Library Behavior

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jen12, Apr 15, 2014.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 15, 2014

Any advice on how to get first graders to just behave in the library? I think the biggest problem is that our library time is at the end of the day when they're just over the day.

I've been working with them on keeping their comments to themselves during read-alouds. They've gotten a handle on it when we're in the classroom, but in the library, they just can't keep quiet. The librarian doesn't react to it very well.

The second thing is that after they get their books, they want to share them with each other and the noise level raises. They pay no attention to requests from the librarian or from me to cut the chatter. I've considered hanging on to their books after they check them out and giving them back once we get to the classroom, but that would just open the door to boredom and talking in the library.

They were getting better before Spring Break, but this week was our first time back since the break and it's like September all over again. :dizzy: It was really bad. I'd consider cancelling their library time, but I don't think it would have any impact.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2014

A few thoughts, from someone who is not a library teacher, but has subbed numerous times as the librarian and seen what has worked extremely well and some things that have not worked at all:

First, all of this would require working with the library teacher - as honestly, as much as you can prep your kids for how to behave during that time, it'd need to be a team effort.

1.) Could you maneuver the schedule of their library time where the last thing they do is check out books, and then have a structured time where they partner with a classmate and read each other's books together (i.e. buddy reading) or at least share with each other? I bet it could happen with some modeling by the librarian/the best behaved students/older students.

1.5) Either that, or do the checkout at the beginning? I know this is dependent on how the books come down - but if they could come earlier in the day, get checked in, and the report ran for how many books each kid can check out before that class shows up, that'd allow them to check out, but then the requirement could be to leave their book on the cart/in the basket to take back to class.

2.) How long are they sitting / listening quietly? Perhaps they need to start with (or in the middle of library) do a quick wiggle song/game. Also, how do you handle blurts during read alouds? If that specifically could be shared with the librarian, it might be easier for them to react (the best libraries I've subbed in - the librarian has their own specific ways they've taught the kids...but I know that doesn't always happen).

Maybe a bit of time needs to be put in place during the library time for them to chat about their books...as you said, it is the end of the day, and you definitely want them to be excited about their books! Just some thoughts...hope something helps!

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2014

I understand the need for them to be quiet during read alouds and when you're speaking or giving directions. But at the same time, they're very young, it sounds like a good idea to give them time to share their books and discuss their books with each other. Why does it have to be so quiet the entire time? Are there other classes using the library at the same time? If not, I would add in some time during library that they can talk. This might help you keep them quiet at the times where talking is inappropriate. I'm thinking something like, "you get 1 warning for talking during the story, after that you won't be allowed to sit and share your book, you'll have to sit alone."

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 16, 2014

It's not a matter of total silence. It's more that they have trouble with quiet voices. Much of that is the age itself. We've been working on quiet sharing all year in the classroom. In the library, they're much more compressed than they are when they're spread out doing centers in the classroom, so it's harder for them to hear each other. They get progressively louder to hear each other over each other. I agree on the positive aspects of sharing their books with friends, but the librarian is very strict and she gets pretty upset with them.

Their slot is after their afternoon recess, so they're hyped up from that. It also doesn't give me time to talk to them before hand about expected behaviors. If I do it too early, it's out of their heads. It's a very chatty group to begin with. There are about six boys who just don't respond to any behavior correction, positive reinforcement, negative consequences...etc. Two have even visited with the principal to no effect.

It's a challenge.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2014

Must teachers remain with their homeroom while in the library?

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 16, 2014

Yes. The librarians are not certified teachers, nor are the computer room techs in my district for that matter. The teachers have to stay with the class.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2014

Oh. Hmmmm.... I find that so odd and sad. So is the librarian "in charge" during library time, or do teachers lead things?

9. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 16, 2014

It's basically their room and their show, so I guess you could say that the librarian is in charge. There is pretty much just a read-aloud and picking out books, so it lasts 20-30 minutes, tops.

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2014

The kids see she's the one in charge and that's why they're not listening then. Is she the one reading them the story? She needs to take ownership over the behavior management while they're in there or they're going to continue not to listen to you- or her.