Letters of Recommendation

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jen12, Dec 16, 2009.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Dec 16, 2009

Does anyone else find the letters of recommendation thing beyond frustrating?

I'm subbing, so, in a sense, I'm like a ghost. So far, I have one teacher who viewed me teaching his class, told me I was good, and has requested me a couple more times.

Beyond that, I have no clue who to ask for letters so I can find a job at this point. I finished my student teaching last year in December, so the letters I collected from my advisor and master teachers are now beyond the date that school districts will accept with an application.

How did you all do it? I mean, some people found a job as soon as they graduated, but with the job prospects right now, even sub jobs are hard to get...how do you get noticed enough to ask for a letter?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2009

Ask the principal at one of the schools you work at if he or she would be available to do a series of observations when you are in the school. They may be willing to do this if you are in the school fairly frequently and they are able to see you working with a variety of classes over a period of time.

4. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Dec 16, 2009

You could ask your master teacher and/or university supervisor to update the letters they already wrote for you.

5. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Dec 16, 2009

I'd go with the above suggestion.

6. guest_teacher

guest_teacher Rookie

Dec 17, 2009

White-out? ;)

In all seriousness, the expectations vis-a-vis letters of reference are unreasonable. Some of the districts that I have applied to require a letter from a superintendent (I am one of over 500 teachers in my district, as if the superintendent could visit our classrooms regularly). Others insist on letterhead (difficult when the principal has moved to a different district). One district had a special, 25-line table for references to fill out (my references would stop talking to me if I asked them to do something special for each job application). My favorite was the district that had five openings but required a separate application form and -- you guessed it -- separate copies of three reference letters.

What I've found is that districts are expressing wishes rather than specifying absolute requirements. If you have a letter that is out of date, submit it anyway. Elsewhere in the application, provide an updated phone number or e-mail address so that the district can contact the reference.

And, as someone else suggested, do not hesitate to ask a principal to write you a letter. If the person does not have time to observe you, he or she may even feel guilty enough to write a letter on the basis of your perceived qualities!

7. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Dec 29, 2009

While I found a job right out of college, I continue to apply to other positions occasionally (looking for greener pastures I suppose). I asked recruiters at job fairs about this, because I can't have my current supervisor(s) write letters.

First, they said that if the letters from college are only a few years old, those are still acceptable to use. Otherwise, updated letters, even from those same people, are okay. I did just that, and got two of my professors to re-write the letters. One of them even came and observed me again for part of a day to re-write it (but obviously, that may not be feasible for all).