Letter Writing

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by JennH1213, Nov 16, 2007.

1. JennH1213

JennH1213 Companion

Nov 16, 2007

What do you do for letter writing in 2nd grade? Just wanted to get some ideas for lessons. Thanks!

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Nov 16, 2007

One of the letter writing projects I give is the following:
    The students must persuade me why I must move, with my family, to the town where they all live. They need to incorporate the 5 parts of the letter as well as a topic sentence, supporting details, and a conclusion. I love reading them.

Another one I give is where the students write to the class. They again must incorporate all parts of a letter. They give detailed facts about a famous person and the class must guess who they are writing about.

4. 2ndgradebluejay

2ndgradebluejay Rookie

Nov 16, 2007

We just learned the friendly letter format. We wrote friendly letters to our shoulder and face partners. Then we had to write them to two teachers. I teach this skill now so we can write letters to Santa next month.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Nov 16, 2007

When I taught second grade we read "Diary of a Worm" and wrote diary entries from the worm's perspective.

On Valentine's Day, we wrote Compliment Letters to each other.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2007

My son's 2nd grade teamed up with another 2nd grade in the district. Each child was assigned a penpal and they wrote to each other during the year. In the spring the 2 schools have a joint picnic where all the penpals meet.

7. JennH1213

JennH1213 Companion

Nov 17, 2007

These are all wonderful ideas! I love it? Does anyone have any mini-lessons they do to discuss the parts of a letter or osmething like that?

8. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Nov 17, 2007

I just taught letters to my 1/2 combo class. I have them fold the paper in half before beginning. This way, it is a visual reminder for them to write the heading and closing at the fold line. Worked great! We wrote letters to our principal tot ell her why we love our school so much. Also, we write a letter to the special student of the week each week, so they are getting practice each week with the skill. :)

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 17, 2007

I like reading The Jolly Postman to the kids. It introduces several types of letters. You can then pick one and disect it. Have a form for the kids to fill in so they can see how the letter is formed. There is a Christmas version of The Jolly Postman out now.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2007

pen pals
    post card exchange
    thank you letters to classroom volunteers
    Flat Stanley letters

11. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Nov 18, 2007

12. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Nov 29, 2007

I talk about the parts of the letter in relation to parts of the body. Start at the top of your body/letter, and move down.

Stand up.
    Touch your head-heading-top of the letter
    Touch your mouth-greeting-you say hello with your mouth,
    Touch your torso-body-middle, biggest part
    Touch your feet-closing-use your feet to leave (ok, stretching it, I know)
    Then signature.

They do remember it!

13. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2007

In my daughter's hs English curriculum this year she had to write a friendly letter and we are currently working on writing a persuasive piece. She also did a friendly letter last year.

14. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 25, 2007

Ok, we do write letters quite a bit, but alos I think its important to include cards (for birthday and thank you's)

my kids do LOTS of cards, next week we will do THANK YOU cards.

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 25, 2007

When I taught 2nd, I discovered students loved telling on others. So we read The True Story of the Three Little Pigs. The children could write to the judge to get the wolf out of jail, they could write to his mother to tell on the wolf, or they could write to the pigs with warnings. They loved it. Most wrote to the wolf to tell him why they did not believe him.

16. rainyday

rainyday Rookie

Jan 13, 2008

17. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2008

When someone would do something nice for our class we would write a thank you letter as a class and then I would assign a few students to do the actual writing on a card.

18. annafish

annafish Companion

Jan 14, 2008

I am doing "thank you cards" with letters this week. We read Town Mouse, Country Mouse. Students will choose to be a town mouse or country mouse and write a letter to the mouse they traded spaces with. I think thank you notes are a lost art these days!

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 15, 2008

This is a great site for the format:
    www.teachingbug.com

I like to present their letter writing to the world. I read the book Flat Stanley to the class, he travels across country in an envelope. There's a complete web site dedicated to the character where teachers have their students write to schools all over the WORLD! It's 'flatstanley.enoreo.on.ca/ I've also looked up celebrity addresses at:

www.seeing-stars.com/Search.shtml

We've sent letters & cutout paper dolls of Stanley, or cut out dolls that resemble your students and call them Flat Sandy or Flat Charles. We've had great luck with requests to Tiger Woods, he sends autographed pictures & other paraphenalia. Bill Cosby sent a favorite bread pudding recipe along w/an autographed picture. President Bush, or the governor of your state would also be greats. just to name a few. Most celebrities have personal secretaries who do their correspondence. On the Flat Stanley web site you'll find pictures of Stanleys who have been on space shuttels and T.V. shows.

Good luck!

20. vjcdncr

vjcdncr Rookie

Apr 1, 2008

An idea that I am going to use for a lesson plan for my Methods of Teaching Reading class is having them write a letter to a family member explaing why he/she is special. The lesson focuses on using details.

Hope this helps!

21. c_muschany

c_muschany Rookie

Apr 2, 2008

Hi, I had my students all write letters to the President. We discussed what we thought were major issues in the world: the environment, pollution, poverty, gas prices, etc. I told them to tell the President their concerns. They were so excited. I wrote the address to the White House on the board and told them I would mail them all in one large envelope.

I mailed them the same day. Well.... The kids asked me for a few day if the President would write back. I told them he was awful busy, but I hoped he would. We forgot about it and what happened? :woot:

We received a manilla envelope a few days ago with the White House return address. I have to say, I was rather excited. I waited until the next day and called the children to the reading area. I showed them the envelope and waited until they figured out who it was from. Then we opened it together. Inside was a large photo of Barney, the little terrier in the White House front lawn and it says something like, "Welcome to the White House, Love Barney", and it has his paw print. There was also a letter from the President himself on official White House stationary. I am sure it is a form letter and the signature is a stamp, but it was really neat. I was excited that we received something in return. It made them look forward to writing more letters.

Cindy

22. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 3, 2008

That's really cool! I bet the kids enjoyed that.

23. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Apr 6, 2008

We are going to write letters to the troops serving in Iraq. We have a parent with a brother serving over there, so she will be a liaison for us.

24. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 7, 2008

Every time we go on a field trip with a tour (like a museum) we write thank you letters. We also write thank you letters to any guest who comes to our school. Those alone are probably 4-5 letters a year.

In addition, we have pen pals.