Library check-out system

Discussion in 'General Education' started by rachaelski, Jul 7, 2009.

1. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 7, 2009

Hey all, I am beginning my 4th year of teaching and I have yet to come up with a workable system for checking out books from my class library. I teach middle school, so I have a lot of traffic.

Any ideas or tips?

Thanks!

3. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 7, 2009

I gave up with a check out system long ago. I decided if they wanted a book so bad that they had to 'steal' it, who was I to stop them. It's a big enough struggle to keep the books neat!

4. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 7, 2009

I gave up too! My students are allowed to take home a book at a time, as long as they bring it back. Sure, some disappear, but like Lynn K. said, if they like books enough, let 'em have it! Sorry I can't be more of a help!

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

I have them write their name, the book title, and the date on a sticky note, which I then place on a calendar. They got the book for two weeks; if they didn't return it, they could check it out again or I called home. I also kept a title list printed out on a bulletin board near the door so they could check and see if I had a book they wanted that was checked out of the school library. Worked very well for me... the only time I every "lost" books was when another class floated in on my planning and the teacher didn't watch them.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 7, 2009

I keep a file box on my desk--with small cards, and the kids write their name, book name, and date on the card and file by book title. They return books by leaving them in a designated area--usually a basket near my desk, and I take the cards from the box and reshelve the books.

I still get some books that "walk" every year, but a lot of them eventually show up in the school library, some other classroom, or a locker at the end of the year.