Library Media Clerk/Computer Lab Tech Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mandelina, Jul 30, 2013.

1. mandelina

mandelina Rookie

Jul 30, 2013

Hello everyone! I just landed an interview for a library media clerk/computer lab technician at a great elementary school. I have a degree in elementary education, but have not been able to secure a job as a teacher. So, I figured anything to get my foot in the door would be awesome!

Does anyone know what type of questions I may encounter on the interview? This is a summary of the job description:

Assist with library media activities in a school environment; process and shelve library materials and assist students and staff in the access of library materials in a school or district library media
    center. Additional responsibilites include: Organize and operate a microcomputer laboratory for training and practical use. schedule lab use and assist faculy and staff with equipment operation and applications software; provide lab support and informal and formal training to lab users and other school microcomputer users; adjust and maintain microcomputer equipment

3. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 30, 2013

That sounds like a great job! I would focus on how you would provide support to students and faculty. Tie it into how as an educator, you're aware of what it's like to have to be looking for resources, and that you would see supporting the staff as key. Also, supporting the kids in the library=supporting their literacy development. Being familiar with the collection and the importance of non-fiction texts for the CC. Your technical experience and ability to provide support in that area....knock em dead!

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 30, 2013

This sound very appropriate. Also, a demonstrated awareness of technology resources for both students and staff might be a good thing. Can you think of some concrete examples of websites that you would introduce students or staff to?

What grade levels are included in your elementary?

5. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 30, 2013

What everyone else said...

I would brush up on web 2.0 tools that could be used for instruction (i.e. symbaloo.com, smore.com, etc.)

I would also know a bit about current books (perhaps check out the recent Caldecott winners in case they ask you to reference your book knowledge.

6. mandelina

mandelina Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

Thank you guys for your great feedback. The interview went well so hopefully I will know something today!