Library Organization

Discussion in 'General Education' started by peridotylayne, Aug 2, 2008.

1. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Aug 2, 2008

I've done the book basket thing.. didn't really like it, because then I have to go through and decide which category the book falls under. I don't have a large library to begin with, and I'll only be teaching Math, Science, and Social Studies for at least a couple of years (hopefully longer - my three favorite subjects :p). I was thinking I could label the spine of the book with a colored dot sticker and then on the sticker write the author's initials and a number.

For example, the Magic Tree House books would be MPO 1, MPO 2.. so when I get a new one I just write MPO and a new number. If the author is Jerry Spinelli, I'd just have to write JS 1, JS 2.

I was thinking this would be an easy way to enter books into an excel sheet and keep inventory. Just thought I'd post and hopefully get some feedback. :thanks::thanks::thanks:

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2008

The thing about the book baskets is that they allow the fronts of the books to show. I've heard (haven't seen firsthand) that there is research out there that shows kids are more likely to pick up books if they can see the covers, rather than just the spines. Also, you don't have to be the person to decide where the books go; you could have your students generate a list of categories or genres and then have them sort your library. I've done this, and the nice thing is that the kids get to see lots of books from your library so they know what's there.
    I've personally given up on trying to keep track of my classroom library in any sort of computerized log. I have almost 1,000 books, and I know that some are going to get lost each year. I lose between 10-15 most years, but since I am an avid YA reader, I always add more than that. Kids also replace the books they've lost.

4. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Aug 2, 2008

I wish mine would replace them. I was surprised that my kids DIDN'T lose any this year. I had a pretty decent check out system that needed no maintaining from me or the kids, but if I want to keep it the same way, I'll need two big poster boards instead of one since I'll be having two classes.