Library update

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by pwhatley, Jul 6, 2013.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 6, 2013

Okay, moving to third, so I need to update my classroom library.

What are some of your favorite books for third graders to read themselves? I'm interested in all of them, but if you know of some with black protagonists, that's even better!

I'm also looking for read-aloud suggestions (especially non-fiction).

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 6, 2013

When I taught third grade, I started the year off with Judy Moody Was in a Mood (the original book - the one where she starts third grade) as my read-aloud.

After that, the girls all loved to read any other Judy Moody books I had, and Junie B. Jones books were also pretty popular. Sports books, fiction and non-fiction alike, were popular among the boys. After I did a unit on MLK, Jr., I couldn't keep books about him on the shelf. Everyone wanted a turn at reading those. Marvin Redpost, Berenstain Bears, and Captain Underpants were other favorites amongst my students.

I tried to find read-alouds that either fit into the content we were studying (science or social studies) or that would lend themselves to teaching the reading skill for the week. I didn't teach third long enough to develop any regulars aside from Judy Moody though.

It's too bad you're so far away from me. I was just commenting to my mom the other day that I don't know what to do with all of those third grade books I have sitting in my basement. I have something like 12 banker's boxes full of them! I don't have the need or space for them in my resource room now, but I don't want to just get rid of them either. So, for now, they'll sit and collect dust.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 6, 2013

In fiction our 3rd graders were reading the EllRay Jakes and Keena Ford series. The sports books Tiki Barber wrote also come to mind for more multicultural protagonists. They might be on the easier side of that level-but I'm pretty sure they are in the 3rd Grade range.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2013

The Stories Julian Tells by Ann Cameron

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 6, 2013

I already have tons of the Magic Treehouse and Junie B. Jones books, so if they are still interested in those, that will help. I know I have a number of very low readers coming up, so probably some of my higher first grade books will work, too. Thanks so much for the suggestions - keep 'em coming!

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2013

My lower students loved Junie B. Jones and Magic Treehouse.

Other popular books were:

Judy Moody

I Survived (HUGE especially with the boys- invest in all of these!)

They loved anything by Roald Dahl (for the higher kids)

3rd Grade Angels by Jerry Spinelli they LOVED- I plan on making it my first chapter book read aloud this year. It's all about how to behaving and behaving like that when no one is looking.

My Weird School- very popular

Cam Jansen (lower)

The Chocolate Touch

Pippi Longstocking- this was a read loud- tricky but has great vocabulary and the kids loved the character

Horrible Harry (Low)

Geronimo Stilton

A to Z Mysteries

Bailey School Kids

Ivy + Bean

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 7, 2013

Wow, thanks, Iteachbx! (Pippi Longstocking is one of my favorite books of all time!)

9. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 7, 2013

The majority of my suggestions have been mentioned. I am a pk-5 librarian. The Ellray Jakes series offers an African American character and is liked moderately by third graders. Besides those mentioned, I would suggest scary books" (perhaps the most requested by third graders) such as Goosebumps and Bunnicula. Also consider graphic novels such Zelda the Spacegirl. Wimpy Kid is popular with first grade on up but may or may not be at an appropriate level for your group of third graders. Illustrated novels in general are popular. Third grade is fun! I notice second and third graders are especially interested in reading non fiction about topics learned in class. Aside from that third grade loves animal books, especially pests, fast cars, motorcycles, and biographies about celebrities.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2013

That's fabulous, since CCSS is requiring a LOT more nonfiction reading! LOL!

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2013

My students LOVED Pippi. So much they forced me to read the second book which I hadn't planned on doing as a read aloud, but they begged. It was great to have a character that they knew so well and they knew so many traits about cause I could quickly refer to her in other lessons as an example and everyone "got it."

It require a little editing while reading, there are some references to drinking in one of the books that I sort of skipped over, but the rich vocabulary made it such a worthy read. It was a great way to show them that sometimes we really do read for enjoyment and we learn from that as well.

12. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2013

Ditto on starting with Judy Moody. While not my first choice for quality literature, the boys really dig the Stink books.

13. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 20, 2013

What a great resource! Thanks for sharing!