Letting Student See a Letter of Recommendation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Splasher, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Splasher

Splasher Rookie

Jun 14, 2014

Do you ever let students see letters of recommendation that you write for them? I understand that they are supposed to waive their right to see the letter, but many of my colleagues let students see the letters they write for various reasons (of which I am unsure). I would never agree to write a letter if I couldn't write them a good one anyone.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 14, 2014

Mine do if I have to give it to them. Some send it in themselves.

I too would only write one if it's positive.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 14, 2014

From the perspective of someone on the letter-receiving end, I think it is nice to let the student you're writing for see and have a copy of the letter, addressed with a general greeting. Of course, that would be assuming that you feel comfortable recommending this student for whatever they choose to apply for.

If the student needs another letter in a few months for an academic program or scholarship, it is nice for them to have a copy they can just send, instead of pestering you to write or send in another one.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 15, 2014

I have let students see them in the past to give them a boost of confidence. Sometimes they know that people like and respect them, but when they see it clearly articulated with specific examples, it makes them realize, "wow, I really do have what it takes!"

6. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 15, 2014

Nope. I don't want them all comparing the letters I write for them with each other.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2014

I always let them see it so they can tell me if there is anything they want me to add.

Sometimes, I just let them write it themselves and then I go back and edit, fix it up, add some adult terms, etc.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 15, 2014

I always let them see it. I only write letters for students where I can say something really positive. Then, I make sure the letter of recommendation is only positive.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 15, 2014

I don't always let them see it, but that's more because I just want to get them sent out and off my desk. If a student asks to see their, I will show it to them. They're always positive, and I will tell a student straight out that if they really want me to write a letter for them, it will not be positive, if their effort in my class is lacking.

10. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jun 16, 2014

I once had a teacher show me their letter of recommendation, and it was mind-blowing to read what she wrote. I had no idea that she regarded me so highly, and at the time, I had low self-esteem, so it was a great self-esteem booster. I also show it to students so that they can let me know if there are any errors before I send it in. I once had someone write a great recommendation letter with my last name spelled wrong throughout the letter.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 16, 2014

I put a copy in an envelope and sign across the seal. I also give the student a copy.

As a teacher who sees students as juniors and again as seniors and as a teacher who teaches 2 concurrent (college credit) classes, I get a LOT of requests for letters of recommendation.

I let students see them because I write honest reflections of their skills and talents. It is good information for them.

Every professor who ever wrote a letter for me, even though I waived my rights, shared a copy of the letter.

I have told students no when I feel I couldn't write a positive letter.

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 16, 2014

I haven't written a lot of them since I don't teach high school, but when I do, I am always willing to share a copy with the student.