Leveled Book Library

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Kteacher06, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Jan 9, 2010

Hi K Teachers-
    I just acquired a nice library of various leveled books. There is quite a variety as far as who makes them (Scholastic, Rigby, etc). I have set up the library in labeled baskets in my room, but I'm kind of stuck as to how to use this in the best way. At first I was going to have students just use it like our regular class books, but now I'm thinking that it might be nice for them to keep a book log or take books from this library home to practice. What do you think? Do you have a leveled book library? How do you use it?

Oh, and I have sets of leveled books, but I use those for guided reading. This is a library of individual titles.

Thanks!:)

3. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Jan 11, 2010

Anyone??

4. srh

srh Devotee

Jan 14, 2010

Hi! We have a "Home Reading" program for our K kids. We prep and laminate a large manila envelope, decorated on the front with the child's drawing and name. The other side has a parent signature page to write the title of the book the child has just read, with the parent signature to verify.

We send a book home with a student...the parent reads TO the child the first time, and then WITH the child a second time. (We send a note home also with some reading tips.) The parent then signs the outside of the envelope and it comes back the next day.

At school, a volunteer will pull a child back and have him/her "read" the book aloud. We have a binder to record the books sent home, and we indicate if the book was difficult, easy, or perfect for reading. Sometimes a book goes home a second time--just use your best judgment in training your volunteers. Keep in mind, this is at least THREE readings of one book--great for fluency practice.

After a student has read 15 (our chosen number!), he/she gets to choose a book to keep from our Scholastic collection. It's a very popular program, and it helps students really enjoy reading while becoming more fluent. For us, the program is parent/volunteer-driven, so books don't go home every day. But we try!! :-D