Letter to Parents re:Pregnancy

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsFrench, Sep 17, 2009.

1. MrsFrench

MrsFrench Rookie

Sep 17, 2009

Hi everyone! I want to send a letter home to my student's parents regarding my pregnancy and such, but I have no idea where to start or what to say! Does anybody have one they've used that you could post on here so I can get an idea of what to write? Thanks so much for your help! :)

3. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2009

When are you planning on going on leave? I'd wait until about 3 weeks prior and send them a note telling them that your time is near, and you have contracted the world's best sub, Mrs. X, who is so excited to be working with this group of amazing students....

If you are early in your pregnancy, I'd just tell the kids and count on them to spread the news to their parents. Even if only 3 go home and tell, the news will spread like wildfire.

4. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Sep 17, 2009

Or Mr. X... :)

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2009

Kimrandy gave good advise. I wouldn't send a letter until close to when you are going to take leave but the part about the sub was great. If you have prepared things, or know when you are going to return that would be good too. You can answer personal questions if you want, but it really isn't their business.

Hey, good luck - get your sleep now when you can and, most of all, enjoy!

6. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Sep 18, 2009

I never sent out a letter, but if I would have, I would have sent out one 2-3 weeks before I left on maternity leave. That way you can inform parents on who the long term sub is, and so on. If you give them the information too early, they won't remember it and you'll have to do it again.

7. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2009

:yeahthat:

The parents should have a general idea you're pregnant long before, but they don't need the details until a couple of weeks prior to your leave. If they're really concerned, they can ask.

8. teach2boyz

teach2boyz Rookie

Sep 18, 2009

The first time I was pregnant, I was teaching at a private school w/our church. The parents knew...as many attended the church and we ran in the same "circles".

The second time, the kids told...then I went on bed rest and was out for 4 months. A letter went home--but it was only 2 days warning as, I was put on immediate bed rest.

At an end of the year conference one dad had no idea I was even gone for 4 months. Now that's sad...didn't he even TALK to his son about school...answer: NO!

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 18, 2009

I don't remember ever getting a letter from one of my children's teachers saying when they were going on maternity leave. The teacher usually told the kids that she was pregnant & word would filter out as to when she was due. My son would eventually come home & say that his teacher would soon be leaving to have the baby & that he'd met the sub. Then he would come home & say that she had the baby. Word of mouth is great!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2009

Run the idea of a letter home by your administrators. They may have copies of letters sent home in the past. In my district, the letter regarding the long term sub replacement goes out from the main office.

11. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Sep 19, 2009

The principal should be doing this! That's why they did paid the big bucks. Serioiusly, it's just more professional that way.

12. MrsFrench

MrsFrench Rookie

Sep 19, 2009

My boss asked me to have a letter ready to send when I do tell the kids, just so they are hearing it from me and not from the kids. And to tell them that we are in the process of looking for a highly qualified sub yada yada. She then will send a letter regarding the sub when the times comes. I know that's what they did last year with another teacher, and that's what she's asked me to do as well.

13. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2009

Is the other teacher still at your school? If so, maybe she can provide you a copy of what she sent home, or maybe the principal still has a copy? I still think I'd wait to tell the parents - and the kids - as long as possible, probably until you can't avoid it any longer because you're physically showing. For me, with my 3rd pregnancy, I was much smaller than I was with babies 1 and 2, and I didn't even announce it to the staff until I was almost 6 months along. She was born in September, and right before we left for summer vacation, I told the kids and the staff.
    Kim