really is no problem at all? Could the nurse be wrong? Has anyone else gone through this whole yes, it's lice/no, it isn't lice? How hard is it to really tell?

3. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Apr 19, 2012

This is a huge issue in my school, and it definitely is cultural as to how it is taken care of. Here- they don't quite "care" as much and just let it be. In the U.S. we tend to freak out a bit more. Anyway, most of my class has lice and has had it for the 2 years I've been with them. I even ended up getting it from them, but it took me over a year for that to happen.
    The way to tell if it is dry skin or nits is if the piece moves on the hair. If it does, it is dry skin. If it is glued to the hair, it is a nit. The thing with nits is, they are very difficult to kill and that is why it is recommended to either remove them or retreat a week to ten days after an initial discovery of lice, because they will have hatched by then but not matured to where they can lay eggs themselves. Of course, the entire house also has to be cleaned and others living there treated, too.
    I think a lot of parents don't want to use pesticides which is totally understandable. There are other options out there that word in different ways and are safe. I know what I used here wasn't a pesticide and supposedly suffocated everything. I think something like that is available in the U.S., too.
    I will tell you that it is a seriously intense feeling, at least it was for me, so if a child is really scratching a lot, I would be concerned. Like I said, the reaction is cultural and we tend to freak out about it more. Try not to let it consume your days- Good luck!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2012

EEEWWWWEEE.

My daughter brought home lice in 2008, just before Thanksgiving; I'm fairly sure she got them at the movie theater. Before I knew it, both girls had it.

I have to tell you, I was never able to actually see one of those nits. (The fact that both girls have dark blonde hair didn't help, as the nits are white.)

They're pretty hard to get rid of, even with the anti-lice shampoo. And you have to wash every piece of fabric that could possibly come into contact with their hair-- from pillow cases to stuffed animials to I don't know what. Their stuffed animals went into storage in the garage and were eventually thrown out.

Even now I'm itchy writing this.

So no, I don't think the panic is overblown. A class full of kids with lice is a PROBLEM.

5. bondo

bondo Cohort

Apr 20, 2012

Getting rid of lice is so time-consuming, and its easy to get it. So if everyone in the class has it, you have a very big problem. The lice will just keep going around.
    Someone needs to invent a super, nit-killing shampoo that corrupts absolutely all head lice problems.

6. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 22, 2012

Everyone in the class doesn't have it. That's my point. There is this random panic that leads to constant checking and the results tend to be that one kid maybe/maybe not has evidence that they may or may not have had it.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2012

My niece just had them. My sister had her whole family checked, all checked by doctor, threw out pillows and bought new, shampoo and other treatments of bedding/etc...sister said she spent about $300 on treatment/cleaning/replacement of items.:eek:

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2012

They're incredibly easy to spread, especiallly among young kids.

9. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 23, 2012

I don't think it's overblown. It's hard to get rid of and spreads like wildfire. If you've ever had it, it's pretty horrible. I had it in the third grade and panic at the thought of getting it now. If anyone so much as whispers lice, I put up my hair up immediately and start trying to keep my hair a bit dirtier. I'm itching at the thought of it.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2012

Me too.

And as the mom of two kids with thick hair who have been through it, I can't begin to describe what a huge pain in the.... neck... it is.

On the gross-me-out-meter, give me a week with 2 kids suffering with stomach bugs over lice any day!!!

11. strepsils

strepsils Companion

Apr 24, 2012

Having to check everyone's hair can be frustrating - especially if the end result is that noone has lice.

However, I think it is better to check and find nothing than to leave it and have it become an 'outbreak.' It is uncomfortable for students to have lice and can be difficult to remove when there are lots.

A few years ago I was itchy and had a friend check my hair. She said I had lice and I had to ask a teacher at school to check my hair during school hours - do the whole lice shampoo and comb it out. It was embarrassing and damaged my hair. End result? There were no lice to begin with and a time waster for the other teacher. I still think it was the right thing to do however.

Parents and staff want to be assured that there are no lice and head checks are the best way to do it. It's a distraction but I think it is a worthwhile distraction.

12. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Apr 24, 2012

I have 17 kids and 6 had lice this year all at the same time. I think it was 12 in the entire fifth grade. The nurse should be checking the kids. I don't know what policy your school has, but we do not have a not nit policy so the kids are allowed back in school with one wash as along as they get rid of the actual lice. It's been a problem all year.

I think it's actually really easy to tell when they have lice. My aide saw them in one of the girls hair and then the other 5th grade teacher was looking through one of the girls hair because someone said they said a bug and she said she could see them immediately.

13. juli233

juli233 Companion

Apr 24, 2012

I don't think the panic is overblown. My daughter had head lice 4 times over the last year. It is extremely frustrating. She has long beautiful hair she intended to donate to children with cancer. We ended up having to cut 4 inches of it off because of lice treatments.

Each time it takes a week of combing 1-2 times per day EACH combing took 2-3 HOURS. On top of that you have to wash every thing every day. all the bedding all the sheets, towels,clothes, jackets, sweaters scarves EVERYTHING!

The combing is painful and difficult and lice can spread some diseases.

As the parent who was doing the right thing(treatment, 7+days of combing, and all the washing) it is very frustrating to know that other people are bringing lice back over and over because they simply don't comb(they think the treatment is enough) They don't comb long enough or well enough. Try to imagine having to comb every hair on your head 5 hairs at a time.....
    it's not a major health risk but is very frustrating and painful for those who get it.

14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Apr 27, 2012

Lice need a human host to survive. No chemicals are needed to treat a school, just a 3 day weekend. If lice do not have a host for 3 days they will die. Just check all of the kids and treat those with it. Its pretty simple when you stop worrying and look at it objectively.

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 27, 2012

:agreed:

Any time one of my kids came home with the note that said that someone had lice in their class, I checked their heads! what a pain, especially my daughter as she has always had shoulder length hair. Plus I would toss coats/sheets/etc. into the dryer.