LI NY Business Secondary Teacher

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Muffin1, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Muffin1

Muffin1 New Member

Feb 10, 2011

Hello everyone,

I will hold my BBA and 2 Master degrees (MBA and MS) finishing up the MS now. I was wondering if anyone knew around how much they would start me at on Long Island NY, any help is appreciated.

Thank you :)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 10, 2011

No idea what the pay scale is, but you'll almost certainly have to go through teacher training first... and it's hard to say whether there will be any job openings.

4. Muffin1

Muffin1 New Member

Feb 10, 2011

I will be going for Student teaching at the end of my degree. Which is usually how teachers get their jobs they said, through student teaching or substitute teaching.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2011

I recommend that you look at the Job Seekers forum on here. That might give you some more information about the process of finding and securing a job.

I didn't get my job through my student teaching experience. That school wasn't hiring in my subject area, so there was no job to be had. And that was before the economy tanked.

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2011

It's not going to be easy to get a job...many districts cut their business programs, choose a school to student teach in wisely!

The step one salary for MA +30 credits is about between 50,000-75,000 (lower in Suffolk, higher in Nassau) If you have a specific district in mind, you can see all of the contracts(which include a payscale) at www.seethroughny.net

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2011

When will you be graduating?

8. Muffin1

Muffin1 New Member

Feb 10, 2011

Thank you for you help.
    hopefully were I student teach will be hiring for my area.

I do want to become a teacher. or do you all think that that's a bad idea??

9. Muffin1

Muffin1 New Member

Feb 10, 2011

summer 2012 I will be done.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 10, 2011

I don't think it's a bad idea, Muffin1. The world is insufficiently full of those who, like Chaucer's Clerk, "wold lerne and gladly teche" - paying proper attention to teach, learn, and gladly, and not always in that order.

It just isn't always very easy, is all.

11. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2011

It's not necessarily a "bad" idea...but it's going to be tough...I know in the district I work in as well as the district I live in, they cut the business programs dramatically...teachers were excessed...this means they are on the recall list for 7 years- if a job in that tenure area opens up, they get it.

The economy will eventually turn around and they will be able to add more electives again, so if its what you love, go for it.

...did you see in Newsday this week, they are trying to take the state mandate off of middle school librarians, middle school home ec and technology....I hope it doesn't pass, that would be insane!

12. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Feb 12, 2011

I live and teach in Suffolk County, LI. All I can say is good luck! If you find a job with low pay, TAKE IT. I'm not sure if you're up on LI schools but we made HUGE cuts last year and this year, under Cuomo's new budget plan, LI school aid will be slashed again; resulting in even more cuts. (And not to knock business, but it's not a required course in NY--except for 1/2 year economics--so it'll be especially difficult to get in with it.)

If you are lucky enough to find a job, figure around $35,000-$40,000 to start. I sincerely hope you find a job but given that LI is making huge cuts AND that the first chance of "new" jobs will go to the teachers that were cut last year... it's grim.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/more-school-staff-being-warned-of-layoffs-1.2680343