Library Chairs, Sofa, Pillows, Other?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherShelly, Jul 20, 2008.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 20, 2008

Hi! I'd like my class library/reading area to be home-y with a sofa or chairs and reading lamps. The prior teacher left me a dozen pink corduroy and a dozen blue corduroy throw pillows, which is wonderful. Now I want to add chairs or a sofa. Any pros/cons I may not be thinking of? :love::thanks:

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 20, 2008

Well, at our school, fabric sofas and chairs are a no-no because of head lice issues. Throw pillows can only be used if they have a removable cover = like a giant pillow case -- same reason. Leather-like covers are okay.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008

The only thing I can think is that you should check the school's fire codes. I had a great library set up with a couch and pillows and beanbag chairs and when the fire marshal came in he told us all that all of that stuff had to be fire retardant. Lots of the stuff we spent money on had to be taken out. :(

5. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

There is spray that you can apply to fabric to make it fire retardant, but I don't know what it's called.

I love to make my room very home-y, but I'm careful about lice.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 20, 2008

We ran into the same problem with rugs. They made us take out all of the rugs people had bought for their classroom. If they weren't those $300 ones from the teacher store (which are certified as fire retardant) they had to go. Many teachers were very upset because they spent their money on them, and then couldn't use them.

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 20, 2008

I wonder about these concerns... I've seen sofas in classrooms (while student teaching at my new school); but I've also seen teachers have to rid their room of all pillows for weeks on end due to lice. I think maybe I should wait til the year starts and add things if I can. I'm still searching for a free slipcovered sofa or two armchairs anyway, and the wait can be loooong !

8. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 20, 2008

This is so true! I have a hard time understanding why so many teachers want to take the chance of infecting their rooms with lice. I know first hand that this is an issue. My sister taught in a school where lice was a major . Parents could not afford the proper medication for lice removal and many could not launder bedding, etc because it cost too much a Laundromat. I have a wooden rocker in my reading corner. Those of you who are rushing out to purchase rugs, sofas, cushions and pillows should check with your school before spending your money or really think is this a problem you wish to deal with. Lice also appears in homes that are the cleanest, too, and can be transferred to your room. Sometimes your room can be the culprit without you being aware of it.

9. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

i also had a problem with having enough room for all of the stuff...i have a pretty good size classroom but having a sofa/pillows etc. was just too much stuff. i would wait until you have started the year and see how space concerns are plus the other mentioned items- lice and fire code and go from there

10. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

I had beanbags in my 4th grade class and the kids loved them. We just piled them all up at the end of the day - no problems for 3 years running.

11. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 20, 2008

Cozy Classroom

Did you find that they got a little wimpy and would loose their fullness? I know with all the dorm stuff going on sale now, now would be a good time to get them. Where did you get yours? Were they around $20?

:) Rox

12. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 21, 2008

Mine did lose their fullness and I actually had to throw one out. I've replaced the beans in that two I still have (have had them for about three years and they were used when I got them) and need to replace them again. The two that I still have are a stronger material. If you can, I'd try to invest in beanbags that aren't plastic, but are more leatherish (is that a word).

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2008

I had two camp chairs until last year's class broke them... not on purpose, but just by being a 10-year old kid.

I like the idea that Mrs. Shea has at her website about putting cushions on crates, and she calls that her "dugout".

Leather-like pillows are excellent. I hope to find more for this year. Maybe corduroy or leather-like bean bags wouldn't be too bad, either.