Levels of books to include in library

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs.Giggles, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 9, 2013

My goal is to tackle my classroom library this weekend, and I'm already overwhelmed just at the thought of it.:eek:hmy:

I already know that I want to label by genre/topic, but I don't know the range of books that I should include. Fortunately, I have gathered quite a few books over the years. However, these books range from preschool to the sixth grade level. Do I include all of these books in my classroom library, or do I possibly limit it to books between first and third grade reading levels? I will be teaching second grade, and I want to make sure that there are books that will meet the needs of all of my students.

:help:

3. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 9, 2013

Last year in my 2nd grade class I had students who read from a 0.7 to a 5.6 so I had a wide variety of books available because I had to for their independent levels. I would keep as wide a range as I needed to be able to meet their individual levels.

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 9, 2013

I think for the first weeks of school the 1st-3rd grade levels are okay. As Melissa said you may need a wider range depending on your kids.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2013

Piggy-backing on this question - moving to third grade from first - I'm thinking that I should leave the 1st grade level books out of my classroom library - does that make sense?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2013

Grade 2... If you're using Fountas and Pinnell guided reading levels, I'd go with G/H through N....any thing needed for lower and higher level kids you can borrow from colleagues.

I moved from grade 2 to 3 a few years ago and barely ever have need for anything below a level L. Again, if you have strugglers, you could borrow from the grade below.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 9, 2013

I'd go a year below to a year above until you know your students. Adjust as needed.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2013

My first year in 4th grade I had readers A to Z on Fountas and Pinnell. (We get a lot of kids brand new to the country at my school.) Then I moved to 3rd grade. I kept the low, low books because you never know when a new low kid will come along, they don't take up that much space and the other kids know to stay away from those bins. My highest reader at the beginning of the year was an O so I put anything R or higher away. As the year went on and the kids improved I put out higher books. Eventually everything just ended back out because by the end of the year my range was C to V.

I find it huge hassle to borrow books from other classrooms, especially since at our school the kids are expected to take their books home with them to read. I guess it depends on the population of your school. I could get a kid from DR who knows no English with 0 warning. It's nice to have the lower level books out and leveled already.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2013

Wow"..level C in grade 3... Was this an Englsh speaking student?

10. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 9, 2013

Thank you for all of the advice. I've also been talking to a friend who teaches in the same district as me, and she had a student who was level Z by the end of first grade. :eek:

I think what I will do is at the start of the year I will have a library with books ranging from A to Q, as Q is the level students should be on by the middle of fourth grade. I will then adjust from there as the year goes on. Fortunately, I have so many books that I don't think I will need to borrow from another teacher. My husband has started referring to me as a "hoarder." Ooopps...

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2013

:2cents: it's inappropriate for a first grader to be reading level Z...the material is too mature. I hope your friend had the professional good sense to point him to more appropriate material..classics are a good choice for young readers who are reading beyond maturity level.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 9, 2013

:lol::lol::lol: At least he's only started to call you a hoarder. I have a small collection of my books at school which numbers at almost 400 titles, not books. I have several duplicates.

This summer I've started to inventory my books that I have at home. I have 164 on 2 shelves, 42 different titles. I still have 6 shelves to go.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2013

We don't use Fountas & Pinnell :( - in the past, we've just gone by AR level, but now (with CCSS), we are moving to Lexile Levels - I'm just learning all about them.

14. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 9, 2013

I"m really not too sure. She's entering her second year of teaching, so I'm sure her mentor advised her what to do in that case.

I will have to remember what you said about the classics just in case I have a child whose reading level blows me out of the water.

15. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 9, 2013

Primary is weird like that. When I did 2nd/3rd I had everything A-P, as far as guided reading levels. I wouldn't be surprised if several kids are above a P or several are non-readers.

I'd go with the advice of a grade below, grade level, and grade above until you know them.

16. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Jul 9, 2013

You may want to include some of them (or wait and see based off of your kids). When I student taught in 3rd grade there were some students with pretty significant reading difficulties (even had IEPs). One girl in particular was extremely smart overall, just had a lot of trouble reading and needed lower-level books.

17. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 10, 2013

It really depends on your population. If it were me, I'd keep all the levels you have. I've sent kids to colleagues to look for books before and had them sent to me from others too. I found that the kids often felt embarassed and avoided checking out books just to avoid having to go to a lower level room. I also had quite a few two and three grade-levels below (& above!), so having a wide range was very helpful. Only a small handful of kids were actually right on grade-level.

18. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2013

Yes, but she was moderately MR. In fourth grade I had quite a few A-D, 5 I think, but they were all new to the country.