Letters of Recommendation

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Tutor, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Jan 27, 2016

Currently I am at a very small Catholic school. We only have 10 teachers on staff. It is quite a gossip filled place. I am planning on looking for a new position this spring. I am special ed so I've asked the sped director of the public schools and the public school psych for reference letters but I'm not sure who to ask for a third.

My principal will be devastated if I leave and I'm not sure how I can ask her. There is one teacher who I *think* would keep my request confidential. Would that be okay?

My reasons for looking are I'm just frustrated by my current coworkers and principal. It's not a great environment. It's not awful, just not enjoyable and I'm ready for a change.

I thought about telling the principal I need a letter just to keep my credentials up to date. Does that sound okay?

Opinions needed...

Thanks

3. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Jan 27, 2016

If this school is full of gossip, I don't think I would ask any teacher for a reference letter. I never know if he/she will let it slip that I am looking for another job. Even if this teacher has good intentions, some people just develop the habit of letting confidential information slip.

I would tell the principal that I need a letter to keep my credentials up to date because it's the truth.

For the third letter, I would see if I any of my teaching credential professors could write me a letter. Or maybe there's yet another administrator who is familiar with my classroom performance that I can consider asking.

Can I ask which state requires reference letters in order to keep teaching credentials active? I'm currently teaching in Cali and we're not required to submit letters of reference to renew credentials. In the past, we had to complete 150 hours of staff development within 5 years to renew our credentials.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2016

How do the sped director and psych in your local public school know of your work?

5. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Jan 27, 2016

The public school comes in for all my IEP's and ETR's. i am also half employed by them.

i don't need references for my licensure just thought I could tell my principal I am updating my personal files. I guess it's a bad excuse.

I have been there for 9 years after being a stay at home mom. Only one admin at the school.

6. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jan 27, 2016

When I was thinking of leaving my first job, I asked my principal for a letter because I was updating my portfolio. It's a valid reason.

7. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Jan 27, 2016

Agreed! This is also a very good reason to be asking for a recommendation or reference letter.

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 27, 2016

I'd be honest. It's hard to tell your principal, but it's ultimately the easiest way to move forward without feeling sneaky and lying. I've done it twice now, and both times I've been happy that I did. The one time I didn't... Well, that was unpleasant. Telling them would have also been unpleasant, but I'll take the one unpleasant moment during which I break the news over the multiple moments when I have to make up an excuse for why I need a day off to go on an interview and struggling to figure out who can write me a letter and/or serve as a reference in case they call to check. :2cents:

Caesar753 likes this.