Liberal Studies Vs Child Development

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hellokimmie84, Sep 14, 2015.

1. hellokimmie84

hellokimmie84 Rookie

Sep 14, 2015

Hello everyone! I wanted to pick everyone's brain on the matter of majors when it comes to teaching. I'm planning on getting my special education credential, and ideally I want to work with elementary school aged children. So, my question to you all is does it really matter which major I choose, will one affect my chances of getting a job more easily in the future? If so, which one is the better route?

I appreciate your time <3 Happy Monday!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2015

This probably depends a lot on your particular state and district. Where I'm from, a degree in liberal studies is sort of a joke. In another place, it may be totally the right degree to get for a future elementary teacher.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 14, 2015

I'm assuming you'll be at Fresno State? Whether or not you attend a CSU, most elementary teachers major in Liberal Studies with a minor in Child Development. Honestly, I can't think of any colleagues who did not major in Liberal Studies.

Personally, though, even though I wanted to stick to elementary--I majored in English.

5. hellokimmie84

hellokimmie84 Rookie

Sep 14, 2015

Close, but I'm starting Fresno Pacific next month in their degree completion program since I have two small kids and work during the day.

Thank you both for your insight.

6. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Sep 14, 2015

I majored in Human development and minored in psychology. I don't think in made a difference in the hiring process here. Most of the teachers I know majored in elementary ed, which is a parts of many liberal studies programs. The biggest difference I think is how the degree reads, Bachelors of Arts verses Bachelors of Science.