Letter to Kids and Parents...

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by maemcgov, Aug 8, 2007.

1. maemcgov

maemcgov Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

Hello everyone,
    I am a brand new teacher (just got my job on Friday!) and I was encouraged by my new principal to get a letter out to the kids in my class ASAP. I plan to introduce myself and talk about what we are going to do this year, but I had also thought it would be nice to have every student bring in something so that we could do some sort of getting-to-know-you activity in the first few days. Does anyone have any good ideas for what that could be and what activities I could do with them?
    Thanks in advance,
    Mary

3. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I'm going to be doing something similar. I have open house night a few days before school. I plan on starting by having a brown paper lunch bag filled with about 5 or 6 things that represent who I am to introduce myself to the parents and students. Im going to supply each student a brown paper bag and their first assignment is to bring in a few things that they would like to share with the class. They have to be things that tell us who they are as a person. (of course that have to be classroom appropriate). Then on the first day students will have an opportunity to share. Then I'm thinking of maybe doing an interview right after they share. Each student will be paired up and they can ask questions about the objects. I'm still finalizing this idea though because it may be too time consuming.