Letter Writing!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by sophie1, Jul 7, 2008.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

Letter Writing States Project!

Thank you to everyone who is participating! Address lists will be sent out within the next few days. -Sophie1 8/27

I added an "extras" list on 8/22. Please see post #61 on the last page for details. This may help some of you that wanted to be part of the project, but couldn't due to the duplicate states rule. The project closes this Tuesday, August 26th. I will need a pm sent to me by that date- with a school address, thanks![/SIZE][/B]

As of August 18, 2008, the following states are participating: Colorado, Michigan, Washington State, New York, Virginia, Missouri, Texas, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Florida, Oklahoma, Kentucky, North Carolina, New Jersey, Maryland, Wisconsin, Utah, Illinois, California and Arizona. If you would like to be part of this project, keep reading this thread and send me a private message with your school address. :cool:

I am starting a simple and fun, letter project and would love for you to be a part of it! The idea is to connect 2nd grade classrooms from different states and write ONE nice letter (for the whole project) that is then photocopied about their community/state to share with other classrooms. Basically, for every letter you send out to people the list of states, you get one back to share with your students.

*The letter could be written by the teacher (even over the summer, but don't send out letters until September 1st) or one letter could by written by the class as a group project. The goal is to have your letter typed or neatly handwritten and then photocopied out for all the schools involved.

*Once you are part of the project, I will give you a list of different addresses to send your letters.

The goal is to keep the project small enough to succeed and big enough to have students learn about the United States as part of their social studies curriculum (letters would even make a nice bulletin board). Here is what should be included in the letter:

1. "Dear 2nd Grade Friends," "Hello from New York," or a similar fun generic title (friendly letter format)
    2. Name of state
    3. Type of community school is in: urban, suburban, rural
    4. Characteristics of area/state (i.e. weather/seasons, landscape/town/jobs)
    5. Picture (if possible) -pasted from the computer is ok
    6. Anything interesting about the state/community
    7. map of area if possible (googled is fine)
    **Remember to keep this simple, kid friendly and fun!

I really want this project to be a success. Please send me a private message with your name and school address if you are interested. The goal is to have ALL of your letters out in the mail by December 1st. [/SIZE][/FONT]

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

I'll participate!

4. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

Thanks!

I sent you a pm back. Thanks for the interest in the project. It should be pretty easy and a lot of fun for the kids!

CO is taken..

5. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 7, 2008

I'm in, thanks!!

Michigan

6. gab

gab Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

I don't know if you got my pm but I'd like to join. Washington. Thanks!

7. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

States Taken

Thank you for the responses! I am in the process of messaging all of you back...

So far Colorado, Michigan, Washington State and New York State have been taken for the project. I had a suggestion to include a map (even if it is a googled print out) of the general area, sounds good to me... please include this if you can.

We are looking for more states... Anyonelse interested?? ;)

8. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

State Update

Virginia has been added to the list!

Now we have Colorado, Michigan, Washington State, New York, and Virginia participating in the project. :)

9. c_muschany

c_muschany Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

I'd like to participate, I'm in Missouri. I have never sent a pm, so not sure how to go about, but please include me. Thanks, Cindy

10. gab

gab Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

I always forget how to pm as I do it so rarely but if you click once on the poster's name(it's underlined) you can do a pm...it's one of the options that drops down. Good luck! I'm glad you joined us...I'm the Washington part of this activity.

11. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

Thanks for helping out Gab! I received her pm. ;)

12. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

More States Added!

Missouri and Texas have joined our list of states...

Now we have: Colorado, Michigan, Washington State, New York, Virginia, Missouri and Texas!

We are looking for other states... :2up:

13. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

Missouri

Missouri,

I am not sure if you checked your private messages. If you get this, could you send me a private message with your school address??

Thanks a bunch!

14. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

New State Added

Pennsylvania has joined us! Welcome PA!!

Participating states as of July 12th:
    Colorado, Michigan, Washington State, New York, Virginia, Missouri, Texas and Pennsylvania! :woot:

15. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

My class will participate as well. Sounds fun! :) I will pm you, Sophie.

Tennessee

16. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

Thank you Tennessee! I received your pm and sent one back. You are all set for the project. I think it will be fun too. ;)

17. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

Two New States Added!

Tennessee and Florida have joined us! Welcome to you both!!

18. blue-eyed mom

blue-eyed mom Companion

Jul 12, 2008

What an awesome idea!! Thanks for organizing this! I'd love to participate.

19. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

Two More States Added!

Oklahoma and Kentucky have joined us!! Welcome! :2up:

I sent you both back a private message...

20. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

As of today, we have twelve states participating! Here is a list of the states: Colorado, Michigan, Washington State, New York, Virginia, Missouri (-need school address), Texas, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Florida, Oklahoma, and Kentucky.

21. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

We will take up to 8 more states for the project, please send a pm if interested. Thanks!

22. Red

Red New Member

Jul 16, 2008

Please send me the information I need to participate in the letter writing across country.

Thanks!

23. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

Hi Red,

As of right now, we have Colorado, Michigan, Washington State, New York, Virginia, Missouri, Texas, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Florida, Oklahoma, and Kentucky participating. What state are you from? If it is a different state and you are a grade 2 teacher, we would love to have you in the project.

If you click on my name above (Sophie1), it will give you the option to send a private message. Click on that and then send me your state name and school address.

I will then send you a private message back letting you know that you're in the project. To check your private messages, you look at the top-right corner of your screen. It will say private messages 1 or so, letting you know if you have mail. If you write to me, I always send something back. I don't want people to wonder if they are in the project.

When I get everyone in the project that will be in it, I will send out a list of school addresses to each person. You will then write one letter about your community/state and then photocopy it out for everyone on the list. Next, send it out in the mail. In the meantime, everyonelse will send you letters. It is an easy project that will be pretty fun to be in. Hopefully this helps and hopefully you can join us. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

24. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

Missouri,

If you look to the right corner of your screen, it tells you if you have a private message. Please check your messages. If I don't hear from you within a few days, I will have to open Missouri up to other people. :unsure:

The only thing I am waiting for is the school address for your state.

Thank you ;)

25. asumountaineer

asumountaineer Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

So we are only writing one letter for the whole project? If that is all it takes, I will participate. I live in North Carolina. I have been teaching first grade for 5 years, and this year I will be teaching second grade.

26. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

Yes, one letter for the whole project, photocopied for all the people on the list I give you. I'm keeping it that way for a few reasons: people will follow through and one letter is enough to excite second graders about other states.

If you send me a private message with your school address, I will put you down for North Carolina. Thanks for the interest!

I have to go now, but I will check back later today. Take Care!!

27. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

North Carolina has been added! Welcome!! :cool:

28. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

Thanks for joining! By the way, I think you will love second grade. The change from first to second is amazing. Enjoy!

29. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 17, 2008

Sophie-You're doing a great job organizing all of this-thanks! :)

30. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

:blush: Thanks!

31. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

Missouri was out of town... I have the address and we are all set! Thank you for the reply.

32. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 18, 2008

It looks like Georgia may be joining us! I'll write for sure when I'm positive.

33. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 19, 2008

New State Added

Welcome to the state of Georgia! We are very happy to have you with us! ;)

34. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

Another New State!

Welcome New Jersey! We are happy to have you join the project. :2up:

35. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

There is room for ONLY 5 more states. If your state is not listed below and you'd like to participate send me a pm.

Colorado, Michigan, Washington State, New York, Virginia, Missouri, Texas, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Florida, Oklahoma, Kentucky, North Carolina, Georgia and New Jersey are all participating as of July 22, 2008.

Remember you only have to write ONE letter for this project and send it to the people on the list. This is not an all year project, but a project to help students become more aware that there is a larger world out there. Thanks!

36. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

Red, I have a question about your address. Please check your private messages. Thanks!

37. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

Red, Unfortunately, your school address is not complete. I have sent a few messages and haven't heard anything. If you could read your private messages and send me back a private message that would be great.

Unfortunately, if I don't hear from you in a week, I'll have to open the Georgia up to other teachers. Thank you, I hope to hear from you soon.

38. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

I will give it a couple of weeks to make sure we have all of the people participating that would like to and then I'll send out the list of addresses to each of you. I can send the address list to you via private messaging or through the regular mail at your school. If you have a preference, please let me know.Thanks!

By the way, we would love to have up to 5 more states join us!!!!

39. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 30, 2008

Probably PM, or did I give you my e-mail?-because we don't start back til after Labor Day and the mail will be a mess for awhile. tHis will ensure I get it. Thanks, Sophie!
    Beth

40. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

Sounds good, I'll send you a pm. Thanks!

41. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

A New State Has Been Added

Welcome to the state of Maryland! We are happy to have you participate in our project. :clap: