Library organization

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Flanny108, May 23, 2014.

1. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

May 23, 2014

for the past ten years I have worked in a classroom that had a wonderful built in shelf that I used to hold all of my books. Some teacher built it custom for the room. It was probably about 5 feet long and had 3 shelves on it. I was able to neatly display all of my books in their bins on the shelf. Now I am moving to a new school and there is no place for me to put my books. I hate the idea of my bins just sitting on the floor. What creative ways have you stored your books for your library?

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 23, 2014

Can you bring in furniture? I bought some very cheap bookshelves from Walmart because I didn't have enough. Or you could do that cheap plastic shelving like this?

Or what about zip tying milk crates together like this?

4. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

May 23, 2014

Yes, I can bring in furniture, there's just not a lot of space, and I'm on a seriously tight budget.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 23, 2014

Ask your new custodians about shelving. Perhaps they can dig something up for you - or even better, build something. My custodian found me a wonderful shelving unit for my books. He added casters and gave it a fresh coat of paint. Often schools have storage areas with furniture waiting for a good home. Or perhaps the custodians are aware of another teacher looking to get rid of shelving (you never know!) that you could claim. Otherwise, thrift stores and garage sales may have something affordable that you could use.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2014

I have found a classroom library to be most effective when the books are changed out regularly. My students are always most interested in our thematic books that I bring in each month to go with the season or science/social studies concept.