Letter to Students

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by MissScrimmage, Aug 17, 2010.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 17, 2010

Does anyone send their students a letter before school starts? I did this when I taught younger grades, but I'm not sure what to all include. I want to be a welcome letter and help set the tone for the year.

Any suggestions?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2010

I have in the past, but didn't this year. I do a newsletter type of letter to the students/parents. It usually has some information about me, a little about my class, ways to contact me, request for volunteers, and any real important policies (homework), and any extra supplies that I may need them to buy.

4. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 18, 2010

Well I create one that I give out for the first day of school, but the secretary ends up passing it out to parents when they come to register. I feel they don't read it, so on the first day I give it out again anyway. Maybe something more person would be nice, like a postcard that says thhat you cant wait to meet them?

5. missk83

missk83 Companion

Aug 18, 2010

I teach younger kids like you used too, but I think even 6th graders would think its a real treat to have a letter addressed to them sent to them by their teacher before school starts!

You can let them know a little about you, and some fun/interesting/exciting projects or activities you have lined up for the year.

I also do a little blurb about rules and good behavior (again, mine is directed to 2nd graders), but I don't think you can go wrong letting them know up front that, while your class will be interesting and engaging, there are certain expectations you have as well.