Library

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2005

I am reorganizing our small daycare library. All of the teachers use it. I am sorting by many catagories. When I am done sorting, I need a good way to label the books according to catagories. The last person color coded the binding with small pieces of different colored tape. It looks awful. What would you do?

3. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2005

Could you find a source for those inexpensive, solid color slip on book covers? Maybe they could be cut to fit smaller books.

4. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jul 15, 2005

I numbered all my bins on the shelf that hold my books by category. In the front of each book I have a white label that has the category and the number. Anyone can easy put the books away for me. Piece of cake. I took the whole process one step further over the summer and put all titles excent according to category--that way I can look at all my books at a glance, instead of pulling bins down off the shelf.

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2005

Could you use crates for each specific category and label the crate?

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2005

Seich30 & Jenpooh, I have done what both of you have suggested. I have sorted all the books according to categories and labeled the shelves as such. Some of the smaller catagories are in small plastic containers and these also act as dividers between other sections. The next thing I am going to do is use the number system, putting a white label on each(on the bindings) with the correct number on them. It's starting to take shape. It sure is alot of work. I got rid of tons of books that were torn,not age appropriate, etc. Soon we will be in the market for new books!

7. greenfiremajick

greenfiremajick Rookie

Jul 17, 2005

Isn't it a great feeling to feel like everything's in its place???? ;)

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2005

Yes! I feel so satisfied. It has been driving me crazy for months and one day I just decided to tackle it. I went in there and started pulling books off the shelves until there was this enormous pile in the middle of the room.

9. greenfiremajick

greenfiremajick Rookie

Jul 17, 2005

You sound almost as bad as me! When I worked for KinderCare, I had the preschool room. My director went nuts one day because the bulletin boards, and decorations on the walls all needed to be replaced and I took everything down at once...... She didn't think I would be able to replace everything in enough time....But she didn't know I already had everything ready to go and available to put up....But we (my class and I) got it finished!!

10. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jul 17, 2005

Congratulations on tackling such a big project!!! It does feel so good to get organized. What I loved about making a list of all my books, listening centers, big books, flannel stories, etc. Is that I could look at my list and know what I had--I was tired of coming across a great activity only to realize that I should have used it in the fall. Sad when we accumulate so much that we forget what we have to use.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2005

We must all come from the same mold!

12. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2005

Patricia, I know you're done, but I reread my post and I didn't describe very well what I was talking about. The book covers I was talking about are stretchy and you can get solid colors as well as wilder ones. One of the papers had them 4/$1 in the Sunday paper. They might not have been a cinch to cut like I thought, going by the ad.

I wish these had been around when I was in school. We had to use those paper covers that you had to fold. I ws ALWAYS folding mine wrong and tearing them.

13. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2005

I think that's one of the reasons I love teaching so much! Whatever I missed out on when I was in school- I get to experience. Just like those new book covers! Or highlighters. (is this possible that there weren't hightlighters when I was in school? Maybe they were just used in business at the time...) I still love chalk and chalkboards though-must be the clicking sound of a new piece of chalk on a newly washed board..still love "Trapper Keepers" -does anyone remember those 3-ring binders? I never was able to get one when I was growing up (too expensive) But look at me now ! Maybe that's also why I frequent garage sales and thrift stores. I just recently saw an older "Holly Hobbie" Trapper Keeper at a thrift store. I am current with all the latest "office supply" trends. Anyone else have that quirk?

14. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2005

Our school wouldn't allow Trapper Keepers!! They said they were too messy, but I never understood that.
    lve2tch,m did you like all the pocket folders with the so many designs on??
    You seem like you're my age, so I'm wondering if you put Shaun Cassidy on your binder, too?? Tony Danza? Sigh.....