Level Z Guided Reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by RuralPAteacher, Feb 11, 2012.

1. RuralPAteacher

RuralPAteacher Rookie

Feb 11, 2012

I have several 4th grade students reading at a level Z Fountas and Pinnell. Often books at this level are not age appropriate. What books would you reccommend?

Thanks in advance!

3. AFine

AFine Rookie

Feb 11, 2012

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2012

I'm in the same situation. I have 1 student who perfected a Z so we consider his level "Adult Literature" and another Z, plus a student at an X and W. It's hard to find books on their level and we had none in the classroom because the 4th grade class in the room last year was no where near as high.

Just to let you know many of the books on the link posted were not level Z. (Not that there's anything wrong with higher level students reading them) But Pippi Longstocking, The Borrowers, Chronicles of Narnia, E.B. White books, are all more in the R-V range.

As far as Guided Reading goes, with our highest readers we do literature circles instead of traditional guided reading. Since these readers are so high I don't think it will harm their abilities by choosing a level W or above book to read because they're really working on analyzing and discussing the book.

Here are some good books to consider for higher level literature circles:
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret (W)
    A Wrinkle in Time (W)
    When Zachary Beaver Came to Town (Y)
    Samir and Yonatan (Z)
    Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry (W)
    Maniac Magee (W)
    Walk Two Moons (W)
    Tuck Everlasting (V)
    Crash (V)
    The Fourth Stall (Z)
    Chasing Lincoln's Killer (Z)
    Flygirl (Z)
    Hidden Girl, A True Story of the Holocaust (Z)
    Little Women (Z)
    Johnny Tremain (Z)
    Forge (Z)
    Milkweed (Y)
    Okay For Now (Y)
    The Loser List (Y)
    White Fang (Y)
    Out of the Dust (X)
    Red Scarf Girl (Y)
    Al Capone Does My Shirts (Y)

5. RuralPAteacher

RuralPAteacher Rookie

Feb 13, 2012

Thanks!

I looked everywhere for literature packets for The Fourth Stall but came up short. Do you know of any?

Also, does anyone else know of any AGE APPROPRIATE level Z books for 3-4th grade students?

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2012

I don't know what you mean by "age appropriate" because we have a lot of the books I've listed above in my 4th grade classroom and I feel they're age appropriate.

7. RuralPAteacher

RuralPAteacher Rookie

Feb 16, 2012

I would also agree that they are appropriate. However, my parents and school do not. I am sadly not allowed to have children read fantasy stories (like The Golden Compass) because of witchery, wizards, and so fourth. I am not allowed to read books like Treasure Island that talk about drinking alcohol. I can not read books with fighting, battles, or death. I had my students read Where the Red Fern Grows earlier in the year and parents got upset because one of the dogs die. I AM VERY LIMITED. I do not agree with this but of course must follow parent wishes.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2012

I don't really know if books like that exist. No death at all? That is just plain ridiculous. Learning to deal with death is a part of life and there are some really good stories for kids about it. From that list try Flygirl. I haven't read it but I don't think it has any of those things. Crash doesn't have "fighting" it has bullying though, which again is a fact of life so I don't see how that's not appropriate. Honestly that's just so stupid. Johnny Tremain has fighting/violence, but its HISTORICAL FICTION- it's the way things were in the late 1700s. That would really drive me insane.