Level 2 Clear California

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by fcoffman, Mar 16, 2009.

1. fcoffman

fcoffman New Member

Mar 16, 2009

Hi! I was hoping someone could answer some basic questions I have regarding a Level 2 clear California Special Education Credential. First, I'm very disappointed in the state of California due to the fact that all the preliminary general education teachers that I work with can enroll in the BTSA program free of charge to clear their credential. Special Education can't enroll in BTSA, why? Second question, do you have to enroll in a Level 2 program or can you take specific classes that fit state requirements? Meaning I would rather go to a private school or a community college. Private school such as Phoenix University/National. Money is a real issue especially in a down economy and the state expects us to fork out more money or lose your job in 5 years, UNBELIVABLE!!!!!!! I looked into the state schools and they do offer a Level 2 program of 30 units to clear, 30 UNITS YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been in school for my entire life, taken ridiculous amount of so called NCLB exams, and now 30,000 grand in debt and they want 30 more units to keep my job, LOL!!! Somebody please shine a light on me because I now know why so many people leave this profession in California!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 16, 2009

I don't have an answer for you, fcoffman, but let me see what I can find out.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 16, 2009

I'm told, fcoffman, that the Level 2 at one CSU I know of is 30 units ONLY if you're doing a combined credential/MA; otherwise, it's 12 units.

From whom are you getting the information you've presented here?

It's unlikely that you can get the courses you need at a community college, since those courses would be post-BA professional and I don't think most community colleges offer coursework much past lower-division undergrad. Nevertheless, there may be exceptions; one needs to check locally.

5. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Mar 16, 2009

What district are you in? In my district, you can (and actually must) enroll in BTSA for Special ed too.

6. alsolo11

alsolo11 Rookie

Apr 4, 2009

Special Ed teachers aren't required to take BTSA. Only way to get Level II credential is through a university or private school. You could also get your Master's and Level II at the same time since classes intertwine between the two. Each school has its own requirements so it really depends on where you want to go. Have you looked into the APPLE loan forgiveness program to eliminate some of that debt?

7. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Apr 5, 2009

Hmm, interesting. What district are you in in LA? I will be getting my Clear through the district next year (no universities involved). :cool: