Letting students in early

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wldywall, Sep 12, 2008.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2008

I try to arrive at work a half an hour early, so I can prepare for the day, check email, lay things out, etc. I need that time to myself to get my thoughts organized. Well the high school lets the kids in the building (out of the cafeteria) about 20 minutes before class starts. And that is when the pounding on my door begins. Litterly pounding, as students demand that I let them in. I have even tried closing the curtains on the door, does not work. I am thinking about putting a sign on the door telling the students they are not allowed in early. I mean, really, I might have just set my stuff down and need to go to the bathroom and they want in, which means I cannot even go to the bathroom!

Am I wrong for wanting to keep those high schoolers out until I have to let them in? Do I have to give up my few minutes of morning prep time for kids to what to hang out and eat in my classroom (which is strickly forbidden but one student thinks as a football player rules don't apply to him.......should be fun to tell the coach that one...lol) It irritates me so much I sometimes end up pissed all day long.

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 12, 2008

I know what you mean. I do the same thing. I come in early and start the computers and the smart board and get the last minute things taken care of. I like to read my bible and pray in the mornings and it is hard when the kids try to come in.

I am with you with the bathroom thing. I do not want any kids in my room when I need to run to the bathroom. I go before the bell rings because I can not go again until 4th period then the end of the day is the only other time. I know where you are coming from and you have that right to have your few minutes before they come in.

4. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Sep 12, 2008

I'm with you on this one, too. Homeroom doesn't start until 7:30, but the first students start coming in right after 7:00. The few times I've been running late and don't get to school until 7:15, they actually have the nerve to give me attitude when I finally arrive to open the door!

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2008

First, I'd tell the kids during that first class that you are not going to be letting them into the room early because you sometimes have errands to do outside of the room right before they start class, and other times, you are busy preparing for the day. Then, definitely, put a sign on the outside of your door re-stating what you've already told them.

However, I wonder what other teachers in your building do? If you are the only one not letting kids in, you're going to look like you're not playing according to the school's unwritten rules. If other teachers do not let kids in early, find out how they do it, and follow suit.
    Kim

6. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 12, 2008

Ugggg that is so unfair. The students think they have the right to be that way when they don't. I know a few that arrive super early and we send them to the cafertia because they were giving the teachers fits just because they got their early and the teachers were basically on time. It isn't fair for the teachers to have to deal with their attitudes it just sets the tone for the day :eek:

7. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Sep 12, 2008

I would just lock my door. Tell them when it's time for them to come into the room, you'll unlock it and open the door. If they give you attitude, tell them if they really want school to start earlier, they can take it up with the principal.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2008

I wouldn't let them either and I think the sign is a good idea. As far as the football player is concerned, hopefully the coach is supportive of the other teachers. When I was in HS, the football players would get in trouble with the coaches if they gave any grief to their other teachers.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2008

I know I am elementary, but our kids can begin to enter at 8:10 and school starts at 8:30. Last year, they were allowed in 30 minutes prior to the day. I get there early if I need something done because I know they will be entering at 8:10.

I think you should let them in at least 10-15 minutes early. I was often the first one to my first class because I am anally organized and I used that time to get prepared for the day.

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 12, 2008

I don't understand why the school allows the kids to come to the rooms so early. Why don't they keep the kids in the cafeteria another 10 minutes? I understand they need time to go to lockers and get their books, but 20 minutes is way too much time. Why not see how other teachers feel about this and bring it up at the next faculty meeting or present the principal with a signed petition from the teachers for the dismissal bell to ring 10 or 15 minutes later than it currently does? You can lock your door, and that might work in the meantime, but it doesn't solve the real problem (that they are released early.)

11. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Sep 12, 2008

That really bugs me too. I am so NOT a morning person. I need that prep time to just gather myself, or else I'm grumpy all day. :blush: I feel the same way about the first five min of class. I hate being bombarded as I try to do attendance.

I have first block off for planning now, but last year I definitely had kids banging on my door to come in the room...sometimes 35 min early (buses start arriving 40 min before school starts). The first time they did that, I just opened the door and told them that they needed to wait outside until the bell rang. After that, I just waved at them from inside my room. Eventually it stopped. :p

If a student needs to come see me to ask a question, make up a test, etc I have no problem taking the time to talk before school begins. Otherwise...I need my "me" time!

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2008

I have a problem with this because the K teachers take notes from teachers, money, etc form the students whenever they arrive. However, in my class I do not take anything until the bell rings. I tell my students that I will not listen to them or let them in my room until the bell rings. Eventually they learn to leave me alone until then and they are 1st graders, so I am sure if you make them aware that they will not be let in until then, they will understand. don't think that you should explain to them why they can't come in at that time because that is your time and your class and you do not have anything to explain to a student. If not the sign sounds like a really good idea.

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 12, 2008

We have always had this problem, and are really working as a staff to make sure everyone opens their doors at the same time. The kids get there early and sort of run around outside the classrooms screaming! I can't stand it. I would rather have my students (the youngest class in our building) just come in rather than have a bunch of adolescent sixth graders gabbing and flirting and running around them!

But, I am waiting until school starts and not letting them come in early. I would prefer they come in, and can open my door two minutes early, but not really any sooner. What also happens is they get dropped off earlier and earlier and I totally lose my morning prep time.

14. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2008

:banghead:I am required to open my door ten mintues before class begins, so we have time to meet with students. I think they can wait until then. But they want to come in 20 mintues BEFORE that. So I can get there at 7 am and have kids pounding on the door by 7:10 (not knocking, hard enough to make me think they will break the glass) My desk is viewable from the door, so they just keep knocking. :banghead: I will let them know I won't open the door, and I am not the only teacher who does not open it. They are not supposed to be in the halls, but that is only seriously enforced in the freshman wing because that building only has one door.

If I don't them them in, I can hear them bit** loudly that I am stupid and mean for not letting them in and they are not going to put up with that....well, they had two weeks to learn not to do that, if it happens again, I write them up. I will not be disrespected, but I will make your life miserable if you do. :p

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  15. Mrs.ABC123

Mrs.ABC123 Rookie

Sep 12, 2008

I think you are totally justified in feeling as you do. I do not think you should let the kids in early-you can let them in when you are supposed to as stated in your contract/school policy. It sounds like that time is your prep time. You do not need to give that up. In the past, I have just put a sign on my door. "The door will open at 8:45-when the bell rings." It does not make you a mean teacher-you are just doing your job.

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 12, 2008

I totally understand your point of view. You are not wrong in wanting your prep time. I do let students in early, but that is because I am often the one who they bring their adolescent troubles too. Most of my kids don't have anything that resembles a real parent and I feel like I can give up 20 or 30 minutes of my time to listen to some boy broke some girl's heart or how this kid is upset because mom is never home because she's always working and they still don't have enough food to eat (or worse). We actually foster that kind of stuff because realistically, most of the kids don't have anybody else who gives a darn. We're a small school though, so it's not that many kids who will come early.

17. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2008

I would have no problem letting them in if anyone needed a caring ear, but all they want to do is horseplay and eat in my classroom which is in violation of school rules.

18. wig

wig Devotee

Sep 13, 2008

This sounds like a discussion to have at the next faculty meeting. I am sure you are not the only one annoyed with this policy.

However, I would put the sign up and inform your first hour class that that is how it will be and you don't care if they are unhappy about it. Cover your window with the sign. If you catch anyone pounding on the door write them up for insubordination.

Your other alternative is to let them in. Tell them how excited you are that they want this time for advanced learning and give them a graded assignment to do. Bet they don't show up again, or they leave promptly.

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 13, 2008

Yeah, I got that from your original post. I totally understand your feelings on the subject. I wouldn't be too happy either in that situation.

20. forkids

forkids Cohort

Sep 13, 2008

This sounds like an annoying and unsafe situation. At our school ALL students wait in the gym with on-duty teachers supervising them until the first bell rings. The ONLY place they are allowed to go in the building is straight to the cafeteria to eat breakfast if they are eating, then right back to the gym. There are more teachers/paras on duty in the hallway to make sure they go straight there and back to the gym. Each teacher has morning duty one day a week and other days you are free to work in your classroom during this time.
    You do have the right to this time - don't let them in. It sounds like your administrators are allowing an unsafe and chaotic environment in the mornings. I would bring it up at a staff meeting and stress that I am worried about student safety.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  21. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Sep 13, 2008

:toofunny:

I like this suggestion.

22. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2008

At my school the kids who come early have a designated spot where they have to wait. Kids are not allowed into the academic wing until 10 minutes before the start of homeroom, unless they have a pass from a teacher. The teachers who watch the kids before then get an extra stipend.

23. Mrs.A

Mrs.A Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

I agree with forkids-your administration is creating an unsafe environment. Who is responsible for supervising those kids? It sounds like no one. So, who is liable if someone is hurt? In all the schools I've worked students were never allowed anywhere but the cafeteria or the gym until the teachers were on duty to supervise. I heard of a school once where a girl was assaulted on school property before school (it sounded like a situation similar to yours-kids were allowed in and no supervision). I can't imagine that your administration wants to be faced with the consequences if something happens to these kids. Lock the outside doors until teachers are on duty. State clearly in the handbook students aren't allowed in the halls until ____ time. Otherwise, everyone is setting themselves up for liability if someone is hurt. Good luck.

24. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

Our elementary kids have to wait in the cafeteria whether they eat breakfast or not, until dismissal time around 7:40. They aren't even allowed in the building. Highschool has to wait on the sidewalk outside the hs building. They aren't allowed in either until a specified time. Sometimes a parent slips past the office and comes to my room. I don't know how to tell them without being rude, that they can't come in for a conference any time they want! I've started locking my door. We have dead bolts on the inside of our rooms now. Maybe they will get the message! The same thing happens in the afternoons....I stay to get my work done, not to socialize or have conferences with parents. My principal really gets hot under the collar when parents do that!!!

25. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2008

I have one morning per week that I am available to them at 7:00 so if they play sports, etc then they have a time to come and get help. The other 4 days of the week are mine in the morning and they cannot come to the classroom area. There is a duty teacher in our commons area that they have to pass through to get to the classroom side of the building. I let her know what morning I am available and she will not let them out on any other day.

26. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 13, 2008

I would turn off my lights, lock my door, and put a sign on it saying "Homeroom starts at 7:40am. You should go back to the cafeteria (or where ever) until then."

My kids are starting to come in earlier and earlier as well but I honestly don't mind it at this point. They know they must respect my classroom and so I trust them enough to leave them in the room by themselves. Otherwise they'd just be roaming the halls without supervision.

27. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 13, 2008

I agree - I get to school early so I can be prepared luckily the system in place where I teach is that students sit outside the classroom and they are monitored by T.A.'s, Enrichment Teaachers etc.

28. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2008

This has been discussed to a point, and mind you it is only a handful of students, usually the older ones that drive. They have a door open to them that is right next to my classroom. The students are supposed to stay outside or in the cafeteria. Problem is we had to relax those rules, cafeteria holds about 300, average amount of kids eating breakfast 700, student population, 2000. So the students are given rules they are to follow, and know they will get into trouble if they violate them, but until we have more room or a better solution we are dealing with the situation as it is. There are enough teachers in the hall that they don't horseplay out there and they know they cannot eat in the classrooms (teachers can ask for students to eat in their rooms, but no trash should end up anywhere).

29. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 13, 2008

Or include this information on the sign you hang in your window! "I welcome all early arrivals IF they want some extra time for learning. I have many challenging assignments waiting just for you !:D"

30. wig

wig Devotee

Sep 13, 2008

I like yours even better!

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2008

I don't normally allow students into my room early. Since I have to supervise students at all times when they are inside my classroom, I wouldn't be able to run my normal morning errands like checking my mailbox or picking up copies in the main office. My only prep is during the last period of the day, so the only time I can do those things is in the morning before school starts. It's too inconvenient for me to give that up in order to supervise kids who should be able to take care of themselves in the hallway or in the main courtyard.

As far as rude, persistent knockers, I would totally cut that stuff off. I'd go out into the hall and very firmly direct those students to stop pounding on the door and leave the hallway immediately upon threat of referral to the deans' office.

Just because they're knocking doesn't mean I have to let them in. And just because they're rude doesn't mean I need to cater to them.

32. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2008

I send the kiddies back to the office if they are early. The time that I come in is well before contracted time and I won't watch kids then! I have that time for the bathroom, copies, and just getting settled in for the day! I say talk to your adminstration about it.