Letters of Rec from Parents?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathmagic, Mar 9, 2014.

1. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2014

A slightly different question:

How do you feel about letters of recommendation from parents? I'm wrapping up my first true long-term teaching job (three months) after several years of subbing, and plan on getting a letter from the principal, one from my grade level colleagues all together, but then I've also been offered by parents to write a letter for me (most were wishing I could stay longer). Would be helpful at all to have a letter from parents in my file, or would it even be "right" in the eyes of those looking through my file?

(before the above mentioned letters I hope to get, I already have one from the principal of the school I subbed at a ton, from the two teachers I subbed for a ton and thus saw me when subbing for the other, and then my cooperating teacher way back when)

Thanks for any advice :)

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 9, 2014

Assuming that they are offering you a letter of rec, absolutely go ahead and accept it.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2014

I have used a letter from a parent before. I actually had both of her sons during different years and she wrote me a great letter. I got offered 3 jobs when I was using that letter, so I assume there was no problem with it.

5. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Mar 9, 2014

When I first read the title of the thread, i thought you meant from your own parents haha. But from parents of your students, I think that'd be great!

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2014

Thanks for the advice! I will have to let them know :)

Ha...I bet someone has actually tried that. I remember when I was working in retail before this 3-month stint, I would always be given tons and tons of resumes that I couldn't help but laugh at after reading them.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2014

I think it's fine as long as it's an "extra" letter. So if an application requires 3 letters, make sure you have 3 letters from professionals and then you could upload a 4th from a parent.

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2014

Was definitely in my thoughts. Since I'll have two principals (one subbing, one maternity leave), hopefully two sets of colleagues (again, subbing/maternity leave), and my original cooperating teacher from student teaching, that should be safe. Thanks!

9. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Mar 10, 2014

The one I used didn't help me at all, but who knows yours may. Wouldn't hurt to try, but I'd have some from educators as well.