Letting Students Take Home a Class Pet?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sjnrae, Aug 12, 2010.

1. sjnrae

sjnrae Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

I recently got 2 guinea pigs as a classroom pet. Unfortunately I was not aware that both were pregnant. I now have 4 guinea pig babies to find a home for. I do not intend to let my students take the guinea pigs home over the weekend or holidays, as I would be devestated if something happened to one of them. Other teachers may be interested in adopting one of the babies once they're old enough, but they plan to let their students take them home on weekends and holidays.
    Has anyone done this? Did the students take care of the pet? Did you ever experience problems? What age were the students you allowed to take the pets home?
    Thanks!

3. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 12, 2010

When my daughter was in 6th grade her science teacher allowed her to bring home their classroom pet hamster for the weekend. It was the very first time we;ve seen a hamster and my daughter was so thrilled to have the hamster home. She took excellent care of it. We were all very excited.

The teacher had a sign up sheet for students to take turns and there were so many signed up for it that my daughter didn't get to bring the hamster again for the weekend that year.

I'm not sure if the teacher ever experienced any problems.

4. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

I had a co-teacher who had 4 guinea pids in her room and she let kids take them home for weekends. The parents had to sign a sheet saying they were aware of this happening and then the parent had to pick the student and guinea pig up after school on Friday and return the guinea pig before school on Monday. This teacher had been doing this for a couple of years and it worked very well for her.

5. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 12, 2010

Last year, my daughter's 3rd grade teacher allowed them to take the class guinea pig home. My daughter LOVED it. Her teacher had created a "instructions booklet" and a tub full of needed items.

It seemed to work fine.

6. km51571

km51571 Companion

Aug 12, 2010

Do any of you or your fellow teachers have a info letter alerting parents of the class pet and/or class pet "take home" expectations?

Wanted to do a class pet last year and never did--hoping to this year!

7. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

Two years ago I had a pet white rat in my classroom. He was lent to us by a student and his parent. I think the mom wanted to get the rat out of her house, but anyway, I did allow the students to take home the rat on weekends and holidays. Students were required to bring in a note from their parent stating they were allowed to take the rat home. I then put the names in a cup and drew to see who would get to take the rat home each weekend.

Last year (and this year) I had a hamster in my classroom. I did not let my class take home the hamster as I didn't have very many students that I could trust to take care of him. He did fine on the weekend by himself and I brought him home for every major holiday.

I think it depends on the class you have. I will see how my class is this year before I decide that they can take the hamster home.

I have had very positive experiences with having a class pet. The students for the most part are careful with them in class with me there to make sure they are being careful with the pet.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 13, 2010

Both my daughters had the same K teacher. She had every class pet you can think of. Birds, hamsters, guinea pigs, dog, bunny. She even had bummer lambs. And, yes, the kids got to bring them home. The lambs had to be fed every 4 hours, even at night. It was so fun for the kids. Each animal had an instruction book, and a big box of supplies. (As a parent, I was not thrilled, but it gave the children a chance to care for a pet and then take it back.)