Library Book liability

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Blossom, May 28, 2010.

1. Blossom

Blossom New Member

May 28, 2010

I called a parent today to let her know that the library shows a late/missing book, and that I would have to withhold the report card until the fine is paid.

Mom said the book was never brought home...they searched everywhere and its NOT at home, and that the daughter last saw it in her old desk. She said she lost it in my class when we moved desks (and her book was left in her old desk). I told mom that the book hasn't surfaced despite the whole class cleaning out our desks. Mom said she wouldn't pay since the book was lost at school.

I don't know whether the book was lost at school or home. I've never had a problem with students losing books in my class. I also have a very cohesive class (i.e. no little thieving hands). In fact, the last kid whose parent claimed it was lost at school had the book appear the next day at home.

I just restated to the mom that "I am told to withhold the report card" until the fine is paid. To which she said "Good Bye" and hung up the phone.

If she is being honest, I can understand her reluctance to pay for it, but then again, I certainly don't think I should pay for it either. Does the school just eat the cost?

3. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 28, 2010

At my school I have a kid who still has a book out from kindergarten. They never really did anything. I guess it just follows them. I still have to give him late notices from the missing book even though it happened last year.Maybe once they get to 5th grade that really have to pay. I am not sure.

That parent sure was rude. Wow!

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 28, 2010

Usually the school will just write it off....a lot of schools will say they hold the report card but actually wont because the parent technically never signed at the beginning of the year that she will be held responsible for library books and a minor can not be held accountable.

The parent being rude stinks but I would just direct her calls to the principal, it is not your responsibility as the classroom teacher and it will really be the principals call.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

May 28, 2010

I agree, I would direct her call to the librarian... not something you should have to deal with!

6. busybeeZ

busybeeZ Rookie

May 31, 2010

Whether HER daughter lost it at home or school seems inconsequential to me. It was her daughter's responsibility to care for the book, (not YOURS, just because she had it in the classroom).

If the consequence is that she doesn't get the report card, so be it.

Mom should have a talk about responsibility with her daughter.:2cents:

7. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 31, 2010

I agree. It's the girl's responsibility. We do hold the report cards for unpaid lunch charges, missing library books, unpaid after school program fees. I just send the report card to the office with a note and I have no idea what they do after that. I have no desire to get involved.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 31, 2010

We hold for library books, too. Honestly, many don't pay. The school does have to eat that cost. They are making changes, next year, though. After the 2nd library book lost by a child, they are unable to check out books again until the fines are paid. That will stop some of the problem (the kids will be more careful with the books). Some parents, though, still won't pay. I have covered the cost before if it was low, and it was a situation where I knew the family would struggle to pay. One of my kids had a lost book and I called the mom to tell her, then I found out that the her 2 brothers and 3 step-sisters all had lost books. For them to get their report card would cost Mom around $75. That's crazy!

9. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

May 31, 2010

I would send a general note to all parents to please check at home. Perhaps someone else took it home by mistake. I like to give the parent the benefit of the doubt. If this is not a perpetual problem with this family, I would take her for her word and do what I could do to locate the book and then send it off to the principal from there. I could understand the parent's frustration if she never even saw the book!

10. missidy

missidy Rookie

May 31, 2010

I'm laughing because my school's protocol for checking out a book is the teacher records the borrowed book any way they want. I go down my class list and the students tell me their chosen book. When they return it, i just cross it off my list. I've lost track of how many times I'VE messed up recording the proper book or knowing if they've returned it. It's a terrible system, but no one is held accountable. It's one thing that i don't stress about :)

11. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 31, 2010

At our school, parents do sign a form saying they will be financially responsible for missing books. We hold the report card. Usually the report card is still sitting in the office the following September.

You are not responsible for the book. I would just be sure to check thoroughly in the classroom and then inform the librarian of your conversation with mom.

Sometimes our library books are "found" shelved in the library. We have student helpers who sometimes incorrectly check in the books. Whenever my students have overdue books, I check the library shelf before sending a note home.