Letter to Parents( please critique)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by curtukgrl, Sep 16, 2009.

1. curtukgrl

curtukgrl Rookie

Sep 16, 2009

I have just written a letter to the parents of my students. Could you please read and tell me what you think...

September 16, 2009

Welcome Parents and Students, To…
    Mrs. Teacher's 3rd/4th Grade Reading class.
    My name is Mrs. Teacher. I graduated from My University in May of 2009 with a Bachelors of Science in Elementary Education, with a concentration in English. I have been involved in the learning process of students for a number of years prior to my degree. I started off by volunteering in the School District A system and from there obtain my certification to become a substitute teacher. I have substituted in School District A and for the past 3 years with the School District B. I am married and have 4 children of my own; two boys 9 and 15 and two girls 10 and 18.
    My goals for this school year are to be the best role model within the school system I can possibly be for your children. I will be working with your child to help sharpen their reading and comprehension skills. As well as build their fluency and phonemic awareness.
    Reading is an extremely important value to posses in our society. I expect for all of my students to be able to grow in their reading and comprehension throughout the school year. And to achieve the highest possible score they can on their testing and come to find their imaginations through reading, writing and interaction with one another.
    I will be happy to discuss any questions you may have for me throughout the year. I hope that we can work together as a team to help your child receive their full potential. I can be reached by phone at Phone # here or email email address here
    I truly look forward to have this time with your children; I thank you for your support in advance.

Thank You,

Mrs. Teacher

Of course I changed some of the tell tell areas. But just want to know if this is good enough, can it be better, or should I scrap it and start over again.:help:

3. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Sep 16, 2009

Personally I wouldn't include my education and work history. Maybe that varies regionally? I also definately wouldn't include any other districts names in my letter. I would focus more on what you put in the second 1/2 of the letter.

4. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2009

Obtain...to obtained
    You need to stick to either children or child. I will be working with your child to help sharpen his/her reading...skills OR...with your children to sharpen their reading...skills. Don't start those sentences with As well and And. They are not complete sentences, etc.:D
    Rebel1

5. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Sep 16, 2009

Yea, I would get rid of the entire first paragraph. It doesn't flow well.

Other then that, it's good!

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2009

Personally, I like seeing the education and work history in there, though you may want to put work history first. Getting the cert in 2009 screams "new teacher", when that's not really entirely the case. If you had long-term sub positions, I'd note it. The two things on my current 1st-grade teacher's bio that helped comfort my wife and I were that she has a son of her own, and that she has an ESL certification.

And, I would agree that you should run it through a couple of grammar/spelling checks. "Posses" is "possess" unless you're talking about gathering groups of people to run down a criminal.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2009

It must be regional...this isn't information that is typically shared with parents here (although our qualifications are readily available on-line).

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 17, 2009

Change receive to reach.

I would avoid personal information too. I bring it up if parents ask, I don't mind sharing, but some parents might not like it either.

9. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Sep 17, 2009

I agree with getting rid of the first paragraph. It almost sounds like you are trying to convince parents you are qualified to teach. I would also put the third paragraph first because it is what the class is about, then the goals, and finally contact information.

10. CANteach

CANteach Rookie

Sep 17, 2009

I agree with getting rid of the education/job history.

CanukTeacher and Mrs. C. I think it must be a regional thing - no where I've taught in Canada would do this. Maybe because we have to be certified to sub/teach unless for very rare circumstances AND everything is online?

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2009

The fact that we are teaching means that we are qualified for the position we have. I've never felt that I needed to discuss that with a parent, nor have any ever asked.

12. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Sep 17, 2009

Don't include when you recieved your degree. Your letter is nice in my opinion but it does scream NEW TEACHER and it seems, not only in my experience as a first year (3 years ago) but in other teachers that I have seen in their first year, parents love to eat first year teachers. Maybe just leave that out. I do tell my parents personal info about myself because I feel it makes me more human to them.

13. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Sep 17, 2009

Again it might be regional, but personal information yes, credentials and teaching experience no. One of our board admin once told us that we didn't have to justify using professional judgement - that is what we are paid for. To me the concept of including credentials is sort of the same. I don't have to prove to parents that I can teach -that is the administrator's job (to find evidence to or not to hire me). I wouldn't even respond to a parent who asked about this type of information - I'd simply direct them to our admin. Whatever is normal in your region your letter needs to sound caring but also self assured. You don't want to send out a letter that invites parents to question you. You want to send out a letter that assures them and sets clear boundaries.

14. curtukgrl

curtukgrl Rookie

Sep 18, 2009

Thanks for all the advice. I have corrected the errors. All the personal info is what my principal asked for. I am nervous enough being a new teacher, but she wanted me to let all the parents know up front. And trust me they all know now since Open House was last night!! I hope that I put some of the parents at ease last night. Although I could not confirm if I had their child or not because I do Not have any students as of yet!!!:eek::confused::eek: I won't know which students I have til hopefully this afternoon or Monday morning!!!

15. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Sep 18, 2009

This should be one sentence. The part starting with, as well sounds funny by itself and I believe it is a fragment.

16. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Sep 18, 2009

I agree about not putting in when you got your certification. My first year teaching I told my students it was my first year. Big mistake! Now I'm in my 3rd year and I reveal nothing about what college I attended or when. In my letter to parents I simply told them I'm excited to work with their child, and outlined my classroom expectations and grading policies. They were asked to sign and return it, and I always keep the slips so that if a parent comes in saying "I didn't know how you graded" I'm covered.

Hope this helps!

17. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2009

Is this a common thing in the US? In the UK we would never dream of writing to the parents of our students to tell them that we are qualified to teach them and the other stuff.