letting it go

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by leannwade, Mar 28, 2008.

1. leannwade

leannwade Rookie

Mar 28, 2008

For those of you who read my previous post, I have decided to let this go before it consumes me. All I can do is my best and hope that others agree. Thank you all for the kind words.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2008

There are going to be parents of your students that no matter what you do they will never be happy. And the more you teach, the thicker your skin will grow and you will be able to let this roll off your back like nothing. It sounds like she's not able to let her little boy grow up. Don't let this parent affect your confidence in your ability to teach.

4. leannwade

leannwade Rookie

Mar 28, 2008

thank you for that. i needed to hear it.

5. Hannah's Place

Hannah's Place Rookie

Mar 28, 2008

hang in there...some parents can be so hard on teachers without realizing how much we are responsible for. Don't let her harsh words get to you (I know it can be hard!) but if you know you are doing your best and the best for all of your children then really you can't make her happy -- no matter what you do.
    Take a deep breath when you see her and when you let it out just think to yourself "nothing will make her happy so let it go".
    Good Luck!!

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 28, 2008

People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    -- Abraham Lincoln

This mother has made up her mind to be unhappy - with whatever happens at your school.

Make up your mind to ignore her non-stop complaints! Be happy with all the good things that you and your para are doing with your class! :2up:

7. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 28, 2008

Boy...this reminds me of my very first year teaching. The second day of class I had a parent right a two page small print letter to me about what I did wrong in my classroom. I was blown away...we had only had a half day of school and we did "get to know you" activities. I couldnt' believe it. Everyday for two months she tore my teaching abilities to shreads. I was in tears half the time. I felt very much the same way as you. Fortunately I had a very supportive admins. and mentor teachers. My principle moved the student to another class, not because she didn't think I could handle it, but because she thought that of all the things I needed to learn my first year, I didn't need the stress of this parent. I did learn to thicken my skin & how to be firm with these types of parents. I am not sure how long you have been at this, but if this is your first parent, it won't be your last. You will learn how to deal with these situations. Plus, this is a great forum for ideas on how to handle these types of parents.

8. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Mar 28, 2008

Problem Parent

Don't let this parent get to you. I think all teachers have had this situation at one time or another. You will find as you teach longer that you can never make everyone happy. Just trust yourself and your knowledge of what you know is right. Don't let her cause you to doubt yourself. Hopefully your administration is standing behind you. I have had a couple of these situations in the past year and it makes a huge difference to have thier support. Many times when these parents are behaving this way they are experiencing problems in other areas of their lives and it is just easier for them to direct their frustrations at the school and the teachers. Hang in there!:)

9. leannwade

leannwade Rookie

Mar 28, 2008

I really appreciate everyone's support on this matter. This is my first year teaching, and it has been very hard on me. I am trying so hard to let it go. Your words have really helped me. Thank you all! :)

10. brilliance

brilliance New Member

Mar 28, 2008

Hang in there it will get better. Don't try to please this one parent. Keep focusing on the other parents and their positive words. Have faith in YOUR ability. She only has this one kid.How many do you have each day?

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2008

here's a couple of ideas

let this parent volunteer. several things will happen. 1. she won't let the poor kid do anything alone. 2. she will see that it is possible that the aide is a nice person. 3. she will become more trusting. 4.she will latch on to you until that kid gets to college.

yes, we all had that parent before, I am sure.

document all your conversations, and your efforts. You had 2 eyes on him, and somebody blindsighted you and threw a block. There is no way you could have stopped that! that is just a fact. this mother must undestand that life happens, no matter how careful you are. I had a kid with autism, and his mother was doing everything but covering the house in bubblewrap to keep him from getting hurt. the problem was she was preventing him from seeing and feeling reality. so when he walked in front a kid on a swing, he got knocked down. that hurt, but she couldn't understand. eventually he did! (she had been moving things out of his way!)

call her bluff. some people are just mouthing off because they need to vent. Next time she says she is pulling her kid out, don't argue. Don't encourage, just say something plain like.."I see, or I understand."

when she brings him back, pull out that parent handbook and underline the part about safety security, well being, and where she signed about liabilty issues, and the school's responsiblity. tell her, in front of your director, you want her son to have all the benefits of school, but you can't control life every minute of the day.

no more than she can stop the wind from slamming her open car door into somebody's parked car and scratching their door.

life happens...

I think she needs to come and volunteer, maybe even in another room, and let her spy on you from a distance.

lab schools are perfect because they have the fishbowl or double sided mirror, so parents can go and watch and the kids (and some teachers) never realize when they are there.

don't change what you are or who you are...

from what I can see, you did all the right things! ;)