Letter to students

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Cyndi23, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I saw on a teacher board where the teacher wrote a letter to the students welcoming them and telling a little bit about themselves. The assignment portion was for the students to write a letter back. I think that this would be a great activity because a) The kids can learn a bit about me and b) I can see where they stand as writers right off the bat without them knowing i'm looking at grammar and such. Sneaky huh? I thought I could put the outline of a letter on the back of my letter in case the students need help with organization.

Has anyone done this before? Was it worthwhile?

Thanks!

3. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

That sounds like a great idea, but I'm not going to do it. As a first-year teacher who had a difficult student teaching experience in classroom management, I'm going to set the tone early. If I have to be the "meanie"for a couple months, that's fine with me.

I think it's a great activity for you though! Nice trick with trying to discover their writing skills! Good luck and keep us posted on how it works!

4. ELAteacher

ELAteacher Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

I'm doing something sort of similar. Instead of a letter, I am giving the students a questionaire on the first day as their "homework" assignment that they are to bring back to me the following day. On it are questions about the students' interests, likes, dislikes, etc. Just so I can get to know them. Then, the following day, I am going to tell the students that now it isn't them who has homework that night, but their PARENTS! The kids should really love this. I'll send home a letter with the students that night in which I ask parents to briefly write me a description of their child as a person, their academic strengths and weaknesses, and anything they wish for me to know. This will be a great way to sort of "break the ice" with parents and establish communication right off the bat.

Now, I've never done this before-- I actually read this idea somewhere else-- but I'm definately going to try it and I just thought I'd offer the idea up to anyone else.