library/book organization

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by missred4190, Sep 2, 2006.

1. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Sep 2, 2006

Hi! I have recently started puchasing even more books through Beay, Scholastic, ect. to further build a classroom library. I would like to color code them for organization, but I'm not sure about categories. Picture books would be too general. I know I need a nonfiction section, but how should I further break down my vast collection of picture books? What are some of the classifications/categories that you use? (These are K-1st level books, generally, so I have very few chapter books.) Thanks!

3. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Sep 2, 2006

pets
    wild animals fiction
    wild animals non-fiction
    weather
    plants
    autumn
    winter/Christmas
    Halloween
    Thanksgiving
    Arthur
    Berenstain Bears
    Clifford
    frogs
    science
    Social Studies
    Things that Go
    Family
    Friendship
    Manners
    Math

4. iteachk-1

iteachk-1 Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

How about by themes such as polar animals, ocean, farm, fairy tales, weather, friendship, beginning school, math? I also have mine categorized by seasons/time of the year I will be using them. I also have baskets labeled Clifford, Berenstain Bears, Franklin, Junie B Jones, etc. I also use colored baskets to level my books for Accelerated Reading. These have colored dots to coordinate with the basket. Almost all my books are labeled with a sticker that matches one on the basket to make it easy for the students to return them to the proper basket.