Letter to parents

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ShortTeach, Dec 4, 2014.

1. ShortTeach

ShortTeach Rookie

Dec 4, 2014

Monday I will be starting my new job as a freshmen World Civ teacher (Yay!) I am starting mid-way through the year, but I am lucky enough to have been a student teacher at the school since the beginning of the year. I'm quite familiar with the department staff and administration as well as the school itself. I have even had the opportunity to observe the classes I am taking over and the old teacher transferred within the building and has left me all materials. I guess this is about as smooth as it can be for a teacher entering mid-year so that's good. ;)

I wanted to send a letter to the parents explaining the change. Can you all just take a quick peek and tell me if it's okay? Again, my first time doing something like this so I'd appreciate any feedback!

P.S. I'm also going to use the first day as a day to quickly review rules and expectations and do an icebreaker activity. Yes or no?

Dear parent,

I hope that your child is doing well and enjoying their time in World Civilization. Starting today, there will be some changes in the course and I wanted to send a letter to update you. XXXXXXX, your child’s teacher, is taking an exciting new opportunity to work as a XXXXXX at XXXXXXX. XXXXXXXX and the staff are extremely excited for her transfer and we know she will do a great job in her journey to help our students.

As a result of this transfer, I will be taking over XXXXXX classes for the remainder of the school year beginning today, Monday, December 8th. I wanted parents to be aware of this change to avoid any confusion. It is my goal to help your child succeed in their World Civ course and I hope to work with parents to achieve this. Please discuss the change with your child and remind them that classroom expectations and rules remain the same.
    If you have any questions or concerns regarding your child’s education, please feel free to contact me. My contact information is listed below.

I look forward to working with your child and hope we will have a great trimester together.

Thank you,
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

3. TheGr8Catsby

TheGr8Catsby Rookie

Dec 5, 2014

I wouldn't say what the current teacher's position is or where she has gone. I would just say something more generic like "X has transferred to another position, so I will be..."

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2014

I agree. Information about any reasons behind changes in staffing should come from administration. You could send a quick note introducing yourself and explaining that you will be the teacher for the remainder of the year.

5. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Dec 5, 2014

On the first day, I'd definitely spend time introducing yourself and your procedures and rules. However, I may not spend too much time doing an icebreaker activity because the students have already been together in the same class for half a year.

6. ShortTeach

ShortTeach Rookie

Dec 5, 2014

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think twice about not including that stuff because it was an internal transfer and she is quite happy about it, but I agree that maybe it isn't my place. I revised the letter. :)

The students have only been together a couple weeks as we work on the trimester system here. I'm thinking just a short introduction activity... more so I can get to know their names and faces. Nothing too major.