Library literacy station

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Lynnnn725, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2009

Does anyone allow going to the school library as a choice during their library station? I am thinking about making this available to my class this year and wanted to know if it seemed like a crazy idea. I am thinking they can go check out a book and read it in the library during that station. They would have a quiet timer...stop watch kind of thing. Has anyone done anything like this?

3. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

Yes. I had a 6th grade mentor for one rotation. She read a book to them and then they took out a book. The other 2 groups went and our ed. tech. in the library (our librarian is not full time) would tell them when it was time to go back. (She had a schedule of who would be there and when) There were a couple of problems we ran into. 1 - Sometimes if the ed. tech. was not there, the library was unexpectedly closed. 2 - The kiddos sometimes forgot to bring their books back from home and couldn't check out a new one.
    But, you are not crazy for thinking this might work. :) Good luck!

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2009

oh, awesome! ok. i am hoping this will add some excitement to the library station, lol.

5. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

I guess it would depend on your librarian. Ours only does a whole class check out system once a week. She doesn't allow first graders to just come in and check out when they want.

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

Our librarian welcomes open check out all day, everyday, for everyone. I know I will need to extensively model and let it be known this privilege can be taken away. I might just have it so they bring their just right books from the classroom to the library and just read on the comfy couches in there. IDK yet.