Letter Sounds

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by PinkLily, Aug 19, 2010.

1. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Aug 19, 2010

I plan on introducing/reviewing one letter sound per day for the first few weeks. Is there a certain order in which the letters should be taught?

3. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 19, 2010

What grade are you? In most programs, letters are usually introduced according to frequency and ease of blending. So s,m,a,h, p are introduced quickly. Think Wheel of Fortune letters. The more common the letter, the more words you can blend.

4. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Aug 19, 2010

I teach first grade. I want to introduce the letters so that it will be easy to start 'making words'.

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 19, 2010

Don't most kids learn their letter sounds in Kindergarten? I know some first graders would need a refresher and some may have never picked it up but is that really differentiating?

Curious?

6. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Aug 19, 2010

I actually teach at a French Immersion school, so my students have never had any English instruction. They did learn their letters and sounds in French, just not English. Luckily, most of the sounds are the same in both languages, that's why I plan on doing a quick refresher of one letter sound per day to start the year.

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2010

If I were you, I'd post this same question on the kinder board. They would probably be more familiar with how to introduce letter sounds.