Liam is One-Week Old and His Jaundice is Gone - Pictures & Questions, too!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Starista, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Feb 9, 2011

Hello Everyone!

Hi! Just wanted to share some new pictures of our precious son with you. I can not believe a week has gone by so quickly!

Liam turned one week old yesterday -- and also had his 3rd trip to the pediatrician's office for another bilirubin test for his jaundice. Great news, Liam is finished with his jaundice blanket therapy! He had to be attached to a blanket 24/7 for almost 3 days of his new little life. He was great about it though, we were so proud. We are thrilled that his jaundice is better and that he doesn't need to eat, sleep and play attached to the blanket anymore.

I have a few questions for parents with children. I bought two books "Baby's First Year" and "Baby Milestones," but I have 0 time to read them -- haha!

1. Our pediatrican informed us to feed Liam "on demand" - whenever he shows signs of hunger like eating his hand/finger, making his sucking noises, etc. Sometimes he goes 2 hours without showing hunger signs, but other times he shows signs 15 minutes after eating 2 oz of formula. What are your experiences with feeding on demand - and how long does it usually last?

2. Did you using baby wipes on your baby? We've used them, but some nurses at the hospital told us to just use a cotton ball and warm water.

3. While we're on the subject - did you use diaper cream as a preventative measure or just when baby gets a rash?

4. Should we always be tracking/writing down the time and/or amount our baby eats? We did this when he was on the jaundice blanket because the way to rid your body of the jaundice is by getting it outof your body, so to speak. I believe we'll continue with that - but should we record our baby's diaper patterns and/or sleep patterns?

Thanks so much. :)

Enjoy some pictures of our Liam's first week of life. He's a blessing!

Liam looking with keen interest around the Lab of the pediatrician's office. That calm expression went away 3 minutes later when they drew blood from his tiny heel:
    [​IMG]

Liam yesterday at the pediatrician's office waiting for his blood test results:
    [​IMG]

Liam and I patiently waiting for his blood test results (yes, I need to wash and brush my hair badly!):
    [​IMG]

Liam and Daddy waiting:
    [​IMG]

Our precious baby on his first week old birthday - he's exhausted after a hearty feeding and a birthday bash (ok, so it was just James, My Mom and dad, and I -- but that counts):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2011

Can't help with your questions, but he's adorable!!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2011

1) We feed our little one on demand as well. She's one now, and still feeding on demand. I think it's okay to offer more after 15 minutes because babies will only eat when hungry. My little one eats all the time and is still not any where near overweight.

The feeding all the time probably lasts the first 2, sometimes 3 months. It will slow down and you will get into a pattern.

2) We use baby wipes and have never had a problem with them. We do buy the sensitive kind just because of some diaper rash from teething.

3) We use diaper rash cream but only when we start to see some diaper rash. I don't remember her having any prior to 3 months when she started teething though!!!

4) I loved tracking when she ate, how much, sleeping, and pottying. It is so much fun to look back on now and see what was going on then when you were so sleep deprived. It also was very useful in getting her on a schedule after a few months.

Good luck and he's adorable!!!

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2011

1) We did the demad feeding... I think they go through little sprurts... Like Mopar they'll eat when they are hungry!!!

2) We used baby wipes as well...no warmer either. We used them from Sam's Club because they didn't have that strong "wipey" smell.

3) Like Mopar when we saw it... I like Butt Paste...sounds silly but it works really good.

4) We did for about the first month or so!

Extra... when he gets a little older pay attention to what diapers work better... it always seems people find their favs.

He is too cute... it's hard to believe our lil ones were so lil!!! Happy 1 week Bday!!!

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2011

I WANT ONE! (As a grandchild, of course--already done the mommy thing!) :lol:

He's just darling. My baby is 23 now, and I never used diaper cream--maybe once or twice if she had a bit of a rash. If they're kept dry with frequent changes, it shouldn't be a problem.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2011

Mrs. K... I noticed more of a rash in the summer months when they are hot... almost like a "heat diaper" diaper rash...

Love the blanket!!!

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 9, 2011

Feed on demand, but watch for signs that something isn't "right". Babies don't know the difference between "My tummy hurts because it's empty" and "My tummy hurts because there's something wrong." If he seems to be eating too much and starts spitting up excessively, seems overly gassy, or only finds relief by pulling his knees to his chest, that would warrant a trip to the pedi's office.

I used baby wipes on all my kids once they got out of the NICU/PICU. A 26 week old preemie is still a bit to young for them, but the "sensitive" wipes are fine for a full term or older infant. Also, unless you keep your house very cold, don't worry about wipe warmers.

I only used diaper rash cream when it was needed, or as a preventative if the boys were started on antibiotics or other meds that are known for causing diaper rash.

I had preemies and very sick newborns. I did track feeding and diaper output for quite some time, but there was a reason. If he's healthy and growing, pay attention, but unless you want to track it, don't worry about it.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2011

It's been a long time since mine were that size (where did the time go?!?!). Alex used to get the same expression on his face that Liam has in the first picture. I remember being told to use a cotton ball and warm water instead of wipes, I switched to wipes quite quickly when I realized just how ineffective the cotton and water was when dealing with messy diapers.

10. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Feb 9, 2011

So cute!!

My son is 7-weeks-old. I feed on demand. Sometimes he goes 3 hours, other times it seems like he's attached to me all day! We do use wipes and use the cream when his tushy looks a little red. We tracked his feedings and diapers until his 2-week check-up but he was gaining and looking good so we stopped after that.

Good luck! The first few weeks are the hardest.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2011

He is so adorable!!!!!

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2011

I never heard the cotton ball thing... what size cotton balls are you to use!?!? Because if I remmber some of those messes I would have to just wet the mass of cotton balls & wipe!!! LOL!!! I can't imagine doing a few at a time...You'd probably get a "shower" from your lil one...and not the kind you want either... LOL!!!!

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 9, 2011

You are a wonderful mommy! Liam is a lucky little boy to have such loving and caring parents!

14. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Feb 9, 2011

Right? I just had a huge mess on my changing table because in the 2 seconds between removing the old diaper and getting the new one under his butt he let loose. I wouldn't be messing around with cotton balls. lol

Was Liam circumcised? Maybe they suggested that until it healed?

15. Harper

Harper Companion

Feb 9, 2011

Our pediatrican informed us to feed Liam "on demand" - whenever he shows signs of hunger like eating his hand/finger, making his sucking noises, etc. Sometimes he goes 2 hours without showing hunger signs, but other times he shows signs 15 minutes after eating 2 oz of formula. What are your experiences with feeding on demand - and how long does it usually last?
    I fed on demand, but kids got into a schedule fairly quickly. The key for me was making sure they ate enough, usually 10-15 minutes depending on kid, to "fill up". Otherwise, they would "snack" every half hour! BUT, I did not worry about the for the first several weeks.

2. Did you using baby wipes on your baby? We've used them, but some nurses at the hospital told us to just use a cotton ball and warm water.
    *Cotton balls were pushed. That lasted a week - it was a pain. I did use the sensitive wipes.
    3. While we're on the subject - did you use diaper cream as a preventative measure or just when baby gets a rash?
    Had to use as a preventative, but my kids were ALWAYS rashy. Boudreaux's Butt Paste is worth the money, as is Triple Paste.
    4. Should we always be tracking/writing down the time and/or amount our baby eats? We did this when he was on the jaundice blanket because the way to rid your body of the jaundice is by getting it outof your body, so to speak. I believe we'll continue with that - but should we record our baby's diaper patterns and/or sleep patterns?
    I did, but had kids with food allergies. I did not track sleep other than in my head.

Good luck - he is beautiful!

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2011

Harper... also make sure you are pumping the other side (if you're bfing)... if you don't you could lose the milk.

17. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Feb 9, 2011

Beautiful little boy!

1. What are your experiences with feeding on demand - and how long does it usually last?

I must have been one of the few that set a routine for mine as soom as they were born - I would feed them every 4 hours. It got so that I could set a clock by my babies. Of course, I fed them in between if they were fussy and seemed hungry. But feeding them on a routine was so much easier for my babies, me, and our family. They gained weight just fine, too.

Cotton ball and water - that is funny! I bet the nurses haven't had to clean a really poopy diaper either - one that goes clear up the back, fills sleeper legs, etc! I used the unscented Parent's Choice from Walmart. They were great and thick enough to do some good!

Desitin was my diaper rash creamof choice. I only used it when their bottoms got red. It is thick enough to stay where it is put and it works SO fast - usually in 1 hour that rash isn't red.

4. Should we always be tracking/writing down the time and/or amount our baby eats?

Nope. As long as he is gaining, then I wouldn't worry about that. Spend the time doing something for you, your husband, or for the baby. Unless there is a medical issue, I wouldn't worry about it.

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2011

Having only a furbaby, I am totally out of my element here, but regarding tracking, we got this gadget for our friend for a shower and she loves it.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/geek-kids/newborn-infant/b45e/

I don't know if it keeps a log, but it tells you how long it has been since the last diaper, feeding, nap, and there is a button for which side if you are BFing. There is an additional button you can use for anything else. She said when she had mommy brain the first few weeks it was easy to tell what was going on.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2011

Relax, new mama, and be aware that things may work for you that don't work for others, and vice versa. As long as the kid's thriving and you're not making yourself unnecessarily crazy, it's all good.

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2011

Amen... what works for us may not work for you... do what's best for you & your babe!!!

21. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Feb 9, 2011

Trust your instincts and your husband's. You will find what works for you and your beautiful baby.

As for wipes, we just used warm wash cloths at home and Pamper wipes when we went out.

22. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Feb 9, 2011

He is precious!!!

23. gigi

gigi Groupie

Feb 9, 2011

Beautiful pictures Starista!

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2011

He's soooo adorable. Time flies...Nicholas is 14 weeks today! :eek:

25. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2011

Cotton balls and water???!!!! What????!!! I had to use a beach towel with mine.

OK. Not really. But cotton balls and water strike me as "dainty" tools for what those little darlings can produce.

Liam is adorable. I love that first picture. So sweet.

26. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2011

1. Our pediatrican informed us to feed Liam "on demand" - whenever he shows signs of hunger like eating his hand/finger, making his sucking noises, etc. Sometimes he goes 2 hours without showing hunger signs, but other times he shows signs 15 minutes after eating 2 oz of formula. What are your experiences with feeding on demand - and how long does it usually last?Until about the time he leaves for college.

2. Did you using baby wipes on your baby? We've used them, but some nurses at the hospital told us to just use a cotton ball and warm water. The only time I used cotton balls was in my ears when the child enter the "why?" stage....and up until he left for college.

4. Should we always be tracking/writing down the time and/or amount our baby eats? We did this when he was on the jaundice blanket because the way to rid your body of the jaundice is by getting it outof your body, so to speak. I believe we'll continue with that - but should we record our baby's diaper patterns and/or sleep patterns?You will not have enough paper. By the time they hit their tweens, you will be crying at how much money you've spent on food and snacks. I would suggest posting a big sign on the refrigerator when you go to bed that says NO. Also start hiding your chocolate bars and any food you want for dinner now. It's a good habit to get into.

Seriously, you are going to have so much fun raising him.

27. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2011

Shouldbeasleep - Loved your answers! Made me laugh and cry at the same time. When my 3 boys were in sports in high school I was paying $300 a week in groceries - a gallon of milk, a box of cereal and a loaf of bread a day, not to mention everything else.

My main advise re babies is relax and enjoy him. There is no right way or wrong way - just what works for you. Don't get stressed about what everyone else tells you or the newest fad. If he thrives you are doing things right!

28. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Feb 9, 2011

1. I guess I did on demand with my daughter? I made sure to feed her every 2 hours or so and kept her on a schedule however, if she was hungry well, I fed her lol This meant only sleeping an hour at a time during the night and then feeding her after every hour. THAT was not fun lol

2. I used baby wipes on my daughter. Boy was THAT a mistake!!! No one EVER told me to be careful with this due to how sensitive a baby's skin is. My daughter ended up getting a VERY VERY bad rash where it seemed like her skin was peeling off in layers = ( Very stressful time for me. I highly recommend waiting to use baby wipes until baby is a few months old. Petroleum jelly was a lifesaver with that rash. I also used water and a washcloth to wash her off with.

3. I just used diaper cream when she needed it but you could use it as a preventative measure. I was soooooooo careful, though, to change my daughter's diaper every hour when she was a newborn. Now, that she's 2, I change it every 4 hours or as needed.

4. I did the tracking of my daughter's diapers for the first few weeks of life. I think it was just to help keep you on schedule and just in case something strange happened....? I just did it.

Your son is SO adorable = )

29. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 9, 2011

Oh, and FYI...since babies can cause severe mommy-has-lost-her-mind-and-all-knowledge-of-well...anything-syndrome, here's a tip: If you did circ, and they advised you to use petroleum jelly until healed, keep in mind-petroleum jelly is used to block liquid from being absorbed. If you rub said jelly on a diaper, whose main function is to absorb liquid, it probably won't work well.

I swear, it took us a good week to figure out why our son's diapers kept leaking. Um, duh mommy! :)

30. Harper

Harper Companion

Feb 9, 2011

Such a good point, DizneeTeachR! That was an issue with my first, right up to the moment when I looked in the mirror and realized my body seemed "deformed." So glad we are past that stage (by about three years!)

Have fun Starista! It is SUCH a blast!

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 10, 2011

shouldbeasleep, that's hilarious!

32. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2011

I just thought this was one of those things...if I had only known....

33. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 10, 2011

Too cute!!!