Libya, Egypt

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Sep 12, 2012.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2012

Not wanting to start debate....So disheartened by current events in the Middle East. Always such a hotbed region of the world..so sad.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2012

One of the teachers I co-teach with and I were talking about this today. It is so, so sad. :(

4. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 12, 2012

Did you see the pro-American demonstrations going on in Libya? So heartwarming that they're taking to the streets to support Stevens despite their circumstances.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2012

...and yet one can't help wondering if those in the photos will face repercussions.:(

6. smalltowngal

Sep 12, 2012

Based on the past, I fear for them as well.

7. jenneke607

jenneke607 Rookie

Sep 12, 2012

I am so glad that these people took to the street to promote a message of peace and tolerance. (It's perhaps unfair to say that it's pro-American; America has made a bit of a mess of North African relations, so I think it's completely possible to be against violence and murder, and to sympathize with the victims, but not to support the victim's government wholeheartedly.)

While I admit a certain bias, and I am not trying to start a debate, I think these atrocious events are another opportunity for people to reexamine their own misconceptions about Islam and life abroad (whether it's in North Africa, or the Middle East, or wherever). While I cannot speak with any certainty, having one's picture published online in support of a victim will not necessarily make one a victim in return. America seems to offer a very pity-based view on foreign politics. Some Americans think of everyone in the Muslim world (and that extends beyond the Middle East) as oppressed -- by government, by culture, whatever -- and it's not true. Let us all think positively for the people of North Africa, especially Libya and Egypt. I liked the following quote:

It is extremely important for Americans to realize that the attacks do NOT represent the belief of Muslims, nor a majority of Libyans. They are fringe extremist groups. While the situation in many North African countries is increasingly difficult, the citizens are not devoid of hope.

This post may be too soap-box-ish, but this is a sensitive topic for my family. (FYI, I'm American.) The above posters said nothing but sweet and well-intentioned things. For some reason, however, saying that we fear for the people in the photos, as if it's normative in North Africa to punish anyone who speaks out, rubbed me the wrong way. It felt like it fed into our culture of fear. The islamophobia in the US, coupled with a lack of understanding of life in these countries, is unreal. The more imminent danger for those photographed is global ignorance.

8. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Sep 13, 2012

The US Embassy in Yemen was attacked this morning.

9. smalltowngal

Sep 13, 2012

LMichele~I have heard there have been other attacks as well.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2012

:(

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2012

Jennek...my mindset is not that all Muslims or all Middle Easterners are violent or will retaliate against those in the photos. I don't think terrorists represent Islam. I do know though that even small, fringe elements are capable of horrific atrocities and retaliation.